K&N Performance Intake Kit

mkay

I'm still waiting for my ZR6 to turn up, it should be here in about 2 weeks. I have a nice set of 20" wheels sitting in my lounge room ready to go on it. To get my fix I've been surfing the net trying to find out as much as I can about the Aurion and about modifications performed by other owners. I have read various discussion on this board in relation to pod style filters for the Aurion and decided to do a bit of research. I managed to find a K&N kit that suits the American Generation 6 Camry (same engine as the Aurion) and they claim an extra 11.74 HP.

Here is the link:

http://store.knfilters.com/search/product....?Prod=69-8611TS

And a link with the installation instructions with photos:

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/69-8611.pdf

I assume it would fit straight onto the Aurion. I know many people were divided as to whether or not it would be worth installing one of these kits but thought some of you may appreciate this info. I'm not sure if I would install one onto my vehicle yet or if installing a kit like this would void any warranties.

Edited by mkay

yeah im a bit skeptical on this, I know that the aurion intake is pretty free flowing, so its an I dunno for me. You can be the first to try and see if it makes any different tho....?

Also nice one getting 20's do they fit straight in or do you need to make mods to the guards etc?

Also which rims did you get ? photos?

Im looking to get bbs style ones put on when the car comes in next week....

Cheers,

yeah im a bit skeptical on this, I know that the aurion intake is pretty free flowing, so its an I dunno for me. You can be the first to try and see if it makes any different tho....?

Also nice one getting 20's do they fit straight in or do you need to make mods to the guards etc?

Also which rims did you get ? photos?

Im looking to get bbs style ones put on when the car comes in next week....

Cheers,

I was guaranteed the 20"s would go straight on, they are fitted with 245/35ZR20 95Y's. I calculated they are 0.5 of an inch larger in diameter than the standard 17's which should throw the speedo out by about 2km/hr at 100km/hr. but from what I've read the Aurion Speedo sits on 100km/hr when the true speed is 95 so it should bring me up to 97.

I ended up buying a set of Verde Kaos Chrome. I'll take a few photos soon and post them.

I was kind of hoping someone else would be the guinea pig for the filter set up. I don't know if I could talk the missus into letting me buy any more new bits for the car I don't even have yet. I might look at doing it in a few months down the track.

Any other volunteers out there?

I'll be looking into getting a custom exhaust made up just after X-mas, but don't want experiment with too many things straight away.

this is so weird and arggggggg....

Verde Kaos is my choice of rim too for Christmas present!!!!!!! <_<

btw, air intake, i also just bought of one those, installing it very soon with custom air box <_<

how come we have the SAME plans <_<

well, i can see the difference is that, yours a zr6, and dont tell me it's black :o then... "BROTHER" car :o

Edited by dannywss

this is so weird and arggggggg....

Verde Kaos is my choice of rim too for Christmas present!!!!!!! <_<

btw, air intake, i also just bought of one those, installing it very soon with custom air box <_<

how come we have the SAME plans <_<

well, i can see the difference is that, yours a zr6, and dont tell me it's black :o then... "BROTHER" car :o

Great minds think alike. And yes, my car is black.

Here's the photo's of the wheels.

post-5511-1192873160_thumb.jpg post-5511-1192873214_thumb.jpg

I've already purchased a Car-Bra too which can be seen in the background. I'm moving from the NT to Perth just before X-mas and didn't want my new car covered in stone chips. It'll come off as soon as I get to Perth.

omg, "brother" car!! thou we dont really know each other yet ><"

dont u just lovee that rim huh?? now u make me headache, should i change my mind into other rims or stay with this :blink: u u u !!!

even see tat yr rim is 245 35 R20, totally same spec i m getting too...

mind telling which country r u from?

answering yr question, i think the air intake wont hv cops problems, lotsa ppl change air intakes.

btw, how heavy does the rim weigh each, mind telling me?

Edited by dannywss

omg, "brother" car!! thou we dont really know each other yet ><"

dont u just lovee that rim huh?? now u make me headache, should i change my mind into other rims or stay with this :blink: u u u !!!

even see tat yr rim is 245 35 R20, totally same spec i m getting too...

mind telling which country r u from?

answering yr question, i think the air intake wont hv cops problems, lotsa ppl change air intakes.

btw, how heavy does the rim weigh each, mind telling me?

