Celica Parcel Tray Sub Install

Zoran

Hey Guys,

I posted this in the Celica section forgetting about this area of the forums.

Basicaly I have a Gen 5 celica that didnt come with a parcel tray.

What I wanted to do was get some bass into the car with losing any of my cars storage funtionality. So I designed a custom parcel tray using 10mm ply and mounted a 12" 800W pioneer sub using a bridged 300W Pioneer amp.. High pressure struts allow for efforts less lift

Like I said i didnt want to lose funtionality so I'm using a Narva Power Couple and single line clip (for control line)... this allows me to disconnect and remove the setup less than 10seconds.

Next step is to possibly invert mount a slim PS2 on the opposite (underside) of the sub and have two LCDs mounted on either side of the sub (top side)... if anyone has any ideas i'll be happy to take them on board, lemme know if you guys want to see it from another angle.

Feedback appreciated

DSC00534.JPG

DSC00535.JPG

DSC00538.JPG

DSC00544.jpg

umm one thing... is that a free air sub??... shouldn't u box it??

if u'r concerened about space i'd highly recommend diy fiberglass sealed enclosure like in one of the corners and the amp on the other side... it will barely use any space and u won't end up with your rear window being smashed... :ph34r:

no not a free air. however when the hatch is closed the boot becomes a simulated box... .. dme maybe i'll get one of those sun shades for the rear window... my window tint is pretty dark so i'm hoping that helps my case... i had to do this install on a budget being a fulltime student.. as far as sound goes it delivers exactly what i wanted. the other thing about the celica is that it aint a big car so sound appears to be channeled well.. havent played with fiberglass yet.. something i still need to learn more about

gday zoran!

looks like a decent job youve done there! not all of us drive showcars and some of us (including me) really need the bootspace! and since youre happy with the sound that you get out of the sub then thats the most important thing.

but on that same token, the fact that anyone who tries to look through the rear window could probebly spot it, together with the fact you can remove it all in about 10 seconds would worry me IMHO - whether the car has an alarm or not. im not knocking the worked youve already done, but its harder to trust people these days, and wouldnt want to tempt people into breaking into my stuff.

maybe later on when youve got the cash and the time, you could try the custom fibreglass install similar to what ive already done with my rolla, same thing that d_ice was talking bout earlier. i chose an 8" sub and positioned it so i can make the most of the remaining bootspace, since im always pulling down the rear seats to load sh!t in the back.

diysubbox1.jpg

DSCF1095.jpg

DSCF1128.jpg

fibreglassing is heaps fun if you like to get your hands dirty.. if ya decide to try it though, just pm me if ya got any questionz

JJCRU23R is 99.99% right that's exactly what i ment... allthough i think the amplifier would've looked better opposite to the sub but that's just choice... great work still

oh n one thing... the parcel tray would NOT make a good "simulated" box... first of all its WAAAAAAAAY too big... second of all it'll be leaking air all over.... i think that the only logical choice left is fiberglass... n it doesn't cost as much as you think.... it'll prob cost u less than $100 in materials from bunnings or cheaper from fiberglass stores or wateva... it's easy n it's heaps of fun... but keep in mind u'll be sanding for a long long long time if u'r going to paint it... it'll suit better if u carpet it the same color as your boot

try to copy JJCRU23R's design coz that would be your best solution for space saving...

go to www.caraudioaustralia.com for fiberglassing tutorials they got some good ones

if only u were in Sydney i would've been able to help u out with the install... unless u don't mine a 14sumthin hr drive lol

Edited by d_ice

JJCRU23R is 99.99% right that's exactly what i ment... allthough i think the amplifier would've looked better opposite to the sub but that's just choice... great work still

yea umm.. the amp now lives underneith the front passenger seat- 1 day i needed to pull the back seats down and i had to remove the amp in order to fit the stuff i needed to take home! theres still decent footspace for the person sitting in the back so im cheering :P

i was considering putting a either a 2nd kicker on the other side, or leave that space for a carputer box or mount the amp there somehow, but later decided not to...

grocerys fill up the space real quick! and would be impossable to fit my kids stroller in the boot if i had another sub in the left corner.

where do you get cheap fibreglass???????????????

bunnings has been the cheapest for me but im SURE theres gotta be a place you can buy in bulk???

Edited by JJCRU23R

oh yea another thing bout the ps2...

would be kinda hard to change games or reach 4 the controls (on/off) when your inside the car if you put it underneith the parcel shelf. since that parcel shelf seems pretty hard 2 reach your hand under coz it looks like 1 solid peice, also, the vibrations from the sub would possibly make the dvd/game disc jump from time to time? glove box seems more logical for the ps2.

but yea once again if it seems to work for you then do it!

where do you get cheap fibreglass???????????????

bunnings has been the cheapest for me but im SURE theres gotta be a place you can buy in bulk???

i buy my fiberglass from bunnings too... i dunno where u can get the fiberglass from exactly... but i do know that there are shops that specialize in that n they'r cheaper even when not in bulk.... try boat repair places or surfboard places (are surfboards made outta fiberglass??? i ain't no surfie, only been to the beach once in 6 years lol)

n about the amp under the seat... i wanted to do that too but i'v heard some horror stories... just watch out for fire lol... y don't u build a false floor for it in the boot... if only the sub was a little lower you would'v been able to fit the amp on top of it, try it anyway

just had an idea - what if he could some how cover the back of the sub so that the parcel tray kinda doubles as a box?

theres a lot of area underneith that parcel shelf... and it doesnt matter the shape of the box, just as long as theres enough area inside the box to accomodate the 12" sub... basically itll be a floating sub box?

he could keep the sub where it is and improve the sound quality at the same time.

