2001 1zz v's 2005 1zz

Hey all..

as some of you know, i recently replaced my original engine as it sucked up some water and bent a rod or two....

i replaced it with a 2005 model 1zz.... i realise that they produce a lesser amount of power, but is it the tune on the ecu that is different or is there something else with the engine that is different.... :blink:

its in the car and running nicely, (with my ecu and wiring harness) but it just doesnt seem to have the snappyness that my old engine had..... and before you all say it might have more km's than my old one, my original engine had 155,000 on it, compared to the 25,000 my new one has....

hoping you can help me out...

Jade

The biggest difference was the introduction of the electronic throttle body on later 1zz engines which can make the car feel not quite as responsive as the cable throttle models. I think some sort of egr system also came in as part of the emissions reducing upgrades. These changes are why power went down from 100kw to 93kw.

The engine you have now is the same as the engine you replaced, all engines are diff, I have noticed the same thing with my 2nd 2zz the one I replaced didn't have as much punch as the new one did....

I'd say the mechanics would have just replaced the long motor and retained the original manifolds etc. No need to rewire everything and change ECU's to use electronic throttle, so would still be using cable throttle.

I believe corzza would be well versed in the differences of the 2, could ask him?

I agree with rollamods, seems like a bit of effort to change a car to DBW when there is no need.

If your throttle body has something on the side similar to this then it is drive-by-wire (couldn't find a 1zz throttle body)

dbw_tb_02.jpg

I believe corzza would be well versed in the differences of the 2, could ask him?

I agree with rollamods, seems like a bit of effort to change a car to DBW when there is no need.

If your throttle body has something on the side similar to this then it is drive-by-wire (couldn't find a 1zz throttle body)

dbw_tb_02.jpg

just look if theres a cable running over the plastic engine cover towards the throttle body, thats a good enough give away LOL

or the metal cable puller thing on the throttle body, i dunno what its called.

The engine came as a short engine and we put all my manifolds and throttle body on (and its not DBW).... and all my engine accessories (alternator, power steering, a/c etc). It just feels like it has less power.... i dont know what it is....

i have taken the car to toyota to have the ecu codes pulled out and there are none....

my other half was the mechanic who fitted the engine and we were wondering if the cams are different..... we are using the injectors and coil packs that came on the new engine.... thinking of changing them over to see if it makes a difference.... i think he said that the injectors are a different colour to my original ones..... something to consider....

thanks you for your help so far guys..... any more help would be greatly appreciated

Jade

if the injectors are a different colour then its a very good chance theyre different in flow.

The part numbers are stamped on the side so you can look them up. Whack the originals in and see how it goes, only takes 20 mins to swap them over.

The biggest difference was the introduction of the electronic throttle body on later 1zz engines which can make the car feel not quite as responsive as the cable throttle models. I think some sort of egr system also came in as part of the emissions reducing upgrades. These changes are why power went down from 100kw to 93kw.

As stated above in october 2005 the corolla's became OBD II compliant (also according to redbook).. hence the reduction to 93kw to meet emissions standards. From my experience i bought a OBDII ecu code reader thingy and it only works on my friends 2006 ascent where as i have a 2004 ascent to which it doesnt work on also doesnt work on sportivo. Presumably it could be a change in ECU plus other engine changes that occured in october 2005?

maybe all engines r slightly diff because i feel the other way to everyone, when i sent my corolla for service, toyota gave me a courtesy car (another corolla but facelift) and so since its not my car.. i pushed it as hard as i could.. and it was SO MUCH more responsive then my car and it would actually reach the top end easier then my corolla.. i dunno whts the diff.. but yeh.. kinda ****** off coz tht other corolla really WENT.. compared to mine :S

as rollamods suggested i would swap over the injectors see how that goes. Generally jap manufacturers use colour codes with their injectors, so likelyhood is they are different, maybe the spray pattern or flow volume.

From what i understand you are still using your old ECU yeah? From what i know most factory ECU's don't know how to deal with a change in the injectors well (riching/leaning out, retarding).

Unless it is a short motor from an older US Celica 1zz it is the exact same as your old one internally, so cams and whatnot shouldnt be an issue.

It is known how much of an a55 stock ECUs are, so if after you change the injectors and still have a slothful motor, throw out the stock ECU and put a PFC in there, crank the timing, problem solved :)