airbox

i was looking inside my air box and noticed a white thing that sits on the inlet into the Air flow meter

if i remove this is this "derestricting" the air box? or it will have no effect at all?

btw on a sportivo

i was looking inside my air box and noticed a white thing that sits on the inlet into the Air flow meter

if i remove this is this "derestricting" the air box? or it will have no effect at all?

btw on a sportivo

is it the air filter u talking bout?

It's an airflow straightner, It ensures the air passing past the MAF is direct and not turbulent so that the MAF is picking up the best possible readings. If you remove this the car will run like a dog.

No I mean in a bad way, going like a scalded cat is good thing :D

You may be able to get away with it, but you'll find it will end up hunting, running rough, using more fuel etc, not quite worth it if you're just running a standard airbox/filter the gain from removing it will be 0.

Removing it to do something like what Just has done is different. But then again I still can't see the benefit if it's still sitting inside the same airbox.

If you remove this the car will run like a dog.

thats a good thing, right?

superdave was having all sorts of issues with this car, was funning like a dog. Put it on the dyno and it ran low 90's, i took the airbox off and the "white thing" was no installed properly, put it back on and he ran 104kw i think. So you do need it. This part was also changed as part of the recall on the sportivos, the original one was the same as all the 1zz-fe's the new one has just a single fin running top to bottom.

i used to use the one from a sportivo in my 1zz. the 1zz is a grid but the sportivo (post recall) gets a single bar from one side to the other.

with the cone filter inside the box, i am not sure how that would benefit since cone is meant to suck 360 degrees around but by restricting it in a box you are only going to be fed the air from the small hole at the bottom of the box.

yea kinda hard to understand what you meant by "run like a dog"... coz my lil dog in my avatar can dodge traffic really well :P if you said it runs like a 3 legged dog or something to that effect i would have gotten it first time :P