JDM tail lights question

he has a shop and would need to pay rent and tax which adds to the cost of the products he sells. product knowledge is important too but i doubt you are paying for that. he used to ask what an oil filter is all the time. i can get parts cheaper because i get them direct. japanese parts are never cheap anyhow unless used.

Edited by kcorro

you can make them because those were home made. that web page used to have step by step with photos.

factory LED only came out with the sedan! though the style is ugly to me.

i got a question!

should the tail lights come with wires and stuff?

or do we just re use the wires we have on our car?

coz the guy who is selling it... have no wires at all.

Just the cover.

Edited by XploShun

no wires but depending on the version you may need sockets suited to that lamp. always try your existing sockets if they fit before you go out and order the sockets needed as they are not cheap.

you can however if your existing sockets do not screw into the lamp holes is to cut the grooves off the sockets so they are smooth and then they would fit into any holes. they would be loose so you would need to silicone them down. when you need to change a blown bulb you would need to cut the silicone to be able to replace the bulb.

use your existing wires but what i am saying is if the sockets cannot screw into the designated holes then you either have to order a set of wires from toyota or modify your exisiting sockets by cutting off their grooves so they can fit into any of the holes

use your existing wires but what i am saying is if the sockets cannot screw into the designated holes then you either have to order a set of wires from toyota or modify your exisiting sockets by cutting off their grooves so they can fit into any of the holes

so you're saying if im buying ones like

600x4502006091200668lp5.jpg

or

600x4501170684687img050fy1.jpg

i have to buy a set of wires and sockets from toyota?? oooo noo... are they expensive?

thought its just plug and play!! like.. use the same sockets and wire from the ones i have

DAMN!!!! :(

again i am saying what should be obvious. if there are no wires then how are you going to install them?

either use your original wires or go to toyota to buy a new set of wires.

chances of your original wires fitting 50/50 because there are different versions even if the lamp looks the same.

the first picture is missing the weathershield foam. you need that to prevent water and rattles. not sure if your original one is the same size. again if it does not fit you have to improvise or order it from toyota.

i have to buy a set of wires and sockets from toyota?? oooo noo... are they expensive?

thought its just plug and play!! like.. use the same sockets and wire from the ones i have

some are plug and play but there are different versions.

sockets for the sedan cost about $100 so i dare say that the hatch would be the same. then you need to buy bulbs or use any spare ones you got.

• 1 month later...

no wires but depending on the version you may need sockets suited to that lamp. always try your existing sockets if they fit before you go out and order the sockets needed as they are not cheap.

you can however if your existing sockets do not screw into the lamp holes is to cut the grooves off the sockets so they are smooth and then they would fit into any holes. they would be loose so you would need to silicone them down. when you need to change a blown bulb you would need to cut the silicone to be able to replace the bulb.

wwwic8.jpg

again i am saying what should be obvious. if there are no wires then how are you going to install them?

chances of your original wires fitting 50/50 because there are different versions even if the lamp looks the same.

the first picture is missing the weathershield foam. you need that to prevent water and rattles. not sure if your original one is the same size. again if it does not fit you have to improvise or order it from toyota.

sockets for the sedan cost about $100 so i dare say that the hatch would be the same. then you need to buy bulbs or use any spare ones you got.

I think i'm the unlucky one coz mine one has panel thing in my tail light so anyone who are going to have JDM tail lights will have to do some mods on his facelifted one like mine

Panel

20070405136hp2.jpg

but i still made my car like this

200704081411ab1.jpg

as i'm using the panel so the lights on the both sides of the reverse lights light on only for the brake but not the parking lights, coz there is only one contact in the inside lights' sockets

so did u mean i've to get the sockets from toyota to make them light on for the parkies as well?

Edited by AscentSport

wwwic8.jpg

I think i'm the unlucky one coz mine one has panel thing in my tail light so anyone who are going to have JDM tail lights will have to do some mods on his facelifted one like mine

Panel

20070405136hp2.jpg

200704081411ab1.jpg

as i'm using the panel so the lights on the both sides of the reverse lights light on only for the brake but not the parking lights, coz there is only one contact in the inside lights' sockets

so did u mean i've to get the sockets from toyota to make them light on for the parkies as well?

Got this on me facelift stivo too...courtesy of MarioX ^_^

wwwic8.jpg

Panel

20070405136hp2.jpg

200704081411ab1.jpg

unlucky for dennis ,he done his 1 with JDM tail light on his facelift sportivo too

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=7335

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=5895

Edited by waiwong38

AscentSport

I too have a facelifted corolla. What mods were required to make inner light work? surely its not as simple as putting the bulbs?

AscentSport

I too have a facelifted corolla. What mods were required to make inner light work? surely its not as simple as putting the bulbs?

it's not that simple but it can be easily done if you put some effort...

1.prepare a pair of bulbs which are same as the bulbs for indicators and reverse lights

2.you'll find out bulbs cannot be put on directly into the taillights coz there are no holes for them, so you have to drill a hole on both taillights

3. remove the wiring panel and you'll find a socket like this

taillightwireoz4.jpg

as u can see there is a hole in the red circle,that's for the inner lights! so what you have to do are:

4. check which wire in the socket supplies the power for the brake bulbs by a multimeter (as i was too excited after done the work so i forgot to take a photo, but juz tell me and i can have a look 4 ya on my car if you cannot find out which)

hints: you'll find out it's not possible to press the brake and check at the same time, so what to do is put something like an umbrella which can replace your leg at this moment:)

5. connect like the blue curved line with an unused wire, make sure it can contact with the silver thing on the socket which links the taillights so electricity can pass thru

6.u're done if you connected the wires properly

Edited by AscentSport

the ones i had which went to trd141 then to e-gene and the other set which waiwong38 took before he changed to led were completely plug n play. there was no modifications at all needed to get the inner light to work. you just got to order the right set for your car, if anyone is looking to order they can contact me to find out. i use the current iso database which helps to see differences.