Allex/RunX Rev Limit

Hi Guys

I'm a new member from new zealand.

I have a 2002 tiptronic facelift Toyota Allex (same as the Runx) with TRD Shocks, Springs and Exhaust. It also has the TRD HID head lights(I think) with adjustable height control. It also has the carbon fibre dash console and door window controls.

The Dash is fully white and not red but I know it is definately a 2ZZGE 9000rpm model. I have two issues.

Firstly my Allex limits at 7800 and I use 98 octane fuel. I am in the process of trying Caltex 95 to see if the limit changes but it is just annoying that it limits at 7800 (doesn't let you enjoy the extra 500rpm of lift.)

Secondly how would the dash colour have been changed as I see many people have issues changing from red to something else. Or do I just have a very different corolla? The Allex was imported from Japan and I am the first owner ex Japan.

post-4239-1183943946_thumb.jpg

post-4239-1183945653_thumb.jpg

Edited by teampoizen

Aus spec Sportivos have a 8000rpm limit and they run on 95 octane of higher only. Lower octane fuels make them go like a bag of crap.

As for all the other stuff we don't see anything like that here as all we get is the bare povo models of everything.....

Want more photos, tiptronic hey, must be the same unit out pf the celica, i assume it wont go that hard. May also be limited 7800 cuz its an auto, but i change gears at around 7800-8000, if you go all the way to 8200 the car doesnt usually hit lift between gears (well thats my experience anyway). More is not always better, my 2c but others may disagree.

if the rev limit kicks in at 7800rpm the only way you are gonna change that is with a diff ECU, the 2zz's in the celicas in the US have the same 7800rpm rev limit and the sportivo corolla and the celica here in aus both run to 8200rpm.

Hi Guys

I'm a new member from new zealand.

I have a 2002 tiptronic facelift Toyota Allex (same as the Runx) with TRD Shocks, Springs and Exhaust. It also has the TRD HID head lights(I think) with adjustable height control. It also has the carbon fibre dash console and door window controls.

The Dash is fully white and not red but I know it is definately a 2ZZGE 9000rpm model. I have two issues.

Firstly my Allex limits at 7800 and I use 98 octane fuel. I am in the process of trying Caltex 95 to see if the limit changes but it is just annoying that it limits at 7800 (doesn't let you enjoy the extra 500rpm of lift.)

Secondly how would the dash colour have been changed as I see many people have issues changing from red to something else. Or do I just have a very different corolla? The Allex was imported from Japan and I am the first owner ex Japan.

Mmm...May I ask what Engine u got first? That is no engine pic on your allex. 1zz, 2zz? Don't really think they got a 2ZZ with auto box.

Edited by kelvinsw

It's a 2ZZ dash, but he's got an auto which may be the reason he has the sucky rev limit. All our cars are manuals.

Changing the ECU won't work because it's an auto and the manual ECU won't run the transmission properly I think. You'd have to go aftermarket. Which means $$$$$$s in order to have something what will control, VVTi, Lift and talk to the transmission computer.

Be thankful that your country has no bullsh!t tariff-protected car industry kicking and screaming for a fair go and enjoy the myriad of imports available in NZ! Never mind the 7800RPM rev-limit, it will still go fairly hard. Just grab a CAI and exhaust and you will soon forget :toast:

Well It has the full stainless steel TRD Exhaust System - dont know if I should put branches on (Headers) {I am South African liviing in NZ}

Will the CAI make that much of a difference? I get 500kms on 45ltrs - hitting lift really frequently in first gear.

I have reset my ECU and changed fuel to Caltex 95 and it still has not made a difference. Gonna go back to BP Ultimate 98 and not bother too much about the limit.

I get the following results limiting gears at 7800rpm.

Any thoughts?

80km/h 1st Gear

135km/h 2nd Gear

Any suggestions on what oil to use taking into account the ****ty NZ climate. Also what are the best plugs to go with. The car has done 27500kms so is due for a service shortly.

It is definately a 2ZZGE VVTLI. Any thoughts on how or why the dash is white instead of red?

Thanks for all your feedback thus far.