I'm 100% Aussie born and bred.

The wheels weigh 27.2 kg each with tyres fitted. Anyone know how much the standard wheels weigh? obviosly they would be a bit lighter.

27kg each?? thats HEAVY... need to rethink bout this issue then...

Bigger wheels are always going to weigh more, aluminuim alloy is going to weigh more than rubber so the bigger the rim the higher the overall weight. I'm sure it wont have a huge effect on acceleration or economy being fitted to a car such as the Aurion. It's only a small sacrifice to pay for a wheel that looks nice in my opinion. If you want something such as a light weight race wheel you will have to stick with 17"s.

Once again does anybody know the weight of an Aurion 17" wheel with tyre fitted?

Those rims are sweet :) how much did you get those for? and whats the width of the rim? 8? 8.5?

Yeah 27kg is pretty heavy but hey you don't buy a Aurion for Sports performance anyways... you make it pimp :P,

As for air intakes, yes it can be a problem if they are oil based filters, and Im pretty sure KN's are definately. Cops usually pull u over for the inspection if your car's looks call for it. e.g. dumped too low, too many stickers / lights etc.

Im thinking speedy cheetah at the moment in 20's bbs styles. hopefully it would have a nice dish. so might be looking at 9s if possible... (attached is a pshop example....)

post-5689-1192970065_thumb.jpg

Edited by AcoustiK

Those rims are sweet :) how much did you get those for? and whats the width of the rim? 8? 8.5?

Yeah 27kg is pretty heavy but hey you don't buy a Aurion for Sports performance anyways... you make it pimp :P,

As for air intakes, yes it can be a problem if they are oil based filters, and Im pretty sure KN's are definately. Cops usually pull u over for the inspection if your car's looks call for it. e.g. dumped too low, too many stickers / lights etc.

Im thinking speedy cheetah at the moment in 20's bbs styles. hopefully it would have a nice dish. so might be looking at 9s if possible... (attached is a pshop example....)

I paid $3100 for the package with them delivered to my door. The rim width is 8.5"

The wheels you're looking at would definitely suit too. I think anything mutli-spoke (more than 8) would look good.

Photoshop is great way to experiment. Here's what I came up with.

post-5511-1192971061_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your wheel hunting.

for the photoshop verde, yea, if u can make sure the lowered suspension is at that right spot. I remember when i was lowering my camry, i went for "low", not low enouf, "superlow" was too low...

$3100? Who did u get it from? coz can get those cheaper.

for the photoshop verde, yea, if u can make sure the lowered suspension is at that right spot. I remember when i was lowering my camry, i went for "low", not low enouf, "superlow" was too low...

I could have got them cheaper If I went with a cheeper tyre. I got Kohmo KU31, they are supposed to be a good value for money performance tyre. I got them from http://www.jackbakertyres.com.au/ The person I spoke to there was also very helpful and sent me a few photos of Aurions with 20" wheels fitted. I did'nt mind paying a little extra for good quality service. I ordered the wheels from the store in Adelaide on a Saturday, they where drilled to suit on the monday and turned up on my doorstep in the N.T on Thursday the same week. They were packaged very well too, not a mark on them.

I could have got them cheaper If I went with a cheeper tyre. I got Kohmo KU31, they are supposed to be a good value for money performance tyre. I got them from http://www.jackbakertyres.com.au/ The person I spoke to there was also very helpful and sent me a few photos of Aurions with 20" wheels fitted. I did'nt mind paying a little extra for good quality service. I ordered the wheels from the store in Adelaide on a Saturday, they where drilled to suit on the monday and turned up on my doorstep in the N.T on Thursday the same week. They were packaged very well too, not a mark on them.

Danny where you based, can you get any rim/tyre package cheap?

Mkay: If you can, can you post up the pics of the aurion's with 20's, just would love to see a range of different types on the car...

Mkay: If you can, can you post up the pics of the aurion's with 20's, just would love to see a range of different types on the car...