DSC00544.jpg

just an idea.... just as long as the box can carry X amount of litres to suit his sub then itll be sweet.

the right size should be in the subs instructions

Edited by JJCRU23R

i actually thought of that idea at first... BUT... there goes his boot space.... very uneconomical idea... i think it'll be way better to do corner boxes... but if it does work well n it doesn't eat allotta room then he should go for it coz he likes that design oh n go SEALED enclosure not ported... a proper ported enclosure is way bigger than a sealed one

Edited by d_ice

Tayles: its 10mm+ ply which resists sagging/warping... MDF dont stand a chance, which is very funny when peeps start making sub boxes out it, over time the particles begin to expand reducing res... but i guess they compensate with F4rkloads of liquid nails :D

JJCRU23R: you seem to understand the celica setup, yes when the boot is closed its a simulated box, and you can hear the difference (although slight).. plus the rear window bouces most of the low frequency to the front of the car.

This was my first attempt at the parcel tray.. in future i'd prolly go a much more powerful amp and sub which will warrant an enclosure. Your box sketch could quite easily done using your method of extending the box across the shelf, filing the required litre space.

d_ice: The parcel tray sits quite high so JJCRU23R's concept drawing would easily allow for storage, remember at the end of the day i havent lost a single cubic inch as the whole setup simply clicks off.

Keep it coming guys, this info your giving me is gold... i might even start design on another tray and see what i can do with it.

good luck with it dude :P

i tend 2 ask 4 advice in these forums WHILE im doing any modz especially when it comes to stuff like speakers and wiring...

kinda like having another set of eyes looking over me just in case things could be better if i did things slightly different...

im still in the process of building pods for my new RF punch 6.5 components :)

alls going well except havent got enough time to finish it just yet... sundays my only time to do it

DSCF1453.jpg

Edited by JJCRU23R

d_ice: The parcel tray sits quite high so JJCRU23R's concept drawing would easily allow for storage, remember at the end of the day i havent lost a single cubic inch as the whole setup simply clicks off.

Keep it coming guys, this info your giving me is gold... i might even start design on another tray and see what i can do with it.

if u don't mind taking the parcel tray off n putting back on then by all means go for it... coz u like that design n it does the job by having a proper box

check out this design

post-3317-1171611919_thumb.jpg

u might wanna have the box as big as the parcel itself so it doesn't have to hang so low in the boot... the blue bit is where u could relocate the amp... like to the side or even the bottom of the box

n never hesitate to ask on forums no matter how stupid the question is... measure twice cut once... having a different point of view can never be harmfull ;) anytime cuz

yea d_ice that pic makes more sense... really isnt much of a big deal to relocate the amp.

plus weight distribution is more even.. hold up the amp would still weigh it down more on the left side.

but yea anyhow his box wouldnt fall as far down, and would be much easier to build a square box than the irregular shapes on my drawing. wood wont cost that much - why not just go4it!

im still in uni and i got a wife n kid already and i still manage 2 find money SOMEWHERE for this sorta crap :P do it!

oh yea d_ice - measure twice cut once ay? thats some good advice there! :P

Edited by JJCRU23R

if u don't mind taking the parcel tray off n putting back on then by all means go for it... coz u like that design n it does the job by having a proper box

u might wanna have the box as big as the parcel itself so it doesn't have to hang so low in the boot... the blue bit is where u could relocate the amp... like to the side or even the bottom of the box

n never hesitate to ask on forums no matter how stupid the question is... measure twice cut once... having a different point of view can never be harmfull ;) anytime cuz

Yeah, I could see that design finishing off to be a tidy one... better yet your modified design would allow for a second 12" sub to be fitted next to it given that the amp has been relocated *kudos* ... which will solve my "too much free space" issue i've currently got..

one thing i now have to factor in is the weight strain on the tray it self... actually come think of it, this box attachment idea will probably act as a stiffener ... dame this thing gonna kane the current setup

one thing i now have to factor in is the weight strain on the tray it self... actually come think of it, this box attachment idea will probably act as a stiffener ... dame this thing gonna kane the current setup

if u'r good with welding n u have access to steel bars... then make some braces and weld them either side of the boot under the tray... or just copy the parcel tray out of some MDF

oh n don't bother getting a second sub... sell the one u'v got... and with that money and the money for the second sub go buy yourself a single good sub... 1 good sub is better than 2 average subs

about the weight... pioneer makes those slim subs... i haven't heard them or heard any reviews about them but check em out... they'r heaps light and the box is smaller than a conventional sub's box

I hear braces..............make sure u fasten them properly....man in an accident I would be worried... :(

the tray is hindged and locked in place by the hatch... it ain going any where

d_ice: yeah i was eye'ing off the pioneer slim line... their main use is for cars with minimal space like utes, etc.. and they weigh heaps more than the current one, but only need small boxes... i must admit too, i'm a sucka for blue, my bike and leathers are blue, my sub is blue.... and hopefully my Silly_ka will be blue :) (one day) that kinda got me off the 1200W slim and on to the 800W i have now.

Atm i think i'll take a rest and concentrate on the dash... I just got me a "Road Angel - Navigator 7000" and am making a regulated powersupply/harness so i dont have to use the cigarette lighter socket... i do a bit of tourning.. .plus i'm a gadget freak