Steps to racing on track?

Hey guys,

I attempted to do some research on what I have to do to go to qld raceway and give her a thrashing,

But my brain gave up after five minutes, can anyone who has had past experience give me a step by step process on what to do before tracking?

Cheers,

Branno

For QR:

1) Have a look at the following link (clicky) and choose a date under 'Saturday Afternoon Sprints' or 'Wednesday Afternoon Sprints' that you would like to attend.

2) Click on the date you would like to go on (well anywhere on that line will do) and this will bring up the entry form. All Saturday and Wednesday sprints for this year are over, so keep an eye out for when next years dates and links get posted.

3) Fill out the form as detailed in it.

4) If you haven't already done so, go to the following page and print of an AASA License Application Form. Link. If you can picture yourself going to the track more than two times in the year, get yourself an annual license to save some money.

5) Preferably fax through your Entry form and license application earlier than the Thursday before the event to save money on the entry fee. Also, if you manage to get your form in nice and early, you may even get yourself a spot under-cover.

6) Do all the checks on your car before you head out to make sure it is nice and ready for the track.

lol yeah i just raced on the last sprint day of the year b4 they resurface QR again :) so next year cant wait fresh tarmac YEEE HAAARRR!!!!! yeah its about $204 to get started gives u a licence for a year and the day pass so yeah prepare to milk your money on the first time there kk but after should be around 100 only so all good. whats done to your zre?

Decent set of tyres a must. You dont want to lose control around a tight hairpin corner. Not sure what mods you've done to your ZRE but it would help if it was lowered and had decent tyres. More stability and handling prowess. Front strut brace also is just absolutely magic.

Engine oil, check beforehand esp if your going to be travelling a fair distance to the track. Plus check all other fluids that may need attention, being 09 zre if you've kept up with your servicing then you should be okay.

As with what daryl said, CAMS or ASAA race licence. A helmet that is also CAMs approved. Mine was 25bux on EBAY ftw! I got half face one, i think full face will hinder me a bit. First time on track with helmet is quite daunting and can get quite hot and uncomfortable, but as the day progresses you get used to it.

Brake pads! Your brakes will get a good workout on track, brakes and tyres for sure. Also check your tyre pressure. Lower tyre pressure will give you more grip. I had mine on 40 to start with then dropped to 37psi all round on my RE001's 215/45/17 tyres

Empty all unecessary things from your car beforehand or put into a personal box. Your car has to track fully empty and stripped, spare wheel/jack/tools and all. No loose objects in the car/cabin/boot. Do this on the day, not beforehand. lol

Drinks, food/snacks, money.

Thats about it i think. Just take it easy the first few laps/sessions, get a feel for the track, learn your racing lines and braking markers. By the end of the day, you'll definitely be improving on your time.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Your car has to track fully empty and stripped, spare wheel/jack/tools and all. No loose objects in the car/cabin/boot. Do this on the day, not beforehand. lol

At QR, my Aurion was in complete factory trim. The boot was left completely intact with the exception that I removed my sub before going there. Just something to note because depending on the driver, you may not want to remove your spare and aftect the balance which you are accustomed to.

Your car has to track fully empty and stripped, spare wheel/jack/tools and all. No loose objects in the car/cabin/boot. Do this on the day, not beforehand. lol

At QR, my Aurion was in complete factory trim. The boot was left completely intact with the exception that I removed my sub before going there. Just something to note because depending on the driver, you may not want to remove your spare and aftect the balance which you are accustomed to.

Hrmmm.. Good point daryl. Never thought of it like that. Without the spare + tools my rear sits higher = less stability in my rears while cornering which = gayness.

But for the Winton Raceway track here in Victoria we have to remove the spare wheel, its mandatory. For insurance or safety or what i dont know exactly. But at scrutineering when they check out the cars for the 'OK' sticker, they check everything, engine, tyres, boot and inside cabin and make sure its all cleared out. Maybe different tracks have different rules i guess. Oh well. Just giving branno my thoughts and experience anyway.

B)

Follow d(-_-)b's advice since it is applicable to QR. I know because I used to go there a lot.

Check in usually occurs around 11-12, once that has occured you stand around looking stupid for a while, don't let it get to you. Just wait till they call the briefing or tell you you can enter the pits.

As for tyres you don't need anything fancy. The less grip you have just means you have to slow down more. Since you are new just use your road tyres, don't spend any extra money. You firstly need to, learnt he track, and your skill level before worrying about learning how to drive semi slicks correctly. Run 40PSI cold on road tyres. Then adjust to keep at 40PSI hot. This helps prevent the tyre from peeling off of the rim.

I would recommend soem decent front brake pads. QFM make cheap pads, contact a seller by the name of GSL Rally Sport and get the 700C pads. Stock pads on the Sportivo are ok, but will glaze in about 4 laps. Don't worry about the rears.