Noise from rear suspension

just need some advice from ppl

ive read the covered topics section about noise coming from the suspension but didnt find any help

my stock sportivo is making 'clung clung' noises from the back when i drive over small bumps slowly.

just wondering if it happens to any1 else here.

thinking of taking to toyota cuz it is still under warranty but thought i might here from ppl here first

thanks for any help!!

is it also making the noise when you start it up in the morning. i had a similar issue last week. the guy at the exhaust shop took off the stain shield on the resonator and the startup noise went away. The shield has taken a few knocks and i think the dents and the fact that it's loose caused it to tap against the resonator when cold. the noise went away when at operating temp.

I've still got another clunking noise when driving over certain bumps and only when the car is turning left - that might be suspension related.

is it also making the noise when you start it up in the morning. i had a similar issue last week. the guy at the exhaust shop took off the stain shield on the resonator and the startup noise went away. The shield has taken a few knocks and i think the dents and the fact that it's loose caused it to tap against the resonator when cold. the noise went away when at operating temp.

I've still got another clunking noise when driving over certain bumps and only when the car is turning left - that might be suspension related.

it only makes the noise when going over bumps

but i realised that i was suppose to change the rear stabiliser bar

becuz the noise started happening when i first got it in early 2006

just remembered last night that i had to change the part

but toyota needed to bring it in from japan so thats why i have not changed it yet

just realised until it started happening again

and also i get whistling noises from the front does that happen to you as well?

onli when driving at 70km or up.

it only makes the noise when going over bumps

but i realised that i was suppose to change the rear stabiliser bar

becuz the noise started happening when i first got it in early 2006

just remembered last night that i had to change the part

but toyota needed to bring it in from japan so thats why i have not changed it yet

just realised until it started happening again

and also i get whistling noises from the front does that happen to you as well?

onli when driving at 70km or up.

It sounds like the rear sway bar is a little loose. Is it a very metallic (metal on metal) sounding clang clang kind of sound, rather than a knocking?

The sway bar is located within the Torsion Beam (rear axle) between the two rear wheels. If this is the source of the sound I'm a little mystified why toyota would need to replace it, I doubt the stock one would snap too? It just needs to be tightened.

On either side you will see two bolts that go from top to bottom which hold the sway bar into the Torsion Beam. Using two wrenches, hold the nut at the top with one and tighten the bolt at the bottom with the other. Try use some leverage. If you have a torque wrench, set it so 198nm. The sound should then go away. Alternatively, if you cant do it yourself, just ask Toyota to do it, takes them all of 1min.

Cheers

It sounds like the rear sway bar is a little loose. Is it a very metallic (metal on metal) sounding clang clang kind of sound, rather than a knocking?

The sway bar is located within the Torsion Beam (rear axle) between the two rear wheels. If this is the source of the sound I'm a little mystified why toyota would need to replace it, I doubt the stock one would snap too? It just needs to be tightened.

On either side you will see two bolts that go from top to bottom which hold the sway bar into the Torsion Beam. Using two wrenches, hold the nut at the top with one and tighten the bolt at the bottom with the other. Try use some leverage. If you have a torque wrench, set it so 198nm. The sound should then go away. Alternatively, if you cant do it yourself, just ask Toyota to do it, takes them all of 1min.

Cheers

so i can fix it up myself

maybe ill will have a look at it later

thanks for the help IZZ-FE