Drag racing

as usual bad information is going around. they call it drag racing but this has not been proved yet. i have also read in a newspaper there was a honda prelude.

side by side does not mean drag racing and the skyline roof had to be cut open so it looks extra bad in that picture.

they talk about the history (road used for racing) but they leave out the present (wet weather).

i feel sorry for the families and friends.

I was not saying that they were drag racing when i said "drag" this was being used for lack of a better term, I know there is lots of times where I got out with others for a drive and we dont drag well normally we go till we are at the speed limit from a set of red lights 0-80km/h so its nothing drastic especially in my 1zze :ph34r: but nothing more. I also feel sorry for the family of the people who lost there loved one in the accident but seems like its a lost cause to try to stop these things from happening :(

Edited by Northy

state government is now pushing for mandatory defence driving course for learner drivers. it always seems to take death before positive change is made on the roads. i cannot see how finishing a defence driving course will stop illegal drag racing on the roads. they are different things.

you are right its not really gonna help. Even if there were open drag days that cost nothing its not really gonna help people that drag on the street are after the rush of doing somthing illegal and you cant really replicate that anywhere?

Defensive driving courses can also work against... They teach you the limitations of your car and your skills and people can ofter come out feeling more cocky and indestructable as a result thinking that doing the cause instantly makes then a better driver, when in fact it is a mental process that unfortunately some people only learn the hard way... I too feel very sorry for the family and friends of those killed and injured.

It depends on the driving course. A good driving course would improve the drivers mindset and habbits rather than driving skill. Driving skill is a by-product of the two things mentioned.

I just hope the authorities tackle the problem at hand rather than just turning it into a vehicle for political gain (excuse the pun) :P

I honestly think 50speed limits are useless. And i'm not saying it just because i like to drive fast. Solving a problem involves more than just outlawing the action that causes the problem but to tackle the root of the problem. I think better education of young drives is the right direction.

Look at smoking for instance, there are far much less young smokers in the last couple of years than there was 10years ago. I am sure part of it has to do with educating the public about its effects. The more you restrict people, the more people will rebel. Dropping the speed limits or putting more speed cameras doesn't solve the problems. It will give people more motivation to find places to drive fast and dangerous. It's a human trait to break free of barriers and regain perceived "freedom" and in this case it will be to drive fast for that adrenelin rush. It's a difficult issue!

With that said, who's coming on the next sydney cruise? :lol:

My view would be simply to make licencing more stringent and difficult.

Vehicles ownership continues to grow, so too does traffic density yet, the tests have never radically changed.

Quite simply, driving a few suburban blocks at 50km/h and doing a parking test is not in my view a real world indication as to how a driver will behave or react in the real world.

I would include things such as emergency braking test and evasive manouvering, this will not give people a false sense of self confidence, but teach them how to control their vehicle in a life threatening situation.

I agree. pilots go through such a rigourous program to get their licences. Even train drivers have rigourous training programs and they don't even steer the damn thing. yet i was able to get my licence after six months being taught by my dad and some driving instructor who couldn't speak english properly. then after only 1year of driving by myself i set my sights on learning manual by myself in my very own manual car :lol: Thank got i'm a good driver.

I'm not saying to make it almost unobtainable or too expensive to go for, but i think the three year P's with logbooks had good intentions but doesn't tackle the problem. Some classes to teach people skid dynamics of cars, tyres, braking distances at varies distance may make people think twice about over speeding.

This is the model they use in South Australia. The log book system similar to pilots, where people gradually learn each skills (around 28 by memory ranging from gear changes and cornering to parking skills and heavy traffic to higher speed driving (80) on open country and hilly roads and even dirt roads in country areas) by repetition with a trained instructor and gradually pass their way to a license, no test needed, though the final lesson is a 45 min drive around similar to the test where the instructor says nothing but directions and perhaps a observer to monitor the instuctors credability.

You can see an improverment in the skills of the drivers over the 10 years it has been in place but like I said previously, they also seem to be more confident (not such a bad thing in heavy traffic as it allows greater traffic flow when people think) and as such at times more cocky (not so good because they become reckless)...

look ive gotta say driver courses are a good idea but rev heads are rev heads they will be so confident that they think they own the road.

i was a hoon when i was younger but now i know my limitations.

