Anyone here cycle??

Simo

Im going to be losing my license for a LONG time, I can see work from home, but its about a 10 minute drive so i guess riding a bike wont be too bad also for my beer gut and man bosoms...

Its been fukin years since i owned a bike, but i do guess its kinda like buying a car..... Which brands are the best etc?

Luv

Simo

how long if i may ask? also alot of things to think about with a bike, how many hills u gotta climb?

and how steep are said hills.

I bought my bike for triathlon but have since ventured into the hills with it and the gearing sucks. Triathlon bikes are geared for the flat and suck **** once you get much of an incline at all. It's a good daily commuter bike though.

well -11 points* so probably about a year, i prolly wanna go the mountain bike option cause i know a few short cuts that will involve dirt tracks n ****

*yes i know im a *******, but im facing the consequences of my actions.......

Edited by Simo

just get a mad down hill bike. you'll get even fitter than a road bike cos you'll have to pedal harder. but on the weekends at least you'll be able to bomb some mountains and get some of that adrenalin stuff pumpin!

just get a mad down hill bike. you'll get even fitter than a road bike cos you'll have to pedal harder. but on the weekends at least you'll be able to bomb some mountains and get some of that adrenalin stuff pumpin!

Thats not stupid...?

Anyway.....depends on what you want to spend.

Descent ones start at around $600 for a hardtail and go up past 10k. If you want a dualie you'd be looking at 3k+ for a quality one. Semi-slick tires would be the way to go as they have some traction off road....and don't stick to the road and slow you down.

Edited by Doug12

i remember i got my mountain bike for $150... u dont have to get a top of the range bike if ur not competing... my advice is buy a second hand one... i wanna get rid of mine since i havent touched it ever since i got my Ls lol...

Just buy a decent hardtail man. Drop about $500 - $1k on a chromoly-framed GT and you won't regret it. And downhill that ****, there ain't any other form of riding!

having a $700 bike is like having a 800hp supra.... it's mad but it's too much for a daily driver... u might aswell settle for a $150 bike... it's like having a 200hp supra which is more than enough for pointA to pointB commuting... am i making any sense???

Don't buy a $150 bike they are $hite and you could probably hurt yourself. Parts are really expensive and one minor part could cost as much as the bike to replace. If you are going to ride it for a year I would recommend someting in the $500 to $700 range.

Now is a good time to buy as most of the shops are starting to get in their 2008 range. So you can pick up a 2006 / 2007 model cheaper.

As you will need to ride in all weather I would try to get something with disk brakes (cable at these price ranges).

The well known brands are good in this price range but I would stick with Trek or Giant.

If you want you can try cell bikes an Aus coy that sells on line. They have one that is not too bad reduced from $950 to $649 Look at the site and compare with bike shop prices. The only problem is you don't get any after sales service so if you are not handy with bikes buy from your local bike shop.

Cell bikes

All-purpose, all-mountain dirt bike for riders who like being more off-road, than on.

Features

Shimano 27 speed Deore group gears

Shimano Deore Dual Control shifter

Shimano Disc Brakes, All weather stopping

RST GILA PLUS-SL 4 inch travel lock out adjustable fork

ALEX DP20 Light weight, double-wall, off-road rims

Over size seat post

Great handling

I used to be super active matey, then i rooted my knee and used as an excuse to be lazy, so I think im gonna invest in a rad one and get back into it :)

Cheers for the input cobs & or cobettes

Giant, GT, Specialized are good brand. Got a GT Mountain bike several years ago but as my wallet grew bigger so as the mountain bike :P Then I got Specialized.

But then again if you going to be using them for the road i would suggest you getting road bike. You can get a good decent bike for more than $700 nowdays. So goodluck :)

having a $700 bike is like having a 800hp supra.... it's mad but it's too much for a daily driver... u might aswell settle for a $150 bike... it's like having a 200hp supra which is more than enough for pointA to pointB commuting... am i making any sense???

it takes twice the effort to ride a cheap, uncomfortable steel bike then it does an aluminium one. It's worth the extra pennies.

A carbon fibre one is even less effort still, but out of the price range he's looking at.

to each their own... but yea i guess if ur super active n ur gonna be ridin the whole time like offroad n stuff then yea but if u only need a bike to get to work and back then i just don't see it worth that price tag... oh n my $150 was actually marked down from $300... oh and it was a great bike... front n back suspention, 21speed n a couple of other things but it was pretty comfortable... the only thing wrong with it was its weight... but then again if u feel more comfortable buying a more expensive one then that's cool too :D

Make sure its not Steel, all "cheaper" BIG W bikes are, that means HEAVY!!! So stick the Aluminium.

Scott,Giant,Specialized,GT,Trek...anything that bike shops sell are normally pretty good.

I ride often (haven't been lately though) with a Scott Reflex FX-15

The guys I ride with (and gals) have:

Scott Genius MC-30

Scott Genius MC-40

Giant Trance 1

Ellsworth I.d

These are all extremely good Cross Country bikes(these are all dualies). We like Scott (3 of us have them) but the Giant's a great bike.

I reckon you couldn't go past a Giant. There good bikes, Something like a Youcon or a boulder, around $600+. Try and bargain them down to, we allways do. And don't forget about old models as they normally want to clear them!

Goodluck.. :toast:

Edited by Doug12

Check your trading post man, There's some really good deals with bikes. Iv'e seen m/bikes that are well over 1k for $600-700 here in melb. It's like gym equipment, people have good intentions, go buy it and never use it. Then sell it for half price.