Changing Soundsystem for Aurion Sx6

dannywss

Now, i m picky bout sound system, i personally dont like the sound system of aurion, especially at the back, sounds bad when u turn bit louder.

Who done sound system b4 for this car, post some information, how and wat did u used.

I am thinkin to change all 4 speakers to component speakers with a woofer at the back, BUT without changing the headunit. Anyone has any idea and wat is the best way? :help::help:

thz~

by the way, i dont know wat price you guys can get, but i bought my aurion sx6 demo 4000km, $34k. I think is a good price for a really good car^^ very happy~

go join up at mobile electronics aust forums and start learning what they have to offer.

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/

but the gist of it is. if you want sound quality and good staging, don't bother with the rear speakers, they are there purely for the comfort of ur passengers.

to retain the stock audio you can either use a line convertor (not the best SQ) and the use those as preouts for ur amps and subs. Or google the rockford fosgate 3sixty processor which is the better option.

also find a good installer who can guide you. if your're in melb i recommend audiofx down in camberwell.

once the audio bug bites you, you will be in trouble.

the stock HU will not satisfy you for long, you'll want better speakers and on and on and on.

:lol:

Geez that's a great price.

Just bought a new ZR6 and paid $22,000 changover for a 2000 Celica ZR - Silver in perfect condition with only 68,000km on the clock. Actually very sad to see it go, great car for my wife. She's devestated but as the family grows so to does the transport.

Plugger

Thanks negatron, will look into it and see what m i gonna do...

Yeah, a good price, spent like 2 hrs there talking and finally the manager says "deal"~ he even told me impossible to sell at tat price at first and said will rather use C4 to blow it up rather than selling to me. well~ sorry, u just sold to me, u nxxb~*thinkin*

okok, wasted these few days on tat mobile electronic forum, HUNTING for gears, conclusion: GOT NOTHING-_-

as negatron recon, i will go tower audio first(coz nearer) and then audiofx.

Really hope tat i can get everythin done within A WEEK!! ARGGG :spiteful:

Now, i m short of money, plan to rob any 7-11, anyone interested?? (JOKE*)

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/store/...mp;productId=12

hey, rather than using expensive signal processors, can i use this?(the link)

those navones are meant to be the more decent out of the line converters, but i think the MEA store has been out of stock for a while now.

not to mention line converters are really suspectible to noise. Try the 65 buck ish stinger one from jb hi fi? there is a 25 dollar version but i've personally used that and its noisy as...

On a side note, my intentions on referring you to MEA were less for you to buy and hunt for gear but more to learn.

As you've mentioned your're not too experienced with this audio stuff and MEA will give you a good grounding on the basics.

Learning things like the difference between hi and lo level inputs, Xovers, and differences in how you can setup a system is very important . And in time you can also learn what you want in a system and how to pick the right bits for it.

As suggested, if your're a msn user, add me on and its probably easier to talk there.

Edited by negatron

Hey,

I've been looking at upgrading the stereo too.

I've bought two pairs of Eclipse 6x9 speakers to replace the factory ones.

Eclipse and Fujitsu Ten are the same company. Fujitsu ten make all the gear for the Aurion.

There is an ipod adaptor available for the head unit.

Eclipse also have a replacement dash fascia for the stereo which allows you to install a standard single or double din stereo into the dash. The replacement panel replaces the entire piece that houses the standard stereo. Pricing to be confirmed, but estimates from the dealer were around $60.

At this stage i'll be replacing the speakers (probably wednesday), and i'll see how it sounds. If i'm still not happy, i'll go with a new head unit, amps and a sub.

Will post some pics/info once i've done the job.

I took the door trim off to take a look at the front speaker mounts, i'm going to need to make custom mdf mounts as the factory 6x9s have a design where they protrude from the door rather than recess into the door frame. The cutout in the door is too big for a normal 6x9's to mount straight in.

