TRD truck idling sound

TrentTRD320

Hey guys, I know this thread has probably been discussed hundreds of times before but could someone clearly explain to me the reason why these engines in the TRD Aurion's sound like mini trucks when idling? I've heard diesels that are quieter... All of the ones I've come across have the same unique sound. Pulleys? Design of the rotors in the Supercharger? Serpentine belt length??? 

Help...

Superchargers do add to the noise. Centrifugal superchargers are even louder again than the roots type fitted to the TRD. They are notorious for a chattering type sound.

It is more than likely the backlash between the gears on each lobe that you are hearing.

If it is very loud, it may be a coupler issue.

• Like 1

Trent beat me to it, pretty certain it's the coupler. The noise on mine gradually started/built up over time, I keep on meaning to replace it, but I want to make sure I do like for like, as I understand some Eaton SCs use a torsion coupler (Has a spring to absorb bursts of energy), though most do use the old solid coupler (can be prone to breaking).
I should see if my new inspection camera will cut the mustard and let me work out what type of coupler it is, otherwise I really should bite the bullet and take the snout off and check. I didn't buy six bottles of SC oil for no reason a couple of years back afterall!

Whist we're on the subject of Superchargers, I've recently started doing my own servicing on my car. Not to sound really stupid but does the supercharger itself need any sort of oil replaced when changing the engine oil? Or do I just do oil changes as per a normal 2GR-FE?

The supercharger has its own oil reservoir internally built into it, so it will need to be serviced seperately. Its service intervals will be less than the engine, but I am not sure on the exact timeframes required.

If it were my car, I would personally look to change it every 50,000KM, but you could possibly let it go longer depending on your driving style.

Very interesting trentmeyer23... I bought Miss320 with 101,000kms on her and I've done about 20,000kms in the past 12 months. Is there a specific type of oil that's needed for the supercharger reservoir or can I use the same type of oil that I'm using for engine? 

This is great stuff! I should've signed up for this ages ago! Very happy!!!!

Sorry too many Australia Day beers...