Rear Parking Sensor Install Manual

acorn

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has a copy of the rear parking sensor install manual that they can share.

I'm just about to install some aftermarket rear sensors and wouldn't mind knowing how Toyota likes to do it from the factory/dealer. I've found the front sensor install in a previous thread but no luck with the rears.

Thanks in advance!

Also, anyone that does have the rear parking sensors would you mind measuring the distance between the sensors and also the height - either from the ground up or a relevant location on the bumper.

Thanks again! :D

Also, anyone that does have the rear parking sensors would you mind measuring the distance between the sensors and also the height - either from the ground up or a relevant location on the bumper.

Thanks again! :D

If nobody replies before tonight, I'll measure mine and post up the info for you...

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has a copy of the rear parking sensor install manual that they can share.

I'm just about to install some aftermarket rear sensors and wouldn't mind knowing how Toyota likes to do it from the factory/dealer. I've found the front sensor install in a previous thread but no luck with the rears.

Thanks in advance!

I'll have a look tonight when the wife gets home in it. If the manual is with the books I'll let you know.

OK, I just measured the rear sensors on our KX-R and these are the figures.

Measuring from centre of bumper outwards (and to "centre" of each sensor):

Far Left - 635mm from ground, 745mm from centre of bumper

Mid-Left - 640mm from ground, 245mm from centre of bumper

Mid right - same as mid-left, but in opposite direction

Far Right - same as far-right, but in opposite direction

Note: fuel tank is about half way between 1/2 & 3/4 mark on petrol gauge, which may make a slight difference to bumper/sensor heights if you have a different petrol level in your tank.

Also, I measured the front two sensors as well and they are both located directly in front of (and centered with), where the fog lights would be/are - if you are looking directly at the car from "front-on".....and are both 615mm from ground (to centre of sensor).

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Dave

acorn, all I've got is the Owner's Manual which says nothing about how to install them other than "It is recommended that this product is installed by your Toyota Dealer".

Sorry.

Thanks for looking BigBad64. Does it mention or depict the location of the speaker at all?

Cheers!

Does it mention or depict the location of the speaker at all?

Cheers!

I installed some sensors off a Mazda 6 on mine. I mounted the speaker under the glovebox on the underside of the plastic panel down there, right next to the kick panel. I used velcro to mount it. Mine has a little volume switch which allows you to choose two volume settings or turn it off. It's easy to access down there and invisible.

Good luck with the install. It was pretty straight forward, just a little time consuming because I don't have a lot of experience working on cars.

Thanks SpeedRacer, the set I have is for a Mazda 6 too! Picked it up from ebay.

I like your idea about the speaker location, although a little unsure about removing too much of the interior. Was this a problem or were you able to squeeze the wire between the interior trim and the carpet.

Any tips for the connection to the reverse lights? Did you choose a particular side? Also, do you remember the wire colours you connected up to? I'm sure once I pull it all apart it will make sense.

Thanks Dave, appreciate you taking a look.

Thanks for looking BigBad64. Does it mention or depict the location of the speaker at all?

Cheers!

Page attached, hope it's big enough to see properly. Speaker in the picture seems to be back left somewhere. I haven't listened closely in the Kluger to hear where it actually is.

post-15729-1260577274_thumb.jpg

OK, I just measured the rear sensors on our KX-R and these are the figures.

Measuring from centre of bumper outwards (and to "centre" of each sensor):

Far Left - 635mm from ground, 745mm from centre of bumper

Mid-Left - 640mm from ground, 245mm from centre of bumper

Mid right - same as mid-left, but in opposite direction

Far Right - same as far-right, but in opposite direction

Note: fuel tank is about half way between 1/2 & 3/4 mark on petrol gauge, which may make a slight difference to bumper/sensor heights if you have a different petrol level in your tank.

Also, I measured the front two sensors as well and they are both located directly in front of (and centered with), where the fog lights would be/are - if you are looking directly at the car from "front-on".....and are both 615mm from ground (to centre of sensor).

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Do you mind measuring the distance from the fold line on the bumper (just below the sensor) up to the sensor for me.

Measuring from the ground up has too great a tolerance for me. I've tired different surfaces, fuel levels etc and I just can't get an even reading on both sides - seems to be a difference of about 8 - 10mm from left to right. Actually looking at the vehicle from the rear it seems to sit higher on the left than the right - the same as the measurements show.

