Insurance prices! woo!

Ok so I recently bought an 05 corolla ascent hatch.

I searched for a while for insurance and I ended up settling with Real Car insurance as my premium was $858.. a far cry from the $1700-2000 i was being quoted from other various places.

Now that I'm starting to mod my car i gave them a call back to get a quote as to how much it will increase my premium for some mods.

With rims, tinting, spoiler and exhaust tip I would be looking at $888 which is not much of an increase at all. However, i'm also wanting to put a CAI in and unfortunately they don't cover any performance modifications at all. ******ers.

So I gave just car insurance a call... $1855 pa for stock car... $2001 for car with the mods inc. CAI.

So I'm at a bit of a wall.

Do I pay an extra $1200 to be able to mod my car AND have insurance?

or

Do I just mod my car anyway, keep the original airbox in the event of needing to make a claim? How hard would that be to do?

That, or if anyone knows any other cheap insurers that allow modifications. I've tried aami, suncorp, racq, etc all are way expensive.

Cheers for the advice.

if you run up the **** of someone and squash the front end it's probably going to be a bit difficult to remove the compacted CAI and put the airbox etc back in. Especially if the car is towed from the scene of the accident to the inspection yard.

Rollamods points out the issues with your plan wonderfully.

Is a CAI really worth $1200+what ever the CAI cost? The power it gives isn't worth that much money. Good tyres or suspension would be a better buy for even $1200.

I'm with RACQ and while quizzing them on mods I'm allowed they told me they would allow a 1zz to have a CAI. Could try them or your states equivilant.

Just reading through my insurance policy:

Your insurance does not pay for any claim where the vehicle has been modified from the manufacturer's specifications and/or fitted with non-standard accessories without our written consent

Do you think it would be possible for me to argue that i'm not really modifying it from the manufacturers spec's, i'm merely replacing the air box with a similiiar setup that provides cooler air for my engine, arguably increaseing the quality of my engine and my fuel economy, and that it's not a non-standard accessory?

Edited by vort

Rollamods points out the issues with your plan wonderfully.

Is a CAI really worth $1200+what ever the CAI cost? The power it gives isn't worth that much money. Good tyres or suspension would be a better buy for even $1200.

Bingo.

I've stated in other similar threads, Insurance companies are a business there to make money, and they will use every means possibile to avoid paying. If you have mods and they're not listed on your policy, they can and will choose not to pay you if something happens. Just not worth it, and a CAI that gives an extra 3-5kw isn't worth $350+$1200.

Under my policy (as i understood it, from memory anyway), as long as i tell AMII over the phone the modifications ive done, theyll include it on my insurance without increasing the cost of my insurance. just as long as it doesnt go over a certain amount ($5000 is my limit i think? for things like aftermarket stereo, altezza tail lights etc).

no idea if that includes mods to the engine, in which case i really havent done anything besides the cooling panel i bought from silverbullit and the k&n panel filter which is a direct replacement for the stock 1.

all this talk in these forums about risking being defaulted on the littlest things such as larger rims and CAI needing an engineers certificate is kinda scaring me into sticking to nothing but rice when it comes to modding... which sucks cos i at least wanted to get 17s if i start earning enough $$$.

bodykit, leds and things that light up are all i think im willing to add on if its gonna cause me more stress than im willing to deal with...

Edited by JJCRU23R

Under my policy (as i understood it, from memory anyway), as long as i tell AMII over the phone the modifications ive done, theyll include it on my insurance without increasing the cost of my insurance. just as long as it doesnt go over a certain amount ($5000 is my limit i think? for things like aftermarket stereo, altezza tail lights etc).

no idea if that includes mods to the engine, in which case i really havent done anything besides the cooling panel i bought from silverbullit and the k&n panel filter which is a direct replacement for the stock 1.

all this talk in these forums about risking being defaulted on the littlest things such as larger rims and CAI needing an engineers certificate is kinda scaring me into sticking to nothing but rice when it comes to modding... which sucks cos i at least wanted to get 17s if i start earning enough $$$.

bodykit, leds and things that light up are all i think im willing to add on if its gonna cause me more stress than im willing to deal with...

It largely depends on your age. With AAMI if you're over 25 you can have unlimited (legal) mods with no additional cost, and my policy is under $600 per year. But anywhere you go, if you're under 25 it will be costly.