Celica vs Corolla

I'm deciding between Corolla and Celica for my first car,

$5000 budget. I prefer Celica because I like the sporty look

(heh aren't we car drivers vain? :))

Which one has the cheaper running cost? I'm guessing it's the Corolla?

Well running cost can vary. You can get a 94 CSi and you will barely pay anything per week. Or go for something like my 20v. I pay around 70-75 a week (comprehensive insurance and shell v-power)

But then again ive ripped every celica thats ever tried to run me.

Im a corolla man myself but if i found a good ra28 1977 celica i would stap it up

I've owned an 89 Celica. you'll be looking at a late 80's - early 90's model for that kind of money.

The celica will handle better straight out of the box and you'll feel sportier. The corolla will be more practical and has modding potential.

The celica:

80's model = 3S-FE 2.0ltr engine (ST model with 89Kw and rear drum brakes) or the 3S-GE 2.0ltr engine (SX model with 100Kw and 4 wheel disc brakes.)

90's model = 5S-F3 2.2ltr engine (100Kw but with more torque than the 3S engines)

The Corolla:

80's model = 4A-FE engine (don't know much about these corollas), also available witht the 20V engine.

Edited by qkslvr

The Corolla:

80's model = 4A-FE engine (don't know much about these corollas), also available witht the 20V engine.

it never came factory with the 20V... the GTi and SX both came the the 16V smallport engines

and I always call my Sportivo the shopping trolley because that's exactly what it is. It's a practical car with a but of mumbo...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah 4afe is correct for some of the old rollas. But some of them also have the 4afc in them or if you go for a rolla sx or gti you will be looking at the 4age 16v. 4age20v you may find in some of these cars but they are all engine conversions.

i say go for the corolla... the ST184 celica (1991) the back seat is soooo small it's a joke... the AE92 corolla (1991) is much better and it can look soo good with 17s and a 2" drop... the corolla is waay cheaper to run and maintain compared to the celica... first of all u got the 1.6L 4AFE (4AGE for the SX or GTI) vs the 2.2L 5SFE... second u got the insurance costs 'hatch' vs 'coupe'... the parts of the corolla are waay cheaper than the celica u find many of them in the wreckers... allthough the celica does have a bigger boot and is more luxurious but when ur spending $5k on a corolla u can get the series2 AE92 (power windows, sunroof n many other luxuries... or u could get the AE93 SX or GTI (Very fast))... now i could almost bet that the normal 4AFE AE92 would barely beat or at least seriously keep up to the 5SFE ST184... yea it's less powerful but WEIGHT plays an important role in aiding the corolla... another drawback with the 4AFE against 5SFE is that the 4AFE sounds like a FART with a muffler on (i don't know what difference a catback or headers would do but yea) now the 5SFE or all 'S' engines for that matter sound dead sexy with the muffler opened up a lil bit

I'd prob go the AE92, i had one as my second car, had it for just under 3 years.....never missed a beat, look sweet with some 17's and color coded bumpers etc and the commodore side indicators, mine just had the 4AFE, which is the fuel injected "economical" motor...comes factroy with i think 78kw @ the fly wheel....correct me if im worng, i just chuked on a pod filter so basically an SRI and it had some ok induction sound.....fun to drive...would rev all day if you wanted it too and cost wise i got it with 170,000km on the clock and sold it with around 205,000 i think.........all i did the whole time was normal services, one pod filter, a new battery & new battery terminals.....very economical and cost effective car.........i had it resprayed also as the 92 models....especially in seal grey could not stand up to austraila conditions.....paint faded bad...i payed 4 grand off my cousin, added rims and tread (500) and 1000 4 respray and sold it 3 years later for 4000 $....great second car......well i guess ne thing would have been as first was a fuel guzzling dropped on its guts pimp mobile....1985 FORD LTD..lol

One thing to go for though would be only get an sx or GTI.....i didnt know ne thing about corollas when i got mine off cousing...i just knew it had a good history (cousins car) fuel injected, power steering and A/C, they were my requirements.....if i had have know what i do now i prob would have hunted for the sx or gti, with better interior, sporty dash, 4 wheel discs, 4AGE "bigport" (not as economical) and other benfits, you would get one for around 5000 ish...just whether they have been flogged more as they had the 100kw motor .....like a wrx would be flogged more than an rx etc...do some investigating.....you will find all you need here on TOCAU i think

pic below of what car can look like with just rims......it needed lowering though :)

good luck with your choice

post-3050-1185163015_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

REPRESENTING FOR ALL DA CELICAS (90-94)

just was with all cars i find its all about service history man... bought my car with same budget in mind.. spent $3000 on motor repair!

not the cars fault, just poor upkeep... i love the Sily-Ka....

so take a friend who knows either the car or mechanics in general!

but straight up and its the honest truth.. to quote "MR22ZZ"

hairdresser or shopping trolly?

and you'll know the answer..

hell i've gone to QLD and SYD a few times in mine... bloody beautiful, and economical (excepting GT)

tho mine has a GT bonnet now ;) and head work.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is taking the thread a bit off-topic, but just how different is the chassis of the corolla to the celica? I mean i know ones a standard get around car with a "beefed up" edition, but what exactly did they do to the 7th gen celica? I've been seriously looking at going for a celica and doing it up over my 1zz, in the belief that the body will handle modding a bit better. I love my 1zz to bits, last thing i want is to have her in bits..