Manxman

I,d go as far as say (A)-- Sleeper Cab

(B)-- Cage for the pig dogs

©--- One huge tool box to carry spares around in

Looks ahhhhhhhhhhhh different. :whistling:

Edited by CONROD

• 2 months later...

Disaster of sorts:

Unplaned heavy financial committments elsewhere have set back my earliest re-licensing to Jan 2017. If I sell up I prob won't be able to ever replace it, and I doubt anyone will pay what it's worth, even if it was going. I'm unwilling to take the loss of blood, sweat and tears I've put into it for a pittance. I'll pay out as I must, and wait until I've cleared my debts before putting any more cash into it. It's a long wait, and I hope it survives without further harm.

Checking reveals cam was overground-have new one to fit--but can't move fan off pulley mount. Too tight-tried hot water, haven't got big sharp wedge/cold chisel, didn't grind on leverage access points last time. Not willing to drill between pulley and fan flange for leverage point. Ideas?

Good news

-I fould a single sheave crankshaft pulley from an aircond. 2L motor I can use to repair my bent power steering pulley. Cut off the ring andjoin them together. Easy. Might be a little large, but not significantly, and If I bolt it together I can avoid the problems forever more when extracting engine. There are 4 holes in both. Just need enough clearance for the boltheads to turn and similar bolthole radii. WML!

Edited by Manxman

• 3 weeks later...

Progress: A wrecker has a PS pulley at reasonable price/ the fan pulley boss is clear all round by 2mm. When it;s off, I'll grind the corners of the but underneath which are causing the problem. I'm unable to borrow the necessary money to finish it off and licence it to start employment as an independent casual cpurier, so I've decided to appeal for crowdfunding. If you like reading about my efforts, pls help me out. I'll post the link tomorrow. I'll continue to contribute to the site when I think I have something to offer. Thanks in advance, friends.

Edited by Manxman

Without being crude, WHY !!! is anyone going to throw their hard earned money into something thats being going on now for almost 5 years, and probably not going to see the light of day in another 5!!!!! :nopity:

It seems like its never ending,fix one thing and another fails, so on, so on, so on?

Fairdinkum mate, should of up unloaded it Long, Long ago. :nono:

Like I said mate, I,m not being rude but on the other hand you need to know when enough is enough, call it quits and walk away.

Best of Luck any way mate

Edited by CONROD
  • Like 1

You have to try every possible solution. I don't have an alternative I can think of. I expect others

to be similarly minded, but not all. I know I've over capitalized on it, but it's nearly done, and

walking away now is not an economic option. This is WA, and the people won't pay a fair price for

a good viable vehicle. Mechanically, I've spent what's needed, there's still some labours, but no more parts

needed. it's the certificates, licensing and tyres I have to fund.

Fans off, front pulley undone, can't find my puller--think I took it to Albany farm with a few other tools..... Can't remember exactly, but can borrow one from mate. A few hours and I'll have that camshaft installed '& the oilways plumbed. That wi;ll leave the PS pulley and the shims, then motor is finished. Just don't rush it boy. Not now, not after all this.

• 2 months later...

Fan and radiator installed. 4 heater hose clamps req'd and new PS pulley. It feels good to be so close to finishing. Did grind chamfers on fan boss to lever it off with next time. It's a jam fit on the pump boss.

Oil lines pushed half way on. I'm too weak to get them home. They will get hot enough when it's going to be soft. Don't want to heat them now. Even a drop of oil on the barbs doesn't help. 10mm hose for oil drain. It would have been easier to do with the motor out, but that was too long ago, and I didn't have the cash for the brass fittings. I'm tired and I must rest. Tomorrow-drop & repair the tank I'll ask a mate to push the hoses home.

Your're right, hot water does make it easier. What was I thinking? All oil lines fitted, just need a few clamps. Tappet measurements 1/2 done. Needed a support post to hold the bucket down after a snail cam lever depressed the shim. Made one from a ss fork. Shims come out easy. Most too thick atm. It's started to rain, & my knees are sore, so I've stopped a while. It'll be a month or so b4 I have all the new shims & PS pulley, but never mind-I'll get there. I can fix the tank and fit the new starter motor whilst I wait.

Starter motor changed, but not tight, 7 tappets measured, + 1 with 0 clearance. 4 shims measured, need to change 3 so far, and swap one which is damaged. oil lines finished. Fuel tank needs sealing and filling up. when tappets completed, turbo air pipes can be fitted. heater hoses need 6 clamps, coolant req'd, then it's ready to be cranked over. Not a lot to do, but I can't rush it. Then there's a bit of bodywork, and electrics to sort.

Starter tightened, power lead on, it's an unbranded one, claimed Denso(?) 11T but no engraved ID. Just a part No label. the solenoid tab leans close towards the block. I can't bend it parallel to crankshaft, so the connector shield will have to be trimmed to fit in the space. Once done, the motor is ready to crank to get oil pressure. That will be something to celebrate. So near, so far away.

• 2 weeks later...

Starter fouling ring gear? Had to loosen it to turn motor w spanner. Only one shim to be replaced, all other clearances ok, so it's ready to test crank to oil pressure. All I need is to borrow/hire a battery for a week to use and recharge it twice, as I imagine that's what's needed. I'll extract the glowlugs to make it easy.

• 2 weeks later...

New cam shim bought from Precision Shims Australia at almost 1/3 OEM price. Will be fitted later today, I'll pour oil over the length of the camshaft and secure the cover. Connecting up all turbo ait plumbing being the last motor repair task 2B done prior to test cranking motor. Leaves replace battery, fixing tank & rear lights, adjust braking ballance device, and mount tub propperly to have it ready for inspection. There are some bodywork issues-but they're minor. It's been a long time, and a big job on scarce money, but it was always better than the losses of starting again with another vehicle. On current budget It won't be licensed for at least another year, or it will be sold as a going concern, but the job is almost done. Thanks to all of you whom have journied with me.