I only kept the photos of the black Aurion as these are the pics I used for photoshopping. The other photos I had where of a Presara with G-Max wheels but I deleted them.

I posted the photos of the black Aurion on the forum earlier.

Here's the link:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=12322

I only kept the photos of the black Aurion as these are the pics I used for photoshopping. The other photos I had where of a Presara with G-Max wheels but I deleted them.

I posted the photos of the black Aurion on the forum earlier.

Here's the link:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=12322

Ah yep, seen that one, Did the guy say it was lowered as well assumingly so.. and if said by how many mm's?

Well im thinking of ordering one..

Mkay seeing that you live close by we might be able to order at the same time and go halfs in shipping what do you think?

Im sure this will void some warrenty. But if you dont mind taking it off for your service sure toyota wont know ;)

EDIT: one problem i did find on there website "The K&N store only ships to addresses in the United States."

Edited by Soloman

Well im thinking of ordering one..

Mkay seeing that you live close by we might be able to order at the same time and go halfs in shipping what do you think?

Im sure this will void some warrenty. But if you dont mind taking it off for your service sure toyota wont know ;)

EDIT: one problem i did find on there website "The K&N store only ships to addresses in the United States."

I'm currently chasing some quotes through a few Autralian & US dealers. With the Aussie dollar as strong as it is at the moment they shouldn't be much more than $400.00 delivered.

I let you know what I find out.

Just found a thread on the US Toyota forum relating to this filter kit.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202453

It's definitely worth a read. Some of those Americans just don't hold back, it's quite funny, plenty of mixed opinions out there. Still no independent dyno results available, I've known a few friends that have fitted K&N filter in the past and they swear by them. I do have one fitted to my commodore (1983 5.0L VH SLE), I couldn't really say if it made any difference in power but the look and sound is pretty cool.

It's a bit off topic but here's a couple of photos of my old commodore, she's been off the road for a couple of years know but I'll have get her going again after I get to Perth. I've had it since I was 18 and have a lot of great memories driving it.

post-5511-1193047844_thumb.jpgpost-5511-1193047878_thumb.jpg

post-5511-1193047908_thumb.jpg

I'm still keen on getting the filter kit once I get a few quotes, & again, if I can convince the missus :lol:

I'll post the quotes if people are still interested.

considering seriously to get my rims now, dont care bout the fuking coilovers. has anyone actually bought springs (eg: king spring low or super low) for their aurion? how worse does it feel actually?

will get these done seriously before early nov, skip the coilovers' search

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of companies but this is what I have got so far.

Email trail From Sol Jennings Australia:

Hi Mark,

Our supplier tells us these are a special import item only with price on arrival.

Regards,

Sol Jennings

sales@sorijen.com.au

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, 22 October 2007 5:43 PM

Hi Mark,

We don't usually stock these but I will get a price on one for you and let you know asap.

Regards,

Sol Jennings

sales@sorijen.com.au

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, 22 October 2007 3:27 PM

To: enquiries@sorijen.com.au

Hi,

I have a 2007 Toyota Aurion and would like to purchase a K&N performance intake kit. I have done some research on the net and Kit Part No. 69-8611TS for the U.S Toyota Camry will fit my vehicle. Can I get this item in through you and if so could I please get a quote for the item, I may need it shipped to me in the Northern Territory.

Here is the link to the item on the K&N website.

And the reply from one of the U.S companies. www.jegs.com

Mark,

Thank you for your inquiry. We only ship Fed Ex air over seas. Delivery takes about 4 business days after the package leaves our warehouse. You will be responsible for the import tax your country may charge at time of delivery. This is usually 25 percent. This item is a special order and will take 2 to 3 weeks to order in. Here is the total to ship to you.

1 599 69-8611TS TYPHOON 2007 TOYO V6-3.5L 262.99

1 999 H1199 PACKAGE AND HANDLING 11.99

1 999 FED EX FREIGHT CHARGE 179.06

Order Total: 454.04

Thank you,

Fred

So I'm guessing around $500.00 AUS all up.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a few more companies, I'll let you know what I find out.