gear jams

hey guys ive got a small prob...

when im in lift and get near 8000 rpms and change gears it always feels really still and wont go in smoothly.

has anyone had this problem?

also somtimes it clunks into gear even with clutch all the way in.

please let me know if youve had this problem and how to fix it.

( if there is a way to fix it)

im hoping its not like this always because it will drive me nuts.lol

doesnt help when ya trying to drag someone off.

This is a problem with most of us here. I've been having that problem since day1 and I've now got 15000km on the clock. I don;t think it will go away as some have suggested to wear it in. It feels like it totally locks up until the revs drops below lift zone.

I'm reluctant to drag some cars because of this problem. It really sh#ts me. I'm gonna tray changing the transmission oil to fully synthetic as some one here suggested and see how that goes.

This is a problem with the drivetrain. The easiest method i found to go around the problem is to rev till you blush the rev-limiter then shift. You will find that the shifter loosens up completely and you can land LIFT easy. When you get more comfortable with it as time goes on you can shift quicker and harder and trust me, you will land LIFT at around 6200-6400rpm and get the wheels chirping hard!!

As to actual fixes, Castrols Syntrax 75W90 Synthetic gearbox oil and Nulon G70 transmission additive did not fix it. Both can be purchased from Auto1 or Supercheap autos. I HIGHLY recommend changing the oil to synthetic and getting NULON's G70 transmission additive for greater protection and smoother shifting pre-lift. The new gear cable did nothing. Other guys here are saying a complete clutch and flywheel change solves the problem and it sounds convincing. But i will have to wait till my clutch is about to give way before i do that.

Zee

Edited by ZEEROLLA

If you are experiancing this issue PLEASE!!!! talk to your dealer. As I am in talks currently with Toyota in regards to this issue. We need to make them aware that this is a broad issue and not just at high RPM either......it happens at 2000-3000 RPM!

So please send something in writting to your local service manager and let them know about it and ask for some assistance in resloving this issue.

Agree with all points here.... I'm beyond 20K now and still have this problem, and it sh%ts me. And like Danthuyer, 1 to 2 occasionally and 2 to 3 more regularly at lower RPM 'bounces' on the gears and takes a while to go in with the clutch fully depressed...

I have raised my concerns on many occasions with Tory Toyota and the last time we were in contact, they offered a regional field technician to meet me and have a look at the car but couldn't make the appointment. I will raise the issue again with Wollongong Toyota and would like them to arrange the same. But this is a known problem with the 6 speed box. The celica has the same problem (@ high revs), it was mentioned in a Wheels magazine way back in 1999/2000 when the Celica was just released that the 6 speed was "arthritically slow" to use on the track but pleasant on the road.

But look on the bright side guys, the japs and Yanks got it sorted, i am sure we can too.

We need to make them aware that this is a broad issue and not just at high RPM either......it happens at 2000-3000 RPM!

I drove a stivo only last week that had all the recall parts and so on, i went to shift from 2-3 and it just got stuck it was a very uncomfortable feeling and by the time i got it in gear the fun was over cause I had slowed down so it was back to 2nd

Have had the new Shift cable done, put in the Redline Trasmission fluid (thanx Danthuyer) and put in the TRD clutch with a TOMS flywheel and all my gearbox issues have gone. It is silky smooth with no sticking or no not going into gear.

Before I was getting constant sticking and refusal to go into gear and a lot of grinding even going into reverse of a morning to back out of my garage.

Looking at the old clutch, the pressure plate was pretty much cactus after only 26,000km and most of it was pretty easy driving. This all is only enforcing my belief that the standard clutch has some real issues.

The gearbox now does really feel like one out of a German car... solid, smooth and direct.

I have this problem as well but to tell you the truth I am so over going and complaining to Toyota about all the issues that this car has that I will just put up with it for now. It seems like my car has spent more time with Brighton Toyota than it has with me :(

I feel you Netz

I'm going through the same problem. I have other issues with the car but I can't be botherred telling them as I don;t have any faith in them anymore. There is no point in telling them when they can't fix it anyway. I'm getting to the point where I wanna give it all up and slamming it into a wall. :blink: :o :lol:

why do half of the sportivo guys on here dont have the problem and the other half do have this problem?

mama always said tmc south africa was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get

151.jpg

Edited by kcorro

If we are not getting anywhere with Toyota, how about organising a group buy for TRD Clutch/Pressure Plate and if anyone wants the Flywheel we can also do that. I am sure Bruce can do us a good deal. Just go to the buy/sell section and post youre interested.

I was thinking by the time Toyota acts on my car the clutch would be due for replacement anyway. And who knows when that may be, maybe when we have clocked 100,000kms and are ready to sell the car?

We should keep trying though and hope they respond. I suggest lodge your complaint straight to TMCA, we will get a quicker response without having to go through the crap some dealerships make us go through.

Here is the email address i used for my complaints before.

jenny.stewart@toyota.com.au

Jenny Stewart

Customer Relations Centre Manager

Customer Relations Department

Customer First Development Division

Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited

guys - dont loose faith. just because you dont hear anything back from the service manager (because he/she is rude and or ignorant) doesnt mean that TMCA dont get the complaint!!!!

The more people that report the fault the more chances we have of the issue actualy receiveing some attention ;)

please guys for the wellbeing of our cars and our pride/ego COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN!!!!!!!

thanks guys i feel better knowing im not the only one with this issue.

why wouldnt toyota dealer just replace the clutch and flywheel for us and fix the problem?

im gonna contact my dealer and let them know how to fix it if they dont ill tell em that im not the only one with the problem and no one has had toyota fix the issue yet.

then ill also tell them that if somthing isnt fixed on it FOR ALL US STIVO DRIVERS that we will approach today/tonight or a current affair and let them deal with the public.lol

**** like that usually gets a response.

how much is new clutch and flywheel worth?

hey guys i too, use to get this problem, after 10k's problem seem to go away dont know how, and i drive my car hard nearly all the time.

maybe my clutch or sumthing is work out :blink:

done round 13k - and have not done my service yet aswell..

Edited by iNdCeNt

I took the Stivo to the track today and i can say the shifting improved to a level when you are hammering the thing. I think its the fluids heating up lubricating the parts better. But i still crunched 3rd a few times but down the main straight was 99% smooth shifting at 8200rpm 2nd to 4th gear. Couldn't hear through the helmet whether i hit limiter or not but don't think so.

I also received a short email reply from TMCA today, hope to hear something soon:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. ***

Thank you for your email which we have passed to the Technical

Operations

Manager of the N.S.W. Regional Office and also to the Technical Group

in

Melbourne. We will come back to you once they have investigated the

issues

raised in your email.

Regards,

Jenny Stewart

Customer Relations Centre Manager

Customer First Development Division

Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited

Email: jenny.stewart@toyota.com.au

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on guys, lodge your complaints forward B)

Zee

It's definetly something everyone on here has experienced. When driven hard, our cars become well, a bit of hit n miss at times, if you hit it's "wohooooo" if you miss its usually a loud crunch followed by a few f words. I personally think the clutch at 8000rpm turns crappy and it makes it hard to engage gear.

Hi guys. I have never experienced the gear crunch. on two occassions it got stuck in 1st and refused to come out of gear. I was trying to shift to 2nd in lift. but it hasn't done it since. I almost always land in lift while shifting now (my poor clutch) and it shifts quite smoothly now. Hmmm. I wonder what the problem could be. Just for reference, i don't get the gear rattle.

How many people who have the gear rattle also have the gear jam problem? maybe it's related.