Throttle body coolant bypass

post-61-1111076164_thumb.jpgWell I just thought I may aswell share this with you guys. I bypassed the coolant from the throttle body a few days ago. So last night my friend and I took it to some twisty ride and drove the car at its best. No, I cannot keep up with the DC2R, but I did pushed my car real hard real good.

Well, the weather was very cold, and in that sense the engine revs pretty good and constantly remainded strong. So after a long ride, we stop and let the car cools down a little. I open the bonnet and was curious to see how the throttle body is doing. It remainded cold :)

I have not tried touching the throttle body with the coolant line stuck on it, but I think its gotta be hot because I touched the coolant hose and its damn hot. So is the bypassed coolant line, its damn hot. So the throttle body gotta be hot if the coolant is still in there (considering that the coolant is there to de-frost it anyway)

Well, its up to you guys to try this, it practically is a cheap mod to bring back your potential lost kw. Many of my friend ask will this mod actually gained any kw, but I just do it for constant power delivery, not losing it due to the heated up throttle body. Last night the engine perform really well, I do not recall it was like that even if it was a cold day, but perhaps its only psycholigically. Then again, the throttle body is cold and I take that as a good thing :)

Peekay and I did this as one of our first mods to the Stivo early last year. It does make a difference especially in the warmer weather as the car does not seem to suffer from the heat soak it used to. On a warm day before the mod my throttle body got very warm to hot to the touch but after this mod it was only ever slightly warm to the touch.

It's a good cheap mod you can do yourself.

Been told this is a good, simple little mod to do. 

Nice to hear you've got good results Danz. 

In fact you must have the nicest Rolla's around  ;)

Thanks dude ;) Well, been 4 days with this throttle body coolant bypass and so far so good. The only thing left to do is for me to get stuck in traffic. That's when the car gets hot and no air really coming in to cool it since the car stays stationary. I hate that situations because the car does get sluggish (HOT HOT HOT). Well, the throttle body coolant bypass scored well on both cruising and racing, under both cold and hot days. Let's see if it can do the same under traffic because that's when I truly felt the car will get sluggish.

Peekay and I did this as one of our first mods to the Stivo early last year. It does make a difference especially in the warmer weather as the car does not seem to suffer from the heat soak it used to. On a warm day before the mod my throttle body got very warm to hot to the touch but after this mod it was only ever slightly warm to the touch.

This is interesting.

It would be great if someone could explain;

1) The theory behind what it achieves?

2) How one actually does it?

3) Is there any reason not to do it?

Cheers

GF

danz.

you can actually do it a little neater if you use the main hose coming into the TB to go straight back into the head, then simply double over the out line from the TB back onto the inlet spout. This will stop junk getting into the spouts and cloging it up.

I have done this to a few ppls cars up here and they have noticed a difference. this in conjunction with the hondata heatshield works VERY WELL.....espicially in the HOT QLD climate

This is interesting.

Cheers

GF

1) The reason the coolant is looping around the throttle body is to de-frost the throttle body, incase it gets frosted under extreme cold conditions. So the idea is, bypass the coolant so your throttle body remain cool, or at least, not heated up. Think of it like an electric heater. You switch on the fan, u'll get cool air. Switch to heater mode, the bar plate behind it will get hot and the air passes by the bar will get warm. The same thing with the throttle body, if the TB is hot then the air passes by it will get warm.

2) All you need to do is go to www.2003corolla.org and go to the DIY section, look for the THrottle body coolant bypass. They have pictures and instructions to make sure you won't miss a beat ;)

3) There is a reason of not to do it but I am not sure if that's going to affect us here in Australia. Again, under extreme cold conditions, your throttle body may get frosted and that's a big problem. Removing the coolant line from your thottle body meant your throttle body won't have anything to heat it up. But then again, we don't live in antartica. Even US owners have no such problems with their car and they got snow.

danz.

you can actually do it a little neater if you use the main hose coming into the TB to go straight back into the head, then simply double over the out line from the TB back onto the inlet spout. This will stop junk getting into the spouts and cloging it up.

I have done this to a few ppls cars up here and they have noticed a difference. this in conjunction with the hondata heatshield works VERY WELL.....espicially in the HOT QLD climate

Yeah you can just use 1 rubber coolant line to replace the two coolant line. But I like it with that brass barb, hehe looks cool. I sealed the TB nipple with a single coolant line, one end for each ;) U know, maybe we can inject that Cryo2 things in that throttle body nipple hahaha.

This is interesting.

Cheers

GF

1) The reason the coolant is looping around the throttle body is to de-frost the throttle body, incase it gets frosted under extreme cold conditions. So the idea is, bypass the coolant so your throttle body remain cool, or at least, not heated up. Think of it like an electric heater. You switch on the fan, u'll get cool air. Switch to heater mode, the bar plate behind it will get hot and the air passes by the bar will get warm. The same thing with the throttle body, if the TB is hot then the air passes by it will get warm.

2) All you need to do is go to www.2003corolla.org and go to the DIY section, look for the THrottle body coolant bypass. They have pictures and instructions to make sure you won't miss a beat ;)

3) There is a reason of not to do it but I am not sure if that's going to affect us here in Australia. Again, under extreme cold conditions, your throttle body may get frosted and that's a big problem. Removing the coolant line from your thottle body meant your throttle body won't have anything to heat it up. But then again, we don't live in antartica. Even US owners have no such problems with their car and they got snow.

Now that's a good reply.

Thanks.

Was just talking to Peekay about this "mod" yesterday at the meetup and I would like to give it a shot, question is, what do I need to get from Autobahn to do it? Is getting a longer hose a better way of doing it?

I just bought Brass coupler. single hose or not, doesn't really matter :) What matter is, the coolant still gotta be able to flow and no leakage. Teflon tape will do the trick to ensure extra tightness by wrapping it onto the coupler