New Performance Mods

Ilivfor6

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Contact Bruce to get a price due to exchange rates. Stuart and I both are doing the same mod...is he my long lost brother... :blink:. And yes the clutch is a lot heavier than the standard.

I'd hope it was a lot less than $500 delivered, did it come with the throwout bearing?

The last custom clutch I had done was $300 for a full faced plate with heavy duty cover (higher than TRD spec), flywheel surfacing, balancing the assembly and a new throwout bearing.

The one before that was $500 for a custom 4-puck sprung center ceramic faced plate with uprated pressure plate (higher than TRD spec again) with throwout bearing, flywheel surfacing and assembly balancing.

I'd highly recommend Nick's performance clutches for any performance need. http://www.npcperformance.com.au/index.html

Here's a pic of another clutch I got for $190, heavy duty pressure plate with full face exeedy disc, throwout bearing and flywheel surface. ps, check out the similarities between the $100 heavy duty pressure plate and the TRD item above ;)

post-148-1096285732_thumb.jpg

Edited by rollamods

Chose the TRD clutch because after a lot of research this was the only clutch I could not find any negative feedback about. All other brands that I could search on there were always people who were sorry for choosing what they chose and would choose differently if they could do over.

Was not the case with the TRD unit. All who had done it would not hesitate using the same one again. Might be more expensive but I have complete confidence in it.

As clamping force goes I do not need more as the car is staying N/A. I want the car still to be perfectly driveable for myself & my wife. From what I have read the TRD clutch seems to be perfectly setup for the mods I am doing to the car. After all it was designed for the TRD modded 2zzg which is basically the same as what I am doing to mine. :D

For my mods I do not look at cost, I'll research the parts thoroughly and make the decision on what I find to be the best option for myself and my car. Once the decision is made I then look at the price and work out a saving plan to get me that part. I then save until I can buy it.

It is the same with the LSD I am now saving for. There are some at half the price (including the TRD unit) but the one I have researched as the best has no real competion as far as quality, performance and reliability goe's, so I just save for longer to get it. If it takes 6 months longer so be it, at least I have no doubts when it is finally installed as I know it's the best part for me. :D :D :D

um yeah!!!........sorry what was that stew? I was looking at michaels avatar....:P

Agreed with the TRD clutch. As having driven a Sportivo with one already fitted. IT certainly feels nice and tight with an amazing amount of 'user friendlyness' in the changes. (that and gear selector cables/knob, bushes .....gees almost as nice as a mugen box :P )

Also agree with you pay for what you get ;) ....yes there are cheaper alternatives to TRD parts and accessories....but remember Each To Their Own

ok, for those out there that dont fully understand... Exedy is the OEM for the TRD 31210-AE100 pressure plate, and you can save a lot of money by purchasing the "non-shiney" item.

People are free to spend their money on whatever label they want, it just pays to be educated in your purchase.

Can anyone here tell me the difference between the 31210-AE100 TRD pressure plate and the 700kg Exedy TC03T pressure plate apart from the colour of the pressed steel cover?

The pivot point is exactly the same (ie same clutch "weight"), the clamp pressure is exactly the same, the cover is the same, etc etc. The only difference is price.

http://toyota-trd.jp/en/strt/d_clutch.html

In Japan the retail price of the TRD cover is about 27000yen, and the online retail price for the Daikin/Exedy is between 20000 and 25000... Those are for the same part. Toyota has a massive markup on most spare parts and if you know the right people you can usually obtain up to a 60% discount off the genuine RRP. So it should be no suprise that a major clutch provider can sell the same clutch setup at Toyota's "cost" price. Bruce probably doesn't pay the Toyota cost price for his parts, so he wouldn't be making a fortune on his sales.

So in the case of the TRD clutch, you definately do not get what you pay for, unless you want the rice value of a "TRD Clutch" to add to your signature.

Edited by rollamods

mmmAHHAHAHHAHAAAHA!!

somehow i see that you guys have paid over $500 for your "TuRD" clutch for a bog stock Daiken Exedy item!! :lol:

Just for some bling factor which no one will ever see.....

Just to put evidence behind rollamods statements, a friend of mine paid ~$400 for a HD clutch for his SX rolla, and he works for toyota.

I bought that same Daiken clutch with a standard pressure plate for $200, if we allow an extra $50 for the HD pressure plate... then thats a massive $150 markup on the RETAIL price of the Daiken.

Oh.... that friend WORKS for toyota too :P

Care factor from myself and ILIVFOR6 ...0 do what you want or like it is your choice. We are both happy with our purchases. It was the choice we made and if we paid more so be it that is our problem and nobody elses. So please don't make it yours.

ok, for those out there that dont fully understand... Exedy is the OEM for the TRD 31210-AE100 pressure plate, and you can save a lot of money by purchasing the "non-shiney" item.