Thanks!

Hi Dave,

Do you mind measuring the distance from the fold line on the bumper (just below the sensor) up to the sensor for me.

Measuring from the ground up has too great a tolerance for me. I've tired different surfaces, fuel levels etc and I just can't get an even reading on both sides - seems to be a difference of about 8 - 10mm from left to right. Actually looking at the vehicle from the rear it seems to sit higher on the left than the right - the same as the measurements show.

Thanks!

No probs.

Measuring from the fold in the bumper up to the centre of the sensor, the measurements on my car are:

Far Left: 45mm

Mid-Left: 90mm

Mid-Right: 90mm

Far Right: 45mm

Front sensors, again from the fold in the bumper (which touches the very top of the fog-light surround), up to the centre of the sensor is 25mm.

Also, I had a look in the manual to the front sonsors and it looks like the control box and the beeper seem to be situated somewhere around the centre of the dashboard. The picture in the manual isn't specific...it just shows an overhead diagram with the control box and beeper situated where the front of the dash would likely be (somewhere near the gear shift or just forwards)....though it would make sense to put it where SpeedRacer indicated (on the side of the kick-panel, under/near the glovebox).

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks SpeedRacer, the set I have is for a Mazda 6 too! Picked it up from ebay.

I like your idea about the speaker location, although a little unsure about removing too much of the interior. Was this a problem or were you able to squeeze the wire between the interior trim and the carpet.

Any tips for the connection to the reverse lights? Did you choose a particular side? Also, do you remember the wire colours you connected up to? I'm sure once I pull it all apart it will make sense.

Thanks Dave, appreciate you taking a look.

Most of the way I squeezed the wire between the trim and the carpet. I think I removed a plastic part to get the wire from the rear seat area to the back. I can't really remember but it will make sense as you go.

I used the passenger side. You need to remove the interior trim from that side to run the wires through the grommet to get to the sensors. There's a bracket in there I used to screw the control module so it was nice and secure. To find the reverse light wire, I turned the ignition on and put the car in reverse and used a test lamp to spike the wires and find which one came on. Then I soldered the wire to that. Can't remember the colour sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

*Quick update*

Finally got around to installing my rear sensors. Big thanks to everyone for their help, especially Dave for his measurements - although I did modify the centre sensor dimensions from 90mm to 70mm (or approx 50mm if you measure from the top of the flat section of the bumper down). Visually 90mm looked too high for me.

Overall I'm very happy with the install and the sensors work a treat. Install did take some time, but that was mainly due to unknowns on how to remove trim panels, determining wiring etc.

For anyone interested I installed the control unit to the passenger rear side, below the plastic cubby box on that side. There's a rubber grommet perfect for bringing the wires in and an earth point right in this location. I tapped into the reverse +ve wire (from memory this is a blue wire) behind the access panel on the left, keeping close to the main wiring loom so as not to get in the way if/when I need to change the reverse bulb. I then ran the speaker wire behind the passenger side rear trim panel and placed this behind, just above the 3rd row seat cup holder. If you take a look there is a small access panel in this location. My speaker has two volume settings, low and high and an off setting, so being able to access it here is perfect. Speaker is currently set to low which is more than loud enough for me.

If anyone has any specific questions just ask away - hopefully I can help.

Edited by acorn

I lay on my back and stuck my head under the back end looking at the spare tyre set-up the other day and noticed the wiring for my reverse sensors that were put in at the Toyota dealer was hanging loose at one point.

Closer inspection revealed they used 2 small self adhesive plastic tabs that have cable hooks on them to attach the wiring to the metal just to the rear of where the spare hangs. One of the tabs towards the driver's side had come off the metal.

I mentioned this at the 1st complimentary service the other day and said if it had come unstuck within a month then they obviously weren't going to last long term. I asked if there was any other way of securing the wiring and they said "probably not, it's probably the standard install kit for the Kluger".

When I got it back I looked and they had secured the wiring on the driver's side where the tab had come away higher up through small holes using cable ties. I notice they didn't do the same on the passenger side at the same time, which would have got the entire horizontal cable run right up and away form the spare tyre, but I guess they thought it wasn't warranted. Maybe all Klugers have the wires running there and its fine.

I never would have noticed without crawling under and it was not really a big deal, just something to let people know.