Corolla - DIY solved dashboard rattle sound

Hi all,

I had mixed feelings with my 2014 corolla ascent sport initially.

It rattled on the left dashboard area and it's so hard to pin point the exact culprit.

The service centre in Doncaster wasn't too helpful on a Saturday and they needed my car on a weekday and I had to pay for a loan car. Load of crap.

So I set out to fix it myself.

This is what I did:

Parts to remove following this sequence (note you just need to ***** and pull the trims and it will come off) :

1) Remove short/small plastic trim on the bottom right (with the auto gear in P, the trim is on its forward right side)

2) Remove radio plastic trim (this trim goes around the perimeter of the touch screen). You will also need to unlatch 2 sets of wire connectors, 1 for the seat belt light indicator, the other is the hazard light button.

3) Remove the rectangle trim directly above glove box. Careful as the top right of the rectangle trim gets a bit tangled with the clock's plastic trim - but it can be removed with a bit of force. Push the air-con vent inwards to un-clip it from the large rectangle trim.

4) Inspected all the wiring harness and they look good except for the wobbly LED connector above the glove box so I taped it down.

I was driving without these trims for a couple of days and I concluded that the dashboard is not supported well on the area below the air-con vent.

I folded some cardboard papers and with a bit of tugging force, inserted into the gap where it's just above the left corner of the glove box. This is the plastic structure of the dashboard and tend to flex a bit.

Once this is done, I re-install all the plastic trims in the reverse chronological order.

After this, I cut a piece of 1cm thick x 2.5cm wide x 5cm long black foam gasket, put some double side sticker, and placed it on the side plastic trim (left side of the glove box) where the door would compress the foam gasket onto the side plastic trim. With the passenger door opened, the foam gasket would appear to be placed in an upright position, and on the bottom left location of the plastic trim.

I'm happy to report that this really fixed the rattling sound over all road surface and over different temperatures of the week.

To be honest, without these annoying rattles, it's really is a bloody good car!

cheers.

Wilkin

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I had mixed feelings with my 2014 corolla ascent sport initially.

It rattled on the left dashboard area and it's so hard to pin point the exact culprit.

The service centre in Doncaster wasn't too helpful on a Saturday and they needed my car on a weekday and I had to pay for a loan car. Load of crap.

So I set out to fix it myself.

This is what I did:

Parts to remove following this sequence (note you just need to ***** and pull the trims and it will come off) :

1) Remove short/small plastic trim on the bottom right (with the auto gear in P, the trim is on its forward right side)

2) Remove radio plastic trim (this trim goes around the perimeter of the touch screen). You will also need to unlatch 2 sets of wire connectors, 1 for the seat belt light indicator, the other is the hazard light button.

3) Remove the rectangle trim directly above glove box. Careful as the top right of the rectangle trim gets a bit tangled with the clock's plastic trim - but it can be removed with a bit of force. Push the air-con vent inwards to un-clip it from the large rectangle trim.

4) Inspected all the wiring harness and they look good except for the wobbly LED connector above the glove box so I taped it down.

I was driving without these trims for a couple of days and I concluded that the dashboard is not supported well on the area below the air-con vent.

I folded some cardboard papers and with a bit of tugging force, inserted into the gap where it's just above the left corner of the glove box. This is the plastic structure of the dashboard and tend to flex a bit.

Once this is done, I re-install all the plastic trims in the reverse chronological order.

After this, I cut a piece of 1cm thick x 2.5cm wide x 5cm long black foam gasket, put some double side sticker, and placed it on the side plastic trim (left side of the glove box) where the door would compress the foam gasket onto the side plastic trim. With the passenger door opened, the foam gasket would appear to be placed in an upright position, and on the bottom left location of the plastic trim.

I'm happy to report that this really fixed the rattling sound over all road surface and over different temperatures of the week.

To be honest, without these annoying rattles, it's really is a bloody good car!

cheers.

Wilkin

Nice :p could you post some pictures?? The rattle came from the vent in the middle? the right one? Thanks