Fuel consumption

TOYARIS

Hi Toyaris. Here are some details on our experience which may be helpful.

The Car

---------

Model: Toyota Yaris yrs 2005 (Australian version). 3 door hatch.

Engine size: 1.5 litres

Transmission: 5 speed manual.

Weight: 1,020kg

Odometer at purchase: 32,123km. Oct2007.

Odometer now: 35,940km. Jan2008.

Distance travelled: 3,817km.

Tyre pressure: 38 psi all round (pounds per square inch).

Trip types: mostly 20km trips, suburban driving in 60 or 80 zones. 600km of the 3,817km was country trips with 3 adults (190kg all up including backpacks).

The Fuel

----------

Fuel used: 261 litres (cost Aus $332 all up)

Fuel type: standard unleaded, mostly from Shell Coles Express in Oakleigh, Melbourne.

Overall consumption: 6.85 litres/100km. Or 41 mpg (miles per gallon).

Driver habits: I share my car with two other people and they do not thrash it (well, I hope not).

Notes: Very pleased with the fuel consumption, particularly since manufacturer claims 6.1 litres/100km around town and I have never heard of anyone matching manufacturer's rates. This car's fuel cost on petrol is LESS than my last car on LPG gas (a 2.6 litre automatic Mitsubishi Magna weighing 1,380kg).

Tips: Keep tyre pressure a little higher than the owner's manual suggests, eg. 38psi. On long flat or gentle downward slopes put the car in neutral. It is so good aerodynamically that it will easily coast at 80kmh or whatever for a kilometre or so. The engine will be turning at only 750rpm, not the usual 1,800 or 2,500rpm. Keep the car clear of junk, so you don't add to the weight. Have fun.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys!

I've just bought a new Yaris sedan YRS. Just curious what's your usual consumption.

I refueled it only twice. First time I got 8.3 per 100 km, last time 9.2/100. Looks a bit much though I don't accelerate much (usually don't go higher than 2000-2500 rpm). But 95% of time I drive in city - not on highways. I use normal unleaded petrol (Coles Express).

Anyway it'll be interesting to know your figures. :rolleyes:

I have a YRS sedan '06 manual. usually reach at least 600km before the last bar on the fuel gauge blinks. approx 6.5li/100km

Hi guys!

I've just bought a new Yaris sedan YRS. Just curious what's your usual consumption.

I refueled it only twice. First time I got 8.3 per 100 km, last time 9.2/100. Looks a bit much though I don't accelerate much (usually don't go higher than 2000-2500 rpm). But 95% of time I drive in city - not on highways. I use normal unleaded petrol (Coles Express).

I used at 98octane petrol. Its more economical and helps clean your engine aswell rather than unleaded. I have a YRS sedan '06 manual. usually reach at least 600km before the last bar on the fuel gauge blinks. approx 6.5li/100km

• 1 month later...

I bought a Yaris YRS 1.l Manual last November. (2690 km so far)

Driving the car mostly in the city to work or to the beach without being exposed to any traffic jams.

My last results:

389km - 38,4l (Shell Coles Express)

395km - 38,9l (BP Unleaded)

Not sure why the car consumes so much fuel. I am driving reseanable, mostly between 40-60 km/h. No highways.

I had the car checked by Sydney City Toyota for a couple of hours. they said it consumed just as much as the other Yaris they had available. Fuel filter was okay.

The manufacturer states 6.8l / 100km fuel consumption.

Why is my car's fuel consumption so high. It's a manual. any idea?

What does your YRS Manual consume?

cheers,

Mat

I bought a Yaris YRS 1.l Manual last November. (2690 km so far)

Driving the car mostly in the city to work or to the beach without being exposed to any traffic jams.

My last results:

389km - 38,4l (Shell Coles Express)

395km - 38,9l (BP Unleaded)

Not sure why the car consumes so much fuel. I am driving reseanable, mostly between 40-60 km/h. No highways.

I had the car checked by Sydney City Toyota for a couple of hours. they said it consumed just as much as the other Yaris they had available. Fuel filter was okay.

The manufacturer states 6.8l / 100km fuel consumption.

Why is my car's fuel consumption so high. It's a manual. any idea?

What does your YRS Manual consume?

cheers,

Mat

do you fill up when the last bar blinks?? cause if that happn you still can do another 100km. get yourself a ScangaugeII (www.scangauge.com that thing is a gizmo that you need).

at the moment, im using 8.8L/100km. that's normal driving. but seriously 6.8L/100km, is possible but you have to drive really really slow!

Edited by leasaunce

That's an amzing result. My YRSManual consumes much more 9-10l although driving like a nannie and there's mostly only 1 person inside. Strange. any idea?

Hi Toyaris. Here are some details on our experience which may be helpful.

The Car

---------

Model: Toyota Yaris yrs 2005 (Australian version). 3 door hatch.

Engine size: 1.5 litres

Transmission: 5 speed manual.

Weight: 1,020kg

Odometer at purchase: 32,123km. Oct2007.

Odometer now: 35,940km. Jan2008.

Distance travelled: 3,817km.

Tyre pressure: 38 psi all round (pounds per square inch).

Trip types: mostly 20km trips, suburban driving in 60 or 80 zones. 600km of the 3,817km was country trips with 3 adults (190kg all up including backpacks).