That replacement facia for 60 is a great thing to have. does it turn it into a single or double din?

and pls pls pls for the sake of good music do NOT put 6 x 9s in there.

do a google or go read up on MEA forums, but 6 x 9 is not an optimum design for a speaker and it is far far better to go with a normal (round) component speaker.

having said that it seems that it would require some custom work to get normal round speakers in the car...

how much do u fellas want to spend on custom mounts?

Edited by negatron

That replacement facia for 60 is a great thing to have. does it turn it into a single or double din?

and pls pls pls for the sake of good music do NOT put 6 x 9s in there.

do a google or go read up on MEA forums, but 6 x 9 is not an optimum design for a speaker and it is far far better to go with a normal (round) component speaker.

having said that it seems that it would require some custom work to get normal round speakers in the car...

how much do u fellas want to spend on custom mounts?

The replacement fascia turns it into a double din slot. You can buy a pocket to slide in which will make it a single din.

I know 6x9's are not ideal however the exisitng cutout in the door is for 6x9's. It would take a lot of custom work to fit anything else in. The standard system already has tweeters in the top of the dash, which in my opinion sound crisp and clear enough..

• 5 months later...

Talk to the guys at GL Pro Sound (www.glprosound.com.au) who did the stereo upgrade for my prodigy. Very impressed with the results and installation. Did not change the head unit as i wanted to keep the look "factory", but also ensure that I retain the steering wheel controls for the audio. All that was needed was the Rockford Fosate 3Sixty.1 unit to connect the head-unit wit the amps.

Upgraded the front and back speakers with MB Quart Premium splits and speakers. Added 2x 12inch Rockford Fosgate subs. You'll lose about 40% of boot space, but you still have more than enough for your daily use and the bass is huge! The subs and speakers are powered by two Rockford Fosgate amps.

These guys know they're car audio. I got mine upgraded back in April. One of the reasons I selected these guys because they do the Sat-Nav upgrades to the Aurions for a nearby Toyota dealer. So they have the experience with Aurion installs.

The guys at Tower Audio are pretty good too.

Talk to the guys at GL Pro Sound (www.glprosound.com.au) who did the stereo upgrade for my prodigy. Very impressed with the results and installation. Did not change the head unit as i wanted to keep the look "factory", but also ensure that I retain the steering wheel controls for the audio. All that was needed was the Rockford Fosate 3Sixty.1 unit to connect the head-unit wit the amps.

Upgraded the front and back speakers with MB Quart Premium splits and speakers. Added 2x 12inch Rockford Fosgate subs. You'll lose about 40% of boot space, but you still have more than enough for your daily use and the bass is huge! The subs and speakers are powered by two Rockford Fosgate amps.

These guys know they're car audio. I got mine upgraded back in April. One of the reasons I selected these guys because they do the Sat-Nav upgrades to the Aurions for a nearby Toyota dealer. So they have the experience with Aurion installs.

The guys at Tower Audio are pretty good too.

silver prodigy do you mind telln us how much it cost for that setup and installation?? cheers,

silver prodigy do you mind telln us how much it cost for that setup and installation?? cheers,

After some discussion, I was able to get the job done around $3,300 (gear + install). It will depend on the gear you select, the type of installation you want, etc. If you see them now, you'll find most of the brands would have just released new models, so the price could cary a premium. Keep in mind what you want from the system and they should be able to tailor to your requirements. By the way, they were able to get the install done in a day. Good luck!

After some discussion, I was able to get the job done around $3,300 (gear + install). It will depend on the gear you select, the type of installation you want, etc. If you see them now, you'll find most of the brands would have just released new models, so the price could cary a premium. Keep in mind what you want from the system and they should be able to tailor to your requirements. By the way, they were able to get the install done in a day. Good luck!

thanks for the info share. great stuff. are you going to post any photos of the system??

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Buri_ZR6' date='Oct 10 2007, 12:03 AM' post='197465'

thanks for the info share. great stuff. are you going to post any photos of the system??

Apologies for the late reply. Here are a couple of photos. Not much to show really as the I wanted to keep the look "factory". The only sign that the system has been upgraded is if you look at the boot.

post-5655-1195724737_thumb.jpg

post-5655-1195724809_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...