Aurion Cold Air Intake

Buri_ZR6

I disagree with the theory that Different air intakes dont make much difference...

I have tried different air intake setups on my civic at the track...

and the slowest for me was stock air box stock air intake pipe lenght( no responce no High rpm power)

What has worked best for me is adding 20inchs off lenght to inlet pipe(3inch) and using the top half of my stock air box connecting the the 3inch pipe to it.

Placing the panel filter infront of the wheel facing thefront bumper and having 3 slots where air can come in...

difference between stock air intake (box, pipe) to the CAI i made up at the track is high 14s to real low 14s and 93 94mph speeds to 97 98mph...

With out tuning using a stock Japanesse map...

Maybe the japanesse map works better with longer intake, but the JDM ITR runs 2.75 inch pipe with a closed inbox pod...

Im sure my CAI can be fine tuned to make a bit more... but hardly worth it

There is some sort of vacuum operated butterfly valve in the air intake. Im assuming that this only opens under heavy acceleration. Was thinking about ditching the butterfly. Some sort of custom made funnel that directs air from behind the grill up to the intake would surely increase flow into the airbox. The size of the air intake is quite small so any way of diverting more air into it would surely be a benefit to the huge bore throttle body.

The stock toyota filter looks pretty restrictive and there is also another filter in the top of the airbox before the throttle body. I think increasing the air flow to the box on the standard set up is the best way to go.

without a supercharger or turbocharger forcing extra air under pressure into the engine increasing the air flow capacity to the engine will do nothing at all. The vac butterfly is for warm air on cold start and works well without causing enough of a restriction to worry about with any non supercharged engine anyway. this whole CAI business is an aftermarket accessory rip off using dubious science and dodgy claims

Are you sure this is just for warm air? I have worked on a couple of V6's in the past, and discovered on one of them in particular, it has a total of 3 butterfly valves in the intake. One for the main throttle, and another 2 at different places in the intake which open at different RPM points. The idea was called "VLIRS" I think it was, meaning Variable Length Intake Resonance System, which relied on intake air resonance to improve torque at certain points... and this was on a 1.8L V6 (Mazda Eunos 30x). If you accelerated hard, at about 4000 RPM there would be a sudden huge boost in performance, where it would then fly up to about 6000 RPM, where it would open the second valve, which would then give another huge boost up to 7000 RPM... it was incredible!

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this system exists in the Aurion, as a number of modern V6 engines have this feature.

There is some sort of vacuum operated butterfly valve in the air intake. Im assuming that this only opens under heavy acceleration. Was thinking about ditching the butterfly. Some sort of custom made funnel that directs air from behind the grill up to the intake would surely increase flow into the airbox. The size of the air intake is quite small so any way of diverting more air into it would surely be a benefit to the huge bore throttle body.

The stock toyota filter looks pretty restrictive and there is also another filter in the top of the airbox before the throttle body. I think increasing the air flow to the box on the standard set up is the best way to go.

without a supercharger or turbocharger forcing extra air under pressure into the engine increasing the air flow capacity to the engine will do nothing at all. The vac butterfly is for warm air on cold start and works well without causing enough of a restriction to worry about with any non supercharged engine anyway. this whole CAI business is an aftermarket accessory rip off using dubious science and dodgy claims

Are you sure this is just for warm air? I have worked on a couple of V6's in the past, and discovered on one of them in particular, it has a total of 3 butterfly valves in the intake. One for the main throttle, and another 2 at different places in the intake which open at different RPM points. The idea was called "VLIRS" I think it was, meaning Variable Length Intake Resonance System, which relied on intake air resonance to improve torque at certain points... and this was on a 1.8L V6 (Mazda Eunos 30x). If you accelerated hard, at about 4000 RPM there would be a sudden huge boost in performance, where it would then fly up to about 6000 RPM, where it would open the second valve, which would then give another huge boost up to 7000 RPM... it was incredible!