People are free to spend their money on whatever label they want, it just pays to be educated in your purchase.

Can anyone here tell me the difference between the 31210-AE100 TRD pressure plate and the 700kg Exedy TC03T pressure plate apart from the colour of the pressed steel cover?

The pivot point is exactly the same (ie same clutch "weight"), the clamp pressure is exactly the same, the cover is the same, etc etc.  The only difference is price.

http://toyota-trd.jp/en/strt/d_clutch.html

In Japan the retail price of the TRD cover is about 27000yen, and the online retail price for the Daikin/Exedy is between 20000 and 25000... Those are for the same part. Toyota has a massive markup on most spare parts and if you know the right people you can usually obtain up to a 60% discount off the genuine RRP.  So it should be no suprise that a major clutch provider can sell the same clutch setup at Toyota's "cost" price. Bruce probably doesn't pay the Toyota cost price for his parts, so he wouldn't be making a fortune on his sales.

So in the case of the TRD clutch, you definately do not get what you pay for, unless you want the rice value of a "TRD Clutch" to add to your signature.

I get where your points are coming from, but you are just assuming what I paid for the TRD Clutch and the price you have assumed is wrong. Peekay & myself actually costed out the Exedy package and guess what it was $30 less than my quote for the TRD unit.

Oh my *** I paid $30.00 too much :o But as I & peekay deal through Bruce all the time if we have an issue with a part it is dealt with instantly no questions and the service he gives us is exceptional. Working up to 14-16hr days, time for me is at a premium so if $30.00 gets me service that takes care of everything from 1 phone call then I'll pay it gladly. It'll cost me more than that to spend 15 minutes away from work trying to get best prices from other places.

Captain Upsidedown I hope you had a good laugh. It would seem though the only times you pop up here in this forum is to take swipes at people. Is there a problem in your life that gives you a need to belittle others to give yourself a feeling of worth. Would you like to sit down and tell me about your many percieved inadequacies. Maybe I can help you overcome them and grow a little as a person.

But as your entire jibe was based on a wrong assumption you would seem to be the one who is left looking a little stupid. I guess now though you will come back even harder as here is another inadequacy you will feel a need to make up for :D

Oh and I posted the pictures because there are a couple of people here on the forum I regard as good friends and they were interested in seeing the parts before going in the car.

Cheers mate it was a pleasure as always

um yeah!!!........sorry what was that stew? I was looking at michaels avatar....:P

Agreed with the TRD clutch. As having driven a Sportivo with one already fitted. IT certainly feels  nice and tight with an amazing amount of 'user friendlyness' in the changes. (that and gear selector cables/knob, bushes .....gees almost as nice as a mugen box :P )

Also agree with you pay for what you get ;) ....yes there are cheaper alternatives to TRD parts and accessories....but remember Each To Their Own

Sorry guys that last paragraph should have read "Also agree with you pay for what you get ;) ....yes there are cheaper alternatives (which are just as good if not better) to TRD parts and accessories....but remember ]Each To Their Own

I hate to have to 'spell' things out for people. Read more into what people right and rather than jump to the conclusion that TRD is the pinacle of tunning parts for our car and that no other brand is capable of coming anywhere close..

We have already touched this topic recently and I DON'T WANT IT TO END UP LIKE LAST TIME.

The 'opinions' voiced on this forum are for the benefit of ALL READERS not just the members but also for guests. If someone mentions that they have driven a car with a XXXX brand part and are making comment on it for the benefit of the others. they are in no means saying that brand YYYY is worse or better. Just that this is what they thought.

Please guys. take a moment to think about the direction we want this forum to head. In the time that I have been here it has grown in to what I claim to be THE BEST sportivo page in AUS. I'd hate to see a rift occur because brands ego gets in the way.

Craig

...at least the forum community now knows they have options. I'd be very suprised if the same setup from NPC was not $150 cheaper. Seeing how you dont want to share the price you personally paid, or even give a range, let's guess Bruce gave you a $200 discount from his retail price listed on his website (in this case I would take back my statement that he doesn't make a fortune from selling these parts because that would mean he has more than 30% margin on the setup). The same setup from NPC is $250 at most, cheaper if you buy more.

Where did you get your Daikin quote from? it doesn't sound competetive...

I've been buying car parts for years from all round the place, and I like to share the info I find to assist other forum members in their purchases and save them money.

Edited by rollamods

Fellas

Its going to get to the point that guys like Peekay and Ilivfor will not post any of the mods that they have done. Hence most of us here will be flying blind when it comes time to perform mods

A couple of questions

1) B4 Peekay posted about the Unichip upgrade that he found, who knew about it?

2) If u knew about it, Who had the guts to actual spend the money and put it on their car?

