Speedo

Hi All

Hopefully my ZR6 will arrive within a few weeks - :( The wait is killing me...

Anyway, I drove an XS6 for a day a while back and yes the dash is nice to look at, but to my mind you cant tell what speed you are doing within 3-4 km/h! These days that is a recipe for a nasty letter in the mail. I firmly believe that Toyota should add digital speed readout as an option on the display. If enough people think the same, could it happen?

Anyone here technical enough to know if its any more than a firmware upgrade?

(here endeth my first post)

Hereth begins my 161st post :clap:

Digital dashies are fun (I have an Echo), and you are given the impression that the display is 100% accurate, but it isn't necessarily (Echo and Yaris owners have had a long and colourful history of having inaccurate digital speedos). If you want accuracy, it wont be found on any speedo unless you can confirm it with, I guess, the gold standard ("excuse me Mr officer, can you tell me how fast i was going - i want to know if my speedo is good").

blah blah blah.

Trying not to sound too much like a Jaycar salesman, I know you can get DIY digital speedo readout kits from them that you can slap on your dash.

Hope this rant helps. It's been a long day, and it is time to end it.

Congrats on your purchase - I love those Aurions!

you are given the impression that the display is 100% accurate, but it isn't necessarily

Yeah good point - still I think the needle is too thick and there arent enough calibration points to make it easy to read...

...after all its a SPEEDO and should convey that vital bit of data unambiguously to the driver.

Sorry guys, can't seem to see what the problem is. I find it quite easy to read the speedo and everything else on the display. My only beef, although just a small one, is I can't reduce the brightness of the radio dispaly at night. It virtually lights up the whole car when you're driving. If there is a way to dim it a bit can someone please let me know.

Thanks.

My only beef, although just a small one, is I can't reduce the brightness of the radio dispaly at night. It virtually lights up the whole car when you're driving. If there is a way to dim it a bit can someone please let me know.

Thanks.

yes this is possible, open up the console, change the led bulb, which i m doing very very soon... facing the same problem... but thinkin of changing the whole console, i hv to recosider on wat to do.. Open the console, u can see the led.

yes this is possible, open up the console, change the led bulb, which i m doing very very soon... facing the same problem... but thinkin of changing the whole console, i hv to recosider on wat to do.. Open the console, u can see the led.

Well really, I think that's crap if that's the only way to dim the light. I'll be bringing it up with my dealer when I take the car in for its 1000 km service.

Please dont hurt me when I suggest this:

Why not get some window tinting cut-offs and cover the offending area... this saves you having to pull the dash apart...

Okay, this is what I'll do.

Next service, which is not too far away, I'll have a chat to the service manager about it.

If he gives me any info at all I'll post it.

There's got to be a way of dimming the thing.

Picking up my zr6 in 4 days. LOL i want to see that dash light. It must be damn bright if this many people are complaining. By the way does the front lights appear white or yellowish in dark???

Sorry guys, can't seem to see what the problem is. I find it quite easy to read the speedo and everything else on the display. My only beef, although just a small one, is I can't reduce the brightness of the radio dispaly at night. It virtually lights up the whole car when you're driving. If there is a way to dim it a bit can someone please let me know.

Thanks.

ey guys,

i just picked up my new zr6 aurion 3 days ago, and i can say it's a damn nice car...well anyway with my new car, it comes with a odo dimer so i am able to dim it to as dark as i like to as bright as possible to light up the whole front. So maybe you guys could ask your dealers to get this dimer installed on your cars?

cheers,

dice

Edited by Dice87

Thanks.

ey guys,

i just picked up my new zr6 aurion 3 days ago, and i can say it's a damn nice car...well anyway with my new car, it comes with a odo dimer so i am able to dim it to as dark as i like to as bright as possible to light up the whole front. So maybe you guys could ask your dealers to get this dimer installed on your cars?

cheers,

dice

The dimmer in my ZR6 only dims the Instrument cluster, not the panel surrounding the radio. Are you saying that your radio blue light surround gets dimmed when you dim the dash display?

I looked at pulling apart the display to replace the led's however it doesn't look that easy. I was able to get the stereo/hvac control panel out easily, but there seems to be a fair bit of dissasembly required to actaully get to the lighting around the stereo.

Thanks.

ey guys,

cheers,

dice

The dimmer in my ZR6 only dims the Instrument cluster, not the panel surrounding the radio. Are you saying that your radio blue light surround gets dimmed when you dim the dash display?

I looked at pulling apart the display to replace the led's however it doesn't look that easy. I was able to get the stereo/hvac control panel out easily, but there seems to be a fair bit of dissasembly required to actaully get to the lighting around the stereo.

oh..lol, sorry..my bad i didnt read it properly...nuh i can't dim the blue light around the radio, i am not too fussed about the blue lighting around the radio for it's not overly bright on my car with the nav system.

Picking up my zr6 in 4 days. LOL i want to see that dash light. It must be damn bright if this many people are complaining. By the way does the front lights appear white or yellowish in dark???

As far as I'm aware they are pure white. Lights are fantanstic on this car, they really give good vision at night. When travelling in another car ahead of ZR6 looks like lights are really dull but that's not the case at all.

Thanks.

ey guys,

cheers,

dice

oh..lol, sorry..my bad i didnt read it properly...nuh i can't dim the blue light around the radio, i am not too fussed about the blue lighting around the radio for it's not overly bright on my car with the nav system.

That would be right as the NAV system is a totally diferent set-up.

The brightness doesn't bother me greatly but it would be nice to be able control it, if you know what I mean.