Oils aint Oils?

Mr Kluger

Whats a good oil to use for zippy acceleration?

i have always used Shell Helix 15w50 (synthetic) normally costs $25-30 /5L ... i normally change it every 5,000 - 7,500KM been using it mainly because it is a nice medium priced oil...

but i want to try the 5w30 synthetic oil... any one used this before?

'Shell' 5w30 synthetic usually sells for bout $40 / 5L

and i have seen 'Shell' 5w50 synthetic selling for around $70 / 5L

any reccomendations...

15W seems abit to high dont you think? Doesnt your car manual have the recommendations.... personally I use Penritte Semi-Synthetic (cheaper and car has oil seeping so synthetic might make them worse) 5W-?? in winter and 10W-?? in summer. My mechanic puts 25W in no matter what which annoys me (and i have to go to him for warranty)... in winter you want thinner oil on start up so it goes throughout the engine quicker, the thinner the oil the better, 25W is thick as and 15W is also quite thick for winter at least.

Edited by aussie_camry

15W seems abit to high dont you think? Doesnt your car manual have the recommendations.... personally I use Penritte Semi-Synthetic (cheaper and car has oil seeping so synthetic might make them worse) 5W-?? in winter and 10W-?? in summer. My mechanic puts 25W in no matter what which annoys me (and i have to go to him for warranty)... in winter you want thinner oil on start up so it goes throughout the engine quicker, the thinner the oil the better, 25W is thick as and 15W is also quite thick for winter at least.

umm 5w30 winter and 10w40 summer... okidoki... ive been running it on 15w50 for 5 years but its usually garaged so it doesnt get too cold at night... but since moving to country victoria it does kinda get colder than sydney ... will make amends... thanks for the info dude :)

Yeah dont get me wrong though, 15W isnt going to kill your engine... it is rated for -10 to 30 degrees (5W is rated for negative temps!). BUT from everyone I know who is knowledgable and when you think about it common sense in a way... you want as thin as possible because the thinner it is, the quicker it gets throughout the engine. And given the advances in oil, once the vehicle is up to operating temperature there is no negative effect of having a thinner oil at start up as they are usually 5W-30 compared to say 15W-40... not a massive difference. And on top of this your car manual should have the car rated for these other viscosities.

Here is a LONG article which I also found useful when I was deciding on what oil and intervals to change etc:

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Edited by aussie_camry

Yeah dont get me wrong though, 15W isnt going to kill your engine... it is rated for -10 to 30 degrees (5W is rated for negative temps!). BUT from everyone I know who is knowledgable and when you think about it common sense in a way... you want as thin as possible because the thinner it is, the quicker it gets throughout the engine. And given the advances in oil, once the vehicle is up to operating temperature there is no negative effect of having a thinner oil at start up as they are usually 5W-30 compared to say 15W-40... not a massive difference. And on top of this your car manual should have the car rated for these other viscosities.

Here is a LONG article which I also found useful when I was deciding on what oil and intervals to change etc:

Tks 'aussie_camry' ! Very good knowledge sharing~ I think i may go for thinner start (now go with 15W-40)...recently looking for Edge 5W-30, perhaps i can get my 99'Camry service in coming week. I will share my afer-use feedback if it has some differences :yahoo: .

By the way, the article also talked about the DIY magnet stick on oil filter, good try~ Anyone did it too??

Edited by jbjb

• 2 weeks later...

Tks 'aussie_camry' ! Very good knowledge sharing~ I think i may go for thinner start (now go with 15W-40)...recently looking for Edge 5W-30, perhaps i can get my 99'Camry service in coming week. I will share my afer-use feedback if it has some differences :yahoo: .

By the way, the article also talked about the DIY magnet stick on oil filter, good try~ Anyone did it too??

Last Sat. Supercheap had a hot sale for 20% off, i quickly grap Edge 5-30W as it was only one left on the shelf...huh...

then rushed to my "private mechanic" (a mate of mine) to get oil change, oil and fuel filters change. The result is good,

more smooth accelerator in mid-high rev, i believe the oil vicosity is lower than my ex-oil-15W-40,

the less flow resistance happening in the engine. Certainly, the fuel could save a bit~

By the way, Camry Gen 4's or All Toyota's Fuel filter is not ezy to replace...i can see my mate wiping sweat so hard!!

Edited by jbjb