The list of mods they have done and tried can go on and on, slagging them is going to be to detriment not benefit.

Rollamods this is not a personal attack but please post of mods that u have made that work and please back them up with figures. This would benefit all forum members.

Captain Upsidedown like Ilivfor said thanx for ur presence for the week. Why dont u also post mods that work instead of critising. Especially when the parts are tested and are known to work

I dont know these guys personally but have respect for them for putting their money where their month is

NIKICH thanks for your comments it is appretiated :D :D . Yes you do get sick of the back stabbing or carrying on (which is not wanted or needed). We have other mods that we could list but don't because every time we do some one jumps on the band wagon having a go at us for no reason at all. We do a huge amount of research on most of the stuff we buy. I don't like wasting money any more than anyone else. If certain individuals want to wreck it for others then please leave this forum you are wasting our time.

Rollamods ...Stew was not directing his comments at you it was at Captain I have no value to add Upside down. But Nickich has a point.

I'm with NIKICH on this one.... I don't know Peekay or Ilivfor6 personally either, but love hearing about the things they do to their cars. For the sake of money and my Warranty I have kept my car stock, so kind of live my dreams though them.... MUCH RESPECT.... and as such, when I do start modding, I should know the best/worst things to do, due to the time effort and money that these guys have spent.

Also get off their backs about the TRD thing. You have to think about Bruce on this one, do you honestly think that if Bruce gave the same price to a first time buyer as he gives to the hard core purchsers that he would still be in business? I'm sure they have their reasons for not disclosing price. I thing the more important point is the intallation cost, because that should be universal, though still swings in Peekays favour due to his connections again.... geeeez

But that being said, we all have our own opinions that we are free to express, just don't attatck people for actually making a choice that THEY like..... Not necessarilly what we all agree with, but what they decided suited their purpose best!!!!!!

Edited by Blue_Sportivo_VVTLi

The price for the Exedy came from their display at the autosalon and they were not in the least interested in talking about discounts. They could not even answer questions without refering to catalogues so we walked away.

The relationship Paul/myself and Bruce have is both ways and more than just buying something from him. This meens sometimes he is able to extend an extra good deal for the both of us and in such a circumstance we keep that between us, otherwise we share. And there are a few members here who have benefited from this as we have from them!

I had no problem with your posts and concede you brought up very good points but at the same time were not personal in nature. Just sharing some valid information I am sure may save some guys, who do not have access to some deals I do, some money and that is a good thing. I agree with what you were saying that is why I purchased the TOMS flywheel over the TRD one as it is a good amount cheaper while being a superior unit.

My issue was with Captain Upsidedown as his post was very much in the form of an attack;

"mmmAHHAHAHHAHAAAHA!!

somehow i see that you guys have paid over $500 for your "TuRD" clutch for a bog stock Daiken Exedy item!!

Just for some bling factor which no one will ever see....."

Why he had to term it like that or what the problem he has is, I do not know and until I read that I thought this thread was a good discussion with valid points that would have applied if not for the price I payed.

Cheers rollamods, no harsh feelings directed your way at all. Was enjoying your input right up to the point of Captain Upsidedown.

ok, my mods I have done to my cars, I'll start with the ones I still own and are registered.

2001 WRX:

-Custom made Fulcrum coilovers with Koni inserts and progressive rate springs on threaded sleeves

-Whiteline antilift kit

-Whiteline adjustable rear swaybar

-CNC machined short shift lever

-3" BPM GT exhaust from the turbo back with optional silencer

-18" Advanti atomic rims with 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Preceda's

The suspension setup in the rex took away the inherent understeer associated with the WRX, the short shift was mostly cosmetic which reduced the thrown by 80mm, the exhaust allowed the turbo to spool 700rpm sooner.

1988 toyota chaser:

-1ggte manual from factory

-JZA70 supra LSD center installed in the chaser housing (G series clutch type

-1jzgte swap about to be commenced with the R154 manual box which "internet people" say wont fit...

-JIC rear coilovers with 300lb rear fixed rate king springs, custom front coilovers with 400lb front fixed rate king springs

-Nissan R33 4 pot front brake upgrade with Falcon BA slotted rotors

No real performance figures for this one yet, should do high 12's on the quarter when I'm done with it in 2 months time

1992 AE94 Hatch:

-AE111 20V engine conversion (performed in my garage by myself in 4 days)

-AE111 C56 close ratio LSD gearbox with equal length shafts

-AE111 short shift

-AE111 "superstrut" front brakes (twin piston) with custom machined ST185 discs reduced in diameter to 260mm and redrilled to 4x100

-AE93 SX rear disc brake swap

-2.25" press bent exhaust from factory AE111 20V headers

-AE93 strut brace

-AE93 SX seca interior

-Custom front speaker pods

-Whiteline adjustable front and rear swaybars

-Cusco coilovers

-17" rims with falken 451 205/40/17's

-Zender rear wing and front spoiler

-Custom paint

-Custom CAI

-Custom Alarm install

This is the car I built for my girlfriend for her everyday car. I did ALL the work on it, all mechanical, electical, fabrication and paint. No performance figures yet but we have a full day organised at Darlington Park Raceway next month where I'll get some times for it. I'd expect a low 15 second quarter mile, but 20V's are slow as **** IMO anyway.

