Which spark plug for '95 Camry 5SFE

antik

Hi all,

I'm really confused as to which spark plugs to get for my
Camry. Toyota and NGK recommend 'BKR6EP-11' which from my understanding
is a platinum tipped NGK plug.

Would I be able to run the equivalent NGK Iridium plug (BKR6EIX-11)? I don't mind paying extra for a longer lasting plug..

NGK Australia website shows both a BKR6EYA-11 (which is a copper plug) and a BKR6EIX-11 (which is the Iridium) plug as being suitable for a '95 SXV10. It also lists BKR6EP-11 as being the relevant platinum plug replacement for both the copper and iridium plugs.

Is there any advantage running an NGK Iridium plug over an NGK copper other than the Iridium lasting longer?

According to NGK, Iridium's will spark better although some say copper plugs spark better..?

I love how you bother to get that link when it would have been quicker to type an actual response. I also love how you assume cause I ask such question, that I haven't researched or done my own reading but I have, and I'm still left asking the same question.

Taken from the first hit in Google: "Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block."

^This suggests that copper plugs are the way to go..

But then, taken from NGK: "The motive behind tipping spark plug electrodes with precious metals was purely performance driven. The smaller the centre electrode, the better the spark plug performs. Reducing the centre electrode diameter of a standard nickel alloy spark plug, although easily done, would result in a very poor and unacceptable service life. Using precious metals, NGK were able to decrease the electrode size whilst actually increasing service life. In doing so the spark plug was able to achieve performance benefits previously not possible."

So believe it or not, even after you posting your very helpful link, I am still left asking the same question.

lol, dw about him. he's normal, and generally he knows what he's talking about

as regards to your question, i would answer "no" imo/afaik - as to which you have already answered yourself, depending on how often you really wanna change your plugs,

i change my plugs every after second service as per log book or every 10,000kms

Thanks jeffy, I can get Iridiums for $10/each so I'll throw them in for that extra life span.

While we're on topic, what motor oil would be best for me? She's about to hit 200k odo. I was thinking 5w-30 fully synthetic..

I guess I'll get the 20W-50 because it's for high kilometer engines? Would there be much difference between semi synthetic and fully synthetic?