(loosing my licence a few times helped to lol)

but seriously the problem is the inexperienced driver in powerful car.

when they learn to drive its not in nissan skylines wrxs or V8s.

so how do they know the diff?

ive lost a few friends in car accidents and its hard to say but they all had cars they had never driven prior to getting there P plates.

i think all P platers now should be limited to what they drive no V8s NO turbos.

( which will make our insurance premiums way cheaper)

or passenger restrictions.

if a driver wants to drag with no experience let him/her thats there life to make the choice.

but no passengers should have to be a part of it.

anyway i sound like an old man talking like this i was shocking in my P PLATE years but i never did anything with anyone else in the car.

I RULE MY LIFE NO ONE ELSES.

My heart goes out to the family of the people who died the other day.

And anyone else who has lost friends/family to car accidents.

look ive gotta say driver courses are a good idea but rev heads are rev heads they will be so confident that they think they own the road.

i was a hoon when i was younger but now i know my limitations.

(loosing my licence  a few times helped to lol)

but seriously the problem is the inexperienced driver in powerful car.

when they learn to drive its not in nissan skylines wrxs or V8s.

so how do they know the diff?

ive lost a few friends in car accidents and its hard to say but they all had cars they had never driven prior to getting there P plates.

i think all  P platers now should be limited to what they drive no V8s NO turbos.

( which will make our insurance premiums way cheaper)

or passenger restrictions.

if a driver wants to drag with no experience let him/her thats there life to make the choice.

but no passengers should have to be a part of it.

anyway i sound like an old man talking like this i was shocking in my P PLATE years but i never did anything with anyone else in the car.

I RULE MY LIFE NO ONE ELSES.

My heart goes out to the family of the people who died the other day.

And anyone else who has lost friends/family to car accidents.

Agree 100% with Eddy no matter what courses they follow or how well they were educated hoons will be hoons. Once again we can take cigarettes for an example no matter how many warnings or advertisements are put forward, there are people still smoking. All I can say is as a club we can do our bit by not encouraging illegal street raring or any sort of stupid behaviour with in the club members and so on. As Michael Jackson said “I’m starting with the man in the mirror”. Anyway thats my tcw

I have to agree with the last Post,

and i agree i sound like an old woman,

How many times have we been passed by a P plater and we were already doing the speed limit?

My understanding of the 'P' plate is that it refers to the driver being the holder of a PROVISIONAL licence not a proffesional licence as i beleive many would like to think. Should these inexperienced drivers be working as delivery drivers?

Driving fast is great fun, but, how many of these drivers are not skilled enough to recover a vehicle from a 2 or a 4 wheel skid? both are common when speed and harsh breaking are present. Obviously there are many other situations where only experience and training will assist but even if you look at the most basic like skidding... I dont remember being taught this from my $70 dollar an hour driving school.

I do beleive that training would be a huge help in curbing 'P' accidents, just to prevent basic acidents.

** heres where i climb in the soapbox **

And as mentioned in other postings what about power limitations? Anybody tried to get a Motorcycle licence lately? not only are there power restrictions but 2 driving courses as well, and of course NO PASSENGERS!

Is allowing a P driver to go out all night with his mates while they are on the p!ss safe.

Given he is the DESIGNATED DRIVER i accept he is sober. End of the night he is tired, has a car full of drunk mates who are egging him on and is sitting behind the wheel of a VN SS or maybe an older turboed jap. If you cant see that this screams of disaster look again because it is unfortunately commonly true.

Ever noticed when they report an accident on the news ( and show them peel a car of a tree/pole) and moan that it was P driver that they then list the car full of people she/he had.

This should not happen, people are being allowed to die because policy makers/civil libiterians are to afraid to do exactly what was done with motorcycles. School education, s#@t give me a break, most kids at school theses days dont give a s@#t already.

A licence should not be a given it should be a privelage.

I will now go a way for a while to dodge flying beer cans headed my way. <_<

i completely agree

did anyone see the thing they had on the news a few months back about curfews?

it sounds abit harsh but it saved lives and lots of em.

its really hard to make the decision on what should or shouldnt be ok for P platers but at the end of the day if it saves lives then it should be enforced.

id hate to be a P plater now but ive seen and know to many people who have died from inexperience.

if it meant people would get life out of it then it should be done.