Swapping Dash's

OK, I'm sure everyone has seen the video of the XRS(?) when it hits lift dash changes colour. I have been told that that isnt possible to do with Aus spec as the red colour we ge in our Sportivos is due to a red layer of plastic in the dash, so we can only change colours from one ot another but not have it variable once its in.

If I were able to get my hands on a XRS dash would I be able to swap out the plastic layer to their one and change the LEDs over with a simple circuit to change colours at rev range?

By the looks of it they also have a solid colour in their dash (caused by colour of plastic, not back lighting)

I have spoken to Northy about this and although he liked the idea, if you screw up it can be expensive. Just chasing as much knowledge on this as I can, I would LOVE to do this.

post-3932-1177890924_thumb.jpg

I don't know about changing the whole cluster but if you can get sound sensing LED kit from Jaycar or something the same i amsure you could rig up some LED behind the cluster umm maybe use an Ascent cluster ( not sure if they the same) that has white dials and the sound sensor could maybe under bonnet or exhaust or a motion senser that detects velocity you faster you go the led glows a different colour..

such a great idea . my clarion changes colour and some change colour depending on volume

I don't want to direct swap the dash for the XRS one, just the plastic layer that defines the colour of display. It looks like I can pick this up for $60 or so, so I think I may buy it anyway and hope I can do something with it, if not I may have something for me to experiment on.

Still, if anyone has more knowledge on this, I would apreciate it muchly

Josh

oooooh Duh. :whistling:

When i was installing the shift light, i played with the instrument cluster - follow the instructions, take it out and fiddle. I think the facade (three-piece sandwich) is removable...

why dont u change all the led to white .

wire a shift light to the car making sure that the light comes on when Vtec activates.

wire the shift light lights to a bunch of red leds and mount next to the white leds.

so... when driving normally... u have a white numbers... in lift mode... everything goes red.

Edited by DuGong

Was thinkning a simple switch would be easy enough to pull info from theecu. there has to be a single signal that would be able to be used that tells the oil pump to engage lift, that would be the signal to change to a different set of LEDs.

Knowing definately that the facade is 3 pieces sandwiched together is good news, i should be able to do something with the XRS one and the aussie one and maybe even only get as far as white numbers and red lines.

Northy has warned me of the LEDs are actually mounted on the PCB so it is soldering work to get them off, and a replacement is $$$.

OK, I'm sure everyone has seen the video of the XRS(?) when it hits lift dash changes colour. I have been told that that isnt possible to do with Aus spec as the red colour we ge in our Sportivos is due to a red layer of plastic in the dash, so we can only change colours from one ot another but not have it variable once its in.

If I were able to get my hands on a XRS dash would I be able to swap out the plastic layer to their one and change the LEDs over with a simple circuit to change colours at rev range?

By the looks of it they also have a solid colour in their dash (caused by colour of plastic, not back lighting)

I have spoken to Northy about this and although he liked the idea, if you screw up it can be expensive. Just chasing as much knowledge on this as I can, I would LOVE to do this.

Hate to burst your bubble guys.. we emailed the guy who put the video up and its all computer generated....

Hey, is that the clip, when the colour changes to blue?? Does anyone have a link, or the file they can send to me please?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of doing the same thing but with ELF (electro luminescent film). I'm gonna do a bit more research and ill re-post. a rpm timer switch should be easy enough to rig to change between films, just need to pull a timing signal from the ecu, and adjust the switch point for preferred rpm. could whack in trim pots to adjust for different engine type.

will keep everyone informed of progress.