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this system exists in the Aurion, as a number of modern V6 engines have this feature.

it could work with the aurion but whos got the balls to try it :)

it could work with the aurion but whos got the balls to try it :)

I don't think it's something that could easily be simply "modded" if it isn't there by default ;)

There are just too many complexities involved, especially things such as integrating with that already incredibly smart ECU and modding the intake system.

I haven't looked into how the intake works enough on the Aurion though, as it really is a new car and I don't want to touch a thing yet lol. It hasn't even passed the 1000km mark for me!

The whole idea with the intake resonance altering is that differently tuned length intakes produce different effects based on the induction within the intake. This is a similar reason why in many cases, a CAI may not actually make any difference or could even hinder performance, as different lengths behave differently. In the case of the Aurion, the air intake is exceptionally well designed already, and really does not need any modification. If anything, you might get a better sound (as the standard intakes typically have baffled designs or resonance chambers, which cut down on the noise), but performance will suffer as a result.

You will also find that even though the engine may be a very big breather, a larger intake may not help either, as larger pipes cause slower air flow through. A smaller intake will allow faster air movement, and up to a point, won't cause any air starvation to the engine either. Just a little bit of food for thought ;)

FOUND NEW PROBLEM:

i wanna try what will happen when i mod my air intake with custom made pipe and HKS stuff on. All item ordered/arrived, and then found something... there are 3 sensors leading into the air box? we pulled out 1, and there is a "click", which sounds like a clip or glue thing broke? then we start to worry bout warranty shxt stuff. So we quickly stop touching anything else.

Who in this forum had faced this kind of problem?

I called Lane toyota, person called AL, not sure if he is a farkin noob or wat, but he told me that we cant touch ANYTHING on the engine, this is void the engine warranty?

What does it mean any anything? Does it mean EVERYTHING relates to engine?

Then what? i remember someone in this forum talks about K&N intake for aurion, so changing that will void warranty then...?

I know a lot of ppl get CAI for corrolla here, is your car engine warranty void? IF no, then why cant we mod aurion's?

Anything added that will change the behviour of the engine will void the warranty when a defect arises, Check Section 1-8 dot point 2 - 3 on the warranty book.

Just to note, even tho if any engine defect may not relate to what you did, Toyota will find a way to FCK u up and blame it on that and you lose.

Whether CAI, gapping a sparkplug etc its all best avoided

The guy was probably being frank about it all, just to make sure your on the safe side.

I wouldnt risk the warranty especially if you happen to pay extended etc, just to hear a nicer noise

Edited by AcoustiK

FOUND NEW PROBLEM:

i wanna try what will happen when i mod my air intake with custom made pipe and HKS stuff on. All item ordered/arrived, and then found something... there are 3 sensors leading into the air box? we pulled out 1, and there is a "click", which sounds like a clip or glue thing broke? then we start to worry bout warranty shxt stuff. So we quickly stop touching anything else.

Who in this forum had faced this kind of problem?

I called Lane toyota, person called AL, not sure if he is a farkin noob or wat, but he told me that we cant touch ANYTHING on the engine, this is void the engine warranty?

What does it mean any anything? Does it mean EVERYTHING relates to engine?

Then what? i remember someone in this forum talks about K&N intake for aurion, so changing that will void warranty then...?

I know a lot of ppl get CAI for corrolla here, is your car engine warranty void? IF no, then why cant we mod aurion's?

I'm pretty sure that with any new car any part you modify or touch is void of warranty, eg. if you change you're lights to HID, the warranty for you're lights are void, if you change you're wheels, the warranty for your shocks, suspension, maybe even you're brakes are void. If you touch you're electrics, installing new sound system etc... you're whole electrics warranty is void. etc etc you get the picture.

So yes... if you modify you're engine, you're engine warranty is void.

So the best thing you can do if you make mods to you're car, is to get a warranty from the mechanic on that part of you're car.

The only problem is that if you're engine stuffs up, you have to prove that it was the modification that stuffed it up, which is near impossible in most cases.

