Aurion speedometer

Hi guys, i just collected a new Aurion Prodigy without modification. I also have a Mio GPS unit.

The speedo on the Aurion always shows around 5 km/h faster than the GPS.

So if the speedo says 60, the GPS will show 55.

On my housemate's Echo, the digital speedo reading and the GPS match exactly.

Do you think the speedo on my new Aurion has a calibration issue ?

Regards.

When I own a Tomtom 910 GPS unit I set it up in my car once before selling it, as I has Toyota Navigation installed in my car and I noticed the speed different of 2-3 km/h more on the Aurion speedo than my Tomtom.

The only way is to put your car on certified dyno that the police use to calibrate their equipment to be sure.

Edited by Aurion ZR6

• 1 month later...

Some feedback about this case.

I got the dealer to test the car. When the needle is pointing at 100, the actual speed is between 93~95. That explains why i'm the slowest Aurion driver on the road.

Anyway the dealer has replaced the dash to fix this. Now it's much closer. When it points to 100, i'm running 98.

My only disappointment is the replacement dash is a recycled part. I know because the odo reading starts at 1000+

Some feedback about this case.

I got the dealer to test the car. When the needle is pointing at 100, the actual speed is between 93~95. That explains why i'm the slowest Aurion driver on the road.

Anyway the dealer has replaced the dash to fix this. Now it's much closer. When it points to 100, i'm running 98.

My only disappointment is the replacement dash is a recycled part. I know because the odo reading starts at 1000+

What you mean it starts at 1000+?

Have a go and say you want a new part..who wants recycled parts out of other cars lol

It means on the replacement dash, the odo reading is already 1000+, not close to zero as you would expect new parts. So pretty obvious the dash has been taken off from somewhere else.

At that point of time i was not fussy about it as long as it has a lower reading than the original dash.

Anyway the replacement (recycled) dash is working fine and the workmanship is good so i figured better don't risk another job which could result in more issues.

I went for a long drive and had the Tom Tom XL running. I found the speedo to be about 6kms/hr faster then the Tom Tom but only from 100km/h on. Before 100km/hr the speedo was on par with the Tom Tom.

They say the GPS readings are as accurate as you can get as the GPS Satellites are synched with the atomic clock.... Hmm..

• 2 months later...
Hi guys, i just collected a new Aurion Prodigy without modification. I also have a Mio GPS unit.

The speedo on the Aurion always shows around 5 km/h faster than the GPS.

So if the speedo says 60, the GPS will show 55.

On my housemate's Echo, the digital speedo reading and the GPS match exactly.

Do you think the speedo on my new Aurion has a calibration issue ?

Regards.

Unfortunately, the speedo should've been digital because nowadays because plus or a minus 1km could be very critical with speed cameras. Not only that, the speedo does not have increments of 2 making it impossible to know your precise speed. I called Toyota because the speedo on my Aurion reads 5kph lower than the actual speed. They said I am the lucky one because the acceptable maximum tolerance is 10% + 6 ie your speedo could be reading 116kph but you are actually doing 100kph. That is very silly. I know the Fords and Holdens are much more precise than that. Toyota have failed on the basics.

Regards

George

Unfortunately, the speedo should've been digital because nowadays because plus or a minus 1km could be very critical with speed cameras. Not only that, the speedo does not have increments of 2 making it impossible to know your precise speed. I called Toyota because the speedo on my Aurion reads 5kph lower than the actual speed. They said I am the lucky one because the acceptable maximum tolerance is 10% + 6 ie your speedo could be reading 116kph but you are actually doing 100kph. That is very silly. I know the Fords and Holdens are much more precise than that. Toyota have failed on the basics.

Regards

George

[/quote

Toyota failed on the basics???? and Ford and Holdens are much more precise????? Give me a break, my wifes VE Commodore, the stupid cruise control does not always activate when selected and you end up putting all your attention onto the speedo and trying to get the damn thing into cruise control and not on the road and traffic. I would like to know where you are getting your info from.

Edited by beaves

it seems true that once the aurion goes above 100km/h, there's a slight accuracy descrepancy.

I was watching the speedo at 120km/h (approx) when I went through an overbridge speed gun... the speed gun reads that I was doing 115km/h. Max speed the speed gun would read was 117km/h

Below 100km/h, it is pretty spot on!

it seems true that once the aurion goes above 100km/h, there's a slight accuracy descrepancy........

Below 100km/h, it is pretty spot on!

My own GPS results show that the inconsistency extends right across the speed ranges on the Aurion.

What's worse is that this is a deliberate variation implemented by most (if not all) Australian car manufacturers to protect themselves from drivers who might choose to blame the manufacturer for getting booked. I have seen this with previous Hondas, Fords (goodness knows why I ever bought that pile of rubbish) as well as the current vehicle. In each case, the service centres will quote the old "it's within the 10% specification" line. The manufacturer's customer support centre will also quote the same old line.

All manufacturers have the technology to make the speedometers extremely accurate yet they choose to apply this deliberate error margin to "protect" us and themselves.

I, for one, would like Toyota's speedometers to show me my actual speed, not some ficticious "safety" speed that Toyota believes I should be tricked into believing.

Is it too much to ask for an instrument to display what it is actually intended to display?

In my aurion, i find the speedo above 40kmh, is like overstated by 10km/h,

as i sit on 60km/h, i find every other car passing me, thinking im a sort of granny driver lol.

LOL!!! I have that +20 vision ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I'm new here and a new Aurion driver. The speedo has been my biggest gripe (very small gripe tho!) because it kinda reads faster than I actually am, making me another "slow" Aurion driver (or has everyone suddenly decided to start driving 5k faster than usual?). But on the upside I'm less likely to get booked for speeding though! Haha.

Hi guys I'm new here and a new Aurion driver. The speedo has been my biggest gripe (very small gripe tho!) because it kinda reads faster than I actually am, making me another "slow" Aurion driver (or has everyone suddenly decided to start driving 5k faster than usual?). But on the upside I'm less likely to get booked for speeding though! Haha.

Yep, my trips to Sydney early Sep07 and last week to Brisbane I set to around 115 to 120 (the needle stayed in between). The overhead speedreader told me I was running at 111 - should be ok then

BH