Aurion Gearing

jonbays

Just in case someone is interested in the moonshot gearing we have.

Aurion 6 speed Auto Speeds in gears

Kmh/1000rpm

Speeds in gears 1000-4000-6200-650RPM

Kmh/1000 2,000 3,000 4,000 4,600 6,200 6,500

First 10.4 21 31 42 48 64 68

Second 18.0 36 54 72 83 112 117

Third 24.1 48 72 96 111 149 157

Fourth 34.2 68 103 137 157 212 222

Fifth 47.9 96 144 192 220 297 311

Sixth 56.2 112 169 225 259 348 365

RPM at 110Kmh Sixth 1957

Just in case someone is interested in the moonshot gearing we have.

Aurion 6 speed Auto Speeds in gears

Kmh/1000rpm

Speeds in gears 1000-4000-6200-650RPM

Kmh/1000 2,000 3,000 4,000 4,600 6,200 6,500

First 10.4 21 31 42 48 64 68

Second 18.0 36 54 72 83 112 117

Third 24.1 48 72 96 111 149 157

Fourth 34.2 68 103 137 157 212 222

Fifth 47.9 96 144 192 220 297 311

Sixth 56.2 112 169 225 259 348 365

RPM at 110Kmh Sixth 1957

jonbays,

Thats interesting, I notice the speedo goes up to 260km. Whats your experience getting to these speeds.

On a race track I mean of course ;-)

Well the FWD layout isn't liked much by a lot of car enthusiats as there ia a healthy debate on what it can and can't deliver in handling but one thing I find and few will dispute is that it very stable in a straight line at high speed.

Unfortunately this side of Bathurst there isn't a track with enough of a main straight to really find out how far it will go.

I can say that I have seen 230kmh odd on the speedo (which is typically as optimistic as the fuel gauage is pessimistic just to nanny the non drivers) and that was in manual fourth still as I dont use drive on the track for fairly obvoius reasons.

My guess is the Aurion would not be embarrased by any car on any unlimited motorway anywhere in the world though.

The gearing isn't set up for top speed though. The first four are fine but the jump from fourth to fifth is a bit big. Sure it takes you from 6500redline to 4600 max torque at 225kmh but you need more revs and power at this speed to overcome the aero drag and it could do much better with a 5th designed to run to 260kmh at 6200 rather then the hopeful 297kmh at 6200rpm.

Stock it gets to 220 fast enough and my guess is in fith it will struggle on to about 250kmh. With the right gearing and attention to detailed areodynamic triiming of spoliers and underbody i reckon stock engine would see 260kmh on salt flat.

Not bad at all really anyway.

I am not sure if there is a speed limiter but if there is i haven't found it but i expect it will be set to the standard tyres rating V or 240kmh.

Just wondering, IF there is a speed limiter, is it on 180kmph or more? I did 160kmph on freeway but slowed down coz start feeling worried bout cops... (i know, i m coward T_T)

Well freeway isn't the place to try it out but I can say i haven't found it yet so its over 220 real aor 230 indicted.

You can try it at Wakefield park wakefieldpark.com.au for $100 and see how you go. The Aurion won't get to top speed there but I am sure you will get over 180kmh.

For $45 you can take t for a drag race at ASID http://www.wsid.com.au/ won't get top speed here either.

For $275 you can go to eastern creek thats more fun and fastest track. http://www.eastern-creek-raceway.com/

All of these options are cheaper than the fines you will get for trying this on the road!

And a lot safer for all concerned.

I have got my aurion up too 210. and then ran out of road.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen elsewere people mention a speed limiter on the Aurion ( 180 Km I think ) so then the speed limiter is not present as "Soloman" says he got too 210.

I have got my aurion up too 210. and then ran out of road.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen elsewere people mention a speed limiter on the Aurion ( 180 Km I think ) so then the speed limiter is not present as "Soloman" says he got too 210.

I will bet that there is a speed limiter setting in the Aurion ECU but I can be certain for Presara's built in May 2007 it doesn't stop you redlining in fourth gear. Not that I am watching the speedo when doing this as I am about to brake hard and steady it up for the corner rapidly arriving but the speedo was reading around 230kmh, probably real speed closer to 200 due to speedo error as they all read fast.

I think the 180 kmh speed limiter is unlikely. Why 180? more sense to set it at 240 the tyres v rating limit.

yikes, u make me wanna book test run nowwww.... :yahoo:

Well it makes for a good day out and for a while you do get it all out of your system so you will be content driving like a grandpa.

The Aurion was a disappointment on the track though. it's just not happy to be pushed more than 8/10 ths before nannying stability control interferes and works well mind you but a bit too early for any sprited track driving. I couldn't really get the hang of the fine control of the drive by wire accelerator which noticeably lags behind your input and the manual gears are a joke again a big lag between actually changing and the car changing and although it hold to the cutout you can't change down untill it is going slower than you could pick up the next lower gear with a boot of full throttle.

Overall if you drive smoothly and fast its fine. try fast and flat out and it's accelerator and gears remote control feel and interfering stability control make it feel pretty average and make you look like an amateur learner. i had more fun punting my au wagon around the track. The Aurion was faster though and quite a bit. mostly the braking you feel very confident with. i was mostly just standing on the brakes too soon and by slowly leaving the braking later it got quite quick as long as you didn't try to cahnge gears or jump on the accelerator in the iddle of the corner as nothing happens till your out and then its all wrong. Oh and by the way there is no big back off oversteer available not matter how you try which was disappointing too i used to love that about the old minis

ive hit 220kmh fairly quick on nepean highway. took off from the lights and till 2 or 3 lights later i was hitting 220kmh. on my mates car which he owned a 2006 camry v6 sportivo we took it for a road trip and the limiter was on 235km/h so high chance that its the same on the aurion. 260kmh is definately possible on a straight for the aurion. but wheres the road to hit that speed? hehe

Some interesting info.

Just wondering, when the car is in Sport mode do the gears change themselves when you redline it or do u have to shift urself?

as i remember when taking off the line in sport mode, you need to change the gears yourself. otherwise it will redline.

Normally you look at the tacho and shift when the needle is near redline Just make sure you don't focus on it so closely that you block everything else out and crash :lol:

hahah true. no noise at redline to change gears. just gotta look and change at the right time.

Some interesting info.

Just wondering, when the car is in Sport mode do the gears change themselves when you redline it or do u have to shift urself?

Sports mode is not really sporty by the way but it locks the car into the highest gear you select so it will rev to the 6500rpm limiter and just stop there quite happily no beep beep to say change or anything. If you try and change down it will not change down unless you are going slow enough for it to change down "SAFELY" and will go beep beep if it thinks its too fast to change down. If you select sports mode it goes into fourth and hold that till 220kmh and the rev limit but it will use all the first four gears normally and change up normally into 4th. You can select 5th and 6th but its just like drive. You can select 3rd if going slower than 125kmh and it will use 1-2-3 only. you can select 2nd if going slower than 90kmh and it will use 1-2only redlining at 120kmh. you can select 1st if going below 45kmh and it will hold first to 70kmh redline.

Sports mode isn't that much fun at all really useless lock out of change downs no change up chimes that would be useful and not much different to drive if you drive it hard in drive anyway

I read the new TRD Aurion is supposed to be speed limited to 250kmh!

Thats proabably a hint that all are or the standard Aurion wont hit 250kmh with stock gearing which is likely enough.

find a way to remove the speed limiter and it would be easy to hit 250kmh.