New Corolla 6 speed trans

I really have to question the need for the new 6 speed trans put in the new lines of corolla.

The first 5 gears have the same ratios as the previous 5 speed and the 6th gear is just a slightly higher gear than 5th that in most cases would result in a drop of a couple of hundred rpm's. I would wonder why in fact they didn't just use the old sportivo trans or a new one that provides evenly distributed ratios across the lower gears rather than simply just sticking another overdrive gear on the end.

the gear ratios are adapted to suit the engine charactertics. Without know the gear ratios that you're talking about, I really can't comment too much but perhaps the 6th gear is to put the engine in it's torque band for highway driving.

Edited by qkslvr

The old 5 speed has nice close ratios for driving around town but makes the engine pull 3000rpm at 100km/h in 5th which isn't exactly relaxed or economical cruising on a highway.

I've always wanted a sixth overdriven gear for use on freeways that would drop rpms to 2500 or less at 100km/h, I guess many others thought the same and Toyota delivered what the customers wanted + because the new car is heavier they've had to make many such changes to reduce the fuel consumption.

The Sportivo's ratios make the engine pull 3300rpm in sixth, so they would not have been able to use these same ratios.

Is it still a c series gearbox in the new one?

The old 5 speed has nice close ratios for driving around town but makes the engine pull 3000rpm at 100km/h in 5th which isn't exactly relaxed or economical cruising on a highway.

I've always wanted a sixth overdriven gear for use on freeways that would drop rpms to 2500 or less at 100km/h, I guess many others thought the same and Toyota delivered what the customers wanted + because the new car is heavier they've had to make many such changes to reduce the fuel consumption.

The Sportivo's ratios make the engine pull 3300rpm in sixth, so they would not have been able to use these same ratios.

Is it still a c series gearbox in the new one?

Guys, speaking from eperience, the new 6 speed is acceptable. I would not be bold enough to say the 6th gear is absolutely useless, but once you are doing highway speeds you can see the benefit of it. And yes agree, it only lowers rpm a few hundred, but it makes the cruise much more relaxing. I can drive on the Hume Hwy / M5 all the way from Campbelltown to the airport in 6th, with the exception of accelerating once past the toll booths.

the gear ratios are adapted to suit the engine charactertics. Without know the gear ratios that you're talking about, I really can't comment too much but perhaps the 6th gear is to put the engine in it's torque band for highway driving.

According to my calculations (tyre/wheel size x final gear ratio x gear ratio) at 97km/h (roughly what it is actually doing when it says on the speedo) 6th gear does 2,664rpm and fifth 2,995rpm a difference of about 330rpm.

The gear ratios are as follows for reference:

1st: 3.166

2nd: 1.904

3rd: 1.310

4th: 0.969

5th: 0.815

6th: 0.725

In actual fact it could be said that theres 3 O/D gears in that case, what could be done was to either have a even higher 6th gear, perhaps in the 0.6 range or to keep the 0.725 gear, take out the 0.815 gear and have another gear between 2nd and 3rd, and make perhaps 2nd a bit steeper.