muffler reccomendations ?

Guest delete

Guest JDM y0 !

:help:

ok for my new engine set up in the ae86 im getting a 2.0 or 2.25 inch exhaust made up.

anyone reccomend a reasonably priced muffler ? prefere a jap brand. i definetly dont want a hektic cannon muffler. i was thinking reinhard but was having trouble finding them in victoria.

any ideas for a good muffler ?

prefere something that has a not too bad idle. but it doesnt matter too much :)

thanks guys :)

(sorry if this has been asked before)

.... EDIT.... if you know prices then thats a big help :P

Edited by JDM y0 !

Most places would recommend 2.0, but i think 2.25 press bend is ok, you get better flow out it, just make sure you get a good muffler, something abit restrictive since your getting good flow if your planning to go 2.25. X force makes pretty good mufflers too and at a good price. Japanese muffler would be heaps expensive, you would be paying $500 for a kakimoto, im my opinion it isnt worth it unless you got the money to spend. 5zigen makes ncie stuff too. I think 3inch twin tip would look hot on a ae86.

Cheers

meh id go something like 2" with cat, res and some kind of redblack muffler then it will sound like my car <_<

2.25 drones to much 4 me

Guest JDM y0 !

lol yah i want it to sound like yours leo !

when we went driving in your car the idle was nice and quite (for a custom exhaust) and it sounded good as it revved.

leo where can i get a muffler like yours ?

im not going to be running a cat. ;)

Edited by JDM y0 !

Guest JDM y0 !

the engine going in will be an NA engine :toast: .... cant stand forced induction :P

i thought in austalia a car that is pre 1989 and did not come with a cat can run without a cat ?

Edited by JDM y0 !

Guest JDM y0 !

2 inch exhaust will be plenty.

just got to look at a decent muffler.

anyone know the rule reguarding pre 1989 cars that didnt come with a cat, can we still run without a cat ?

get your mufflers custom made if you are wanting to extract every bit of power out of it. you could go with the cheapish Chinese made x force if you want or redback but go to an exhaust shop that manufactures mufflers ans systems not just fits off the shelf stuff. give them some engine specs etc etc then if they are decent they will be able to tell you what diameter pipe and what type/types of mufflers and resonators you will need to run to get the power and also still be legal noise wise.

Ahh didn't know about a possible rule regarding pre 89 cars running with no cat. No idea myself...

What engine are you running ? It makes alot of difference if we know. Eg. i would not want to be running a 2" exhaust for a 3s-ge. 2" for a 4a-ge would be ok though, if you weren't planning to cam the bugger etc for high revs.

Guest JDM y0 !

the engine is a smallport 4age from late model ae92. (all ae86s had bigport). its a light tune smallport at the moment. TRD headgasket for increased compression, TRD extractors have also been bought. and the flywheel has been lightened also.

although pretty soon after the swap the engine will see bigger cams (not too big as the stock ecu will be used for a while).

so the exhaust will be trd extractors then proberly just a single muffler.

im going to research about the pre 98 rule for the CAT converter. the engine is an ae92 and its 1989-1990 i think.. (7 rib block etc)

Edited by JDM y0 !

With that engine, i myself would probably go for 2.25". Those engines have no torque down below anyways, and it sounds like you'll be modding it fairly seriously... so 2.25" would be nice to have, for the high rpms you'll be running the engine at.

edit - Have a look at the x-force stuff... it's not very pricey but the quality is actually quite good. They've got several styles of mufflers too, if you're not after heaps of noise, perhaps 2.25 mandrel bent exhaust, high flow resonator and twin loop muffler ?

My $0.02 ;)

Edited by Delvance

2 inch exhaust will be plenty.

just got to look at a decent muffler.

anyone know the rule reguarding pre 1989 cars that didnt come with a cat, can we still run without a cat ?

it's pre 1986 I think, coinciding with the introduction of unleaded fuel

Guest JDM y0 !

thanks guys :toast:

im going to have a look into a few of these. particulary the twin loop mufflers.

yes my plans for the engine is EVENTUALLY as money allows an ecu, some good cams and a set ITBs.... eventually lol

The emissions gear has to match the engine/ecu etc, so to be legal you will need a cat. It wont effect the performance of a smallport anyway.

Guest JDM y0 !

yeah i guess i should run a cat. my reason for not wanting to run a cat is i CBF buying one. lol. NA engines dont matter too much about the cat, unlike turbo engines where restriction matter a lot.

im still looking for the place that sell reinhard in vic, cant find it yet, want to get a price on it and if it not bad price i will get one. either that or get a muffler like leo :P

theres an reputable shop here in bris who stock reinhard exhausts ;)

slightly OT: best catback for a NA 2zz is the trd kazuma (if u have a celica) or a custom 2.5inch from catback with no muffler ;) (if u have a stivo)

no shi7 it pulls so much harder from mid to top and only a very very very minimal loss in bottom end

yes its fkn loud and no ur neighbours wont like u :lol:

Guest JDM y0 !

lol mad video wei wei !! :o

what muffler were you using ? i like that sound, i cant stand rumble v8 br0 sounds... i like a nice raspy sound :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JDM y0 !
With that engine, i myself would probably go for 2.25". Those engines have no torque down below anyways, and it sounds like you'll be modding it fairly seriously... so 2.25" would be nice to have, for the high rpms you'll be running the engine at.

edit - Have a look at the x-force stuff... it's not very pricey but the quality is actually quite good. They've got several styles of mufflers too, if you're not after heaps of noise, perhaps 2.25 mandrel bent exhaust, high flow resonator and twin loop muffler ?

My $0.02 ;)

thank you. had a look at some mufflers and for now i might go an xforce muffler.

by the way, i think your $0.02 was great... its more like $0.04 :P :)

my cheap half ***** exhuast from the cat back cost like $300 (which includes 2" pressbend pipes, res and sik sports muffler).

also with 2.25 u would lose low down torque cos of the lack of backpressure even for a stockish motor, and alil to loud for the RTA with a sports muffler... for a street car its not worth the attention

offtopic: if i had the chance.. id so go back :spiteful:

left.JPG

Guest JDM y0 !

eh leo im gonna put some bigger cams in it some time soon so would 2 inch still be ok ??

hey leo what size is a commodore cat converter ?...

going full exhaust.. i got some trd extractors.

u gotta research what your after, biggercams? what duration? upgrading ecu also? or going carb? etc...

and u might as well get a new cat, a commo cat would probly stuff ur motor up somehow

edit: have u also thought about how ur going to stop? brakes, tyres, suspension, blah blah blah dam these old cars

Edited by rthy