headlight levelling actuator in the facelift zze!?

Hi guys i just opened up an aftermarket copy of oem headlight for the facelift zze and noticed this:

wivcyh.jpg

14jujhl.jpg

2qmn4t4.jpg

315onxz.jpg

i might have seen the same thing in the genuine toyota lights in my first retrofit but never looked into it.

do you think its a headlight leveller?

Edited by chicken

oh btw it says actuator on it. tracing the three wires, 2 of them just join to the two parker light wires (to power them?) so maybe the green wire is the switch.

EDIT: found the electrical diagram. should be easy to install with the headlight beam level control switch.

diag_1CqIVKt.png

Edited by chicken

On most JDM cars with factory HIDs, they either came with auto leveling, or a manual leveling knob (Also, some with washers, some without.). Even some JDM cars (Usually the mid range model.) and Euro-market Toyotas (Not sure if it's all of them or only some models though.) with Halogen lights came with the manual leveling knob.

Here's a photo of the switch in a pirated first-gen. Toyota bB (Great Wall Coolbear.). The basic shape of the switch is the same as the one in the second gen. RAV4, ZZE Corolla and most pre- 2000 Toyotas.

u_2996357268856.jpg

EDIT: Me a noob, forgot to add pic to post.

Edited by ToyotaFreak

you da man alister! :D

I can confirm that the actuators are also in factory headlights. Hopefully its prewired for a control switch as I see some unused plugs behind the mirror control panel

• 4 weeks later...

with help from TOCUK, i wired the actuators to a headlight beam control switch (GBP 5) following the electrical diagram:

Beamadjsch.png

my corolla was not prewired so i bought the 5 pin connector housing ($11) from toyota and made the harness.

vknli.jpg

30n9jbp.jpg

not very exciting to watch but here is the result

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

overall, didn't cost much at all (5 pounds + $11) and quite satisfying to unlock a hidden feature in the corolla. is it worth doing? probably not lol :D

sorry for no diy yet, just waiting for some crimp terminals to arrive to complete it.

i got the switch from ebay UK. its from a toyota avensis. toyota part number is 84512 12060 http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_2005_TOYO...PNK_8401.6.html

the 5pin connector housing is 90980-10789. i modified female econoseal crimp terminals to fit in the connector.

basically have one wire for each headlight and connect to this empty pin slot: (this connects to the green coloured wire inside the headlight)

post-8229-1265022258_thumb.jpg

connect those wires to pin 2 of the levelling switch

tap parker/taillight wire from headlight dimmer sw (pin 10) to pin 1 of levelling switch.

pin 3 is for switch illumination so connect to pin 1 for power

ground pin 4 and 5 to chassis

vknli.jpg

Edited by chicken

hey prozak this is in a jap 1zz and the sportivo lights look different but hopefully they have the same parts

its got a green wire on the plug from what i can see

cool you should be fine then. keep us updated :)

19371_104388329585515_100000430449890_113533_5039475_n.jpg

hmm that plug looks quite different to mine. that green wire is on the engine side? its probably to the parker light wire.

is there a green wire "inside" the headlight housing? near the low beam reflector?

Edited by chicken

hmm that plug looks quite different to mine. that green wire is on the engine side? its probably to the parker light wire.

is there a green wire "inside" the headlight housing? near the low beam reflector?

green is engine side, headlight side is just yellow white black red as u can see from pic

havnt pulled headlight apart, not going to !

green is engine side, headlight side is just yellow white black red as u can see from pic

havnt pulled headlight apart, not going to !

whats that red wire in the distance?

That connector doesn't look like it can accomodate another wire for levelling unless there are other wires elsewhere.

Edited by chicken