Al knows what he's talking about man, he's been working at Lane Toyota for as long as i know, and i've been getting my cars serviced there almost since i could drive, if i've ever had a problem with something, he's gone above and beyond to help me out.

Have a chat to him, he's a great guy, i'm sure he'll help you out no probs.

So the best thing you can do if you make mods to you're car, is to get a warranty from the mechanic on that part of you're car.

The only problem is that if you're engine stuffs up, you have to prove that it was the modification that stuffed it up, which is near impossible in most cases.

Not even that, the warranty book says ONLY USE GENUINE AND APPROVED TOYOTA PARTS a warranty from a mechanic means nothing.

I dont think TOYOTA would approve using TRD CAI either!

Edited by AcoustiK

Not even that, the warranty book says ONLY USE GENUINE AND APPROVED TOYOTA PARTS a warranty from a mechanic means nothing.

I dont think TOYOTA would approve using TRD CAI either!

actually, there is no such thing as a TRD CAI for sale in aurion.. well, tats at least wat i heard from toyota..

Just to note, even tho if any engine defect may not relate to what you did, Toyota will find a way to FCK u up and blame it on that and you lose.

TOTALLY agree... well, i planned and got ready a lot of stuff for my aurion, they supposed to be put on/modded like 1 month ago, but there is a slight issue of warranty as there is sound on the centre pocket when there is vibration, and most important of all, there is sound with the steering wheel when turning(MOST of the time when parking)

I sent bak toyota for warranty, they first told me that it is driving shaft stuff, changed the parts, but still not fixed, so AL, told me to wait till NEXT january to check again... i m thinking, if suddenly something like steering wheel or suspension or any shxt just blow up/dead, if they gonna fck me, saying that it is my problem tat i waited soo long to fix it, i really gonna fck him up.

after talkin to my mechanic, who is a good frien of mine. I just pulled 1 line leading to the air box, so EVEN if i dont mod the engine, but it still blow up/dead some day, i think toyota will blame on me for touching the air box(althou just 1 of the tiny pipe i pulled out and put back).

SO! i will just get mods done, and start saving for turbo!! HA!

Edited by dannywss

We always knew it would void warrenty.. stright from the mouth of a Toyota Tech. Just change it back to the normal intake when taking the toyota in for service and they will never know.

So did you install a new intake system in your aurion?

Edited by Soloman

SO! i will just get mods done, and start saving for turbo!! HA!

turbo in an aurion??

man that would be scary!!!

make sure you dyno asap! =p

nice.....

Piggyback computer, custom fuel lines if not TRD aurion fuel lines, pump, probably even custop piping work i dont think there is room!, haha with the money all spent, ur better off getting a 2nd hand E46 M3 :)

• 4 years later...

Did a quick search and couldn’t seem to come up with anything other than it been referenced with a IS350 so has anybody had anything to do with INJEN "cold air intakes" as they now do one for the Camry 3.5 V6 suppose to make a 9HP gain. Doesn’t look to bad compared to the K&N & Fujita systems.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/INJEN-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-TOYOTA-CAMRY-3-5L-V6-2011-SP2033P-POLISHED-9HP-/320930319145?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab8f00b29

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, apologies for reviving an old topic but I am chasing some form of cold air intake system for my 07 model. I've looked at the k&n sri but it has been suggested that shortening the inlet may cause a loss of torque. This led me to go searching for a fujita kit overseas but after several unanswered emails and fujita website saying that cold air intakes were unavailable (wtf?), I found a dc sports kit advertised on ebay. Anyone had any experience with these? Also, anyone have any info on where I may get a fujita kit? Cheers.

From personal experience with the K&N (after about 200km of use) I can say that for me, there isnt a loss in torque. If anything, a minor loss in low end responsiveness which is quickly overcome once you get moving. Once its been run for a while I will get a comparison dyno run to see how different to power bands are. Deffinitely feels a lot more free flowing than with the standard airbox