The Fuel

----------

Fuel used: 261 litres (cost Aus $332 all up)

Fuel type: standard unleaded, mostly from Shell Coles Express in Oakleigh, Melbourne.

Overall consumption: 6.85 litres/100km. Or 41 mpg (miles per gallon).

Driver habits: I share my car with two other people and they do not thrash it (well, I hope not).

Notes: Very pleased with the fuel consumption, particularly since manufacturer claims 6.1 litres/100km around town and I have never heard of anyone matching manufacturer's rates. This car's fuel cost on petrol is LESS than my last car on LPG gas (a 2.6 litre automatic Mitsubishi Magna weighing 1,380kg).

Tips: Keep tyre pressure a little higher than the owner's manual suggests, eg. 38psi. On long flat or gentle downward slopes put the car in neutral. It is so good aerodynamically that it will easily coast at 80kmh or whatever for a kilometre or so. The engine will be turning at only 750rpm, not the usual 1,800 or 2,500rpm. Keep the car clear of junk, so you don't add to the weight. Have fun.

• 2 months later...
Hi guys!

I've just bought a new Yaris sedan YRS. . Just curious what's your usual consumption.

Three months ago we purchased a second hand 2006 Yarris YRS 17000km. 1.5, auto, three door. We are VERY unimpressed with the fuel consumption and have been to Toyota with our figures and though they have been very helpful - spent alot of time, listerned and put the computer on the car they are scratching their heads too.

I (my car 90% of the time) drive sensibly I think, glide into lights take off smoothly etc. 50% of the time it is only me in the car and other 50% my small 15 year old daughter, no junk in the boot - like I could fit any! and Having a two door means back seat is kept free as too hard to get things in and out.

***Does anyone else find that the car seems to be getting away on them when they have the air con on??? I am constantly pulling it back to the speed limit, it is far easier and more enjoyable to drive with the air con off........

Toyota tech over East said acceptable figures for round town driving, were somewhere in the low 7 to 10l per 100 km. I can not believe that they say 10 is acceptable, surely the main reason people buy this car is low fuel consumption? Perhaps its a disclaimer for lead feet and aircon????

Our figures are per 100 km around town but does inculude Freeway - 100km and Highway 70 km driving.

10.77 - with air con

8.6 - no air con

9.15 - no air con

8.57 - no air con

10.30 - no air con This was mainly freeway and highway with 1 or tow people in the car -which makes even less sense!

Appreciate if anyone can shead any light on this, these figures make me wish I had bought a gas gobbling Commodore or Falcon.... our old 1993 Ef Falcon returns only slightly higher figures than these.

Shaz Perth

I've read the 'Wheels' mag and their real life figure is about 8.6L/100km combined...

So in order for the Yaris to achieve the 6.8L/100km, I imagine that car would be sitting at 80km/hr for the car to rev about 2100rpm (sweet spot)... and normal city driving etc...

I've managed to bring the fuel consumption down to about 7.1-8.7L/100km (without aircon and with aircon on respectively), but I do bucket loads of highway driving sitting about 100km/hr +- 10% speed... 120km return trip weekdays...

Fuel wise, I always use Shell V Power (98 Ron stuff) coz it gives me the most mileage due to the distance I travel to and from work, E10 while cheaper uses more fuel than the normal unleaded blend, I've tried 2 full tanks of it and didnt like having to refuel before Tuesday!!!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I bought a Yaris 1.3 YR few months back. It was bought because my girlfriend is learning how to drive and we decided its best to to go for a little city car. I haven't had any complaints when it comes to the fuel econmy. I'm still amazed at how good it is. Both my cars, a 05 Corolla Sportivo & the Yaris are run on BP Ultimate.

I use the Yaris to drive to work and back the whole week, and in the weekend my girlfriend learns to drive in it. So far from on a full tank of petrol the best I've done is just over 600KM and it regularly returns 500km on a full tank. Remember this included a learner driver over revving it and all those sorts of things.

I suggest if you Yaris is not being as fuel efficient as you like, try running it on Ultimate for a month and see what happens.

• 2 years later...

I have got a Yaris Manual sedan 1.5 2010 Model I have done just 3900 ks have just done a trip and the last petrol I worked out I did 1846.7 Ks and I used 112.7 Litres I had a FULL boot and full back seats and there were 2 adults in the car, the Air Con on was on the whole time. This was a mix of city and highway driving.

Worked out at 46.2871 Mile per Gallon or ---6.1028 Litre per 100 Ks __see below

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ENTER Fuel Used:

Imperial (UK) Equivalents

46.2871 miles per gallon AND Distance Traveled: 2.1604 gallons per 100 miles 0.0216 gallons per mile OR Fuel Consumption:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SI (Metric) Equivalents

16.3860 kilometers per litre 6.1028 litres per 100 kilometers 0.0610 litres per kilometer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed Equivalents

10.1818 miles per litre 74.4919 kilometers per gallon 0.0982 litres per mile 0.0134 gallons per kilometer

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a trip to Sydney--also some running around in traffic there--this time I got 49.3222 MPG or in other words used 5.7272 Liters per 100 Ks.

I never used the A/c on the way down--did on the way back--had a full load in boot and back seat with luggage but just me in the car