AE71 Corolla Sedan

-4agte

-K24 turbo on cast blitz manifold with blitz external wastegate.

-cut and shut smallport 4age inlet manifold also tapped for intake air temp sensor

-MAP 4agze ECU and DLI with Greddy Emanage piggyback with my custom circuit to allow timing control (which the "internet people" said couldn't be done...)

-custom made engine loom

-W55 gearbox on custom W>4A bellhousing

-stock bog-warmer rear diff soon to be upgraded to a shortened R31 item.

-15x7 speedstar mesh rims with garbage cheap 195/50/15's

-KYB commodore rear struts with king low springs

-KYB inserts in AE85 front struts with king low springs

-whiteline front and rear swaybars

-whiteline strut brace

-Bosche fuel pump

-1ggte intercooler

-blitz BOV

probably a bunch more stuff I cant remember off the top of my head... this one has about 150kw at the fly with a lot more torque than the NA motors. I built this car as it was cheap and I wanted to prove a few points that "internet people" said couldn't be done.

Now I'll move on to cars which I no longer own, and others I'm currently doing work on.

1990 AE93 SX corolla

-AE101 20V engine conversion

-AE111 C56 close ratio gearbox

-AE111 short shifter

-CRX seats on custom modified AE92 seatrails

-17" Advanit Vallen's with 205/40/17 Kuhmo 712's

-AE101 twin piston superstrut front brakes on reduced diameter superstrut discs with custom slotting performed.

-Monroe GT gas shocks all round with King low springs

-2" exhaust

-custom CAI

-Custom Stereo install including 2x10" subs in custom enclosure.

-Custom alarm install

-blah blah blah

This was my old SX that was sold to MAP81. After it was sold I did the 20V and driveline swap for him, along with the brake upgrade and stereo install, all electrical work etc.

1989 Corolla CS sedan

-1991 MAP 4agze conversion

-E58 gearbox with equal length shafts

-custom 4 puck ceramic clutch with balanced flywheel

-Levin GTZ front seats

-Levin GTZ dash and climate control

-Superstrut twin piston front brake upgrade with custom discs

-custom moulded pod for boost and AF guages

-KYB struts all round with king low springs

-Levin GTZ rear disc conversion with custom bushes to fit drum brake rear arms (which had not been done in Aus before)

-whiteline rear swaybar

-AE94 EFI fuel tank and lines

-levin GTZ front suspension subframe and swaybar

-Custom CAI with integrated scoop in front bar

-Custom stereo install with fabricated speaker pods front and rear

-aftermarket central locking and alarm install

-HKS 164mm crank pulley with HKS topmount

etc etc etc

This is my old supercharged sedan which ended up being sold to a mechanic that works for Motorama Toyota in Brisbane. It's a very quick car and has massive amounts of torque from 1500rpm, it would be gone in the distance before a stivo had time to reach 'lift'. This car is a fair amount quicker in a straight line than my WRX due to it's light weight and torque. The new owner has not had it down the quarter mile yet and I only had it out on the circuit at queensland raceway so no drag times.

Then there's all the other car's I've done electrical and mechanical work on, soarers, corollas, pulsars, etc.

and the last but not least...

2003 Levin (belongs to MAP81):

-Tein spring install

-Greddy emanage install on custom fields harness, yet to be tuned by Mercury Motorsport

-Custom CAI

Now on this car, I fabricated the fields harness myself so the emange install does not compromise the factory loom, and it can be installed/removed without any trace. This is different to the normal unichip/emanage/safc/other piggyback install which involves hacking into your factory loom which voids the factory electical warranty.

I expect about an 8-10kw gain at the wheels on Marks car, we will see when Mercury are ready to tune it, at this stage they haven't done an emanage tune and we're not comfortable paying them $140 an hour to learn how to tune an emange. The last one I had done was at Redcliffe dyno on a different car and we picked up 40kw ATW (turbo motor obviously), but Mark would prefer to go to Mercury for the tune on this one.

So have I put my mods where my mouth is? :P

Shao, Northy and MAP81 all know my cars.

Edited by rollamods

wow! the list is long but destinguished! :P makes mostt people look like amateurs who push shopping trolleys for a living. :lol: funny. the last few topics have all started a riot. that's why i love this forum. Now, if i could only tap into all that passion to generate another good Sydney meet. :lol: