Is this review reliable?

http://www.mynrma.com.au/corolla-sportivo_toycorolla_spo.asp

I'm in favour of buying the Sportivo but i came across this review

At the moment, i'm not trying to negatively criticise the car but i don't know which source i should trust. So i'm just posting to confirm some facts.

I've read the review by Bill Mckinnon and he seems to be giving idea of how poor the Sportivo is.

He is saying that the Sportivo seems to understeer and its fuel economy is only average.

Above all, it claims "it's not particularly good value"

Is his criticism of the Sportivo a bit too biased?

I mean, he says "The dash features high gloss fake metal inserts" and i find them appealing.

So, how would you sportivo owners respond to his view of the car? He has a point or is he exaggerating about the problems?

Edited by 2zz-ge

i read it and

85% i agree with the author

5% i have different feeling against the author

10% i do not know as i need to drive the sportivo more (i only borrow from friends as i have the sedan)

i say it is great value.

Edited by kcorro

I think the review was fair. You really do need to drive the car hard to get the most out of it, which some people don't like.... but I love... :D :D

He is right about the understeery nature of the car, even with electronic break force distribution and ABS I find it tough to find the Apex on some downhill runs, or maybe I'm just going in to fast!!!!! :P :P :P

But some suspension modification I'm sure will easilly put an end to this, plus slightly wider tyres.

Edited by Blue_Sportivo_VVTLi

Asking a question like that in this chat room, will surely attarct biased comments towards about how good OUR Sportivo REALLY are!

I am not interested in Bill McKinnon's comments, but I can give you mine.

I LOVE IT. It is as simple as that. The POWER and also having the functionality of car, i.e. not being restricted by the small interior and limited usability of a sports trunk.

Forget Bill McKinnon, he's being paid by our competitors! B)

"A 200km town/country loop returned 11.5 litres/100 km, which is average."

if you rev the bejesus out of any engine of course the fuel consumption is going to be higher than normal. :rolleyes: with a mix of normal and hard driving, I'm getting 8.5 litres/100km average.

Just test drive the car yourself and don't be scared to drive the car as you normally would. You need to live with it day in, day out so If you like it follow your own judgement and don't be too worried about reviews like that.

Being a new graduate i didn't have much money to buy a flash sports car. I did a lot of research and weighed up the pros and cons of many cars in the same class and price range as the sportivo. I must say that is was the best bang-for-your buck car on the market at the time. I agree with alot of points in the Mckinnon review but it seems he was judging it on the totally different criteria to ours.

You will see this kind of review alot from guys who are so used to driving and test driving bigger, more powerful cars with more low-end torque. I disagree with the comment about the dodgey finish. I sat in the lancer2.0, Mazda SP20 and Ford Focus and the Sportivo definitely had a less "toy" like finish and styling than the rest. the lancer2.0 interior looked to "aftermarket" for a factory finish, the same can be said about the Mazda and Ford. The Sportivo has the most refined looking interior of any hatch i have seen under 30k. I really like the Pug 206 GTi 180 but even that interior doesn't tickle my fancy (I love the 18" factory rims though)

anyway, back to the issue. the only way you can tell for sure is to test drive as many cars as you can. The sportivo is definitely a car that has to be driven to be appreciated. You never know, you could drive it and end up loving it or hating it depending on what kind of car you are after.

Hope this helps,

Kien

Was that review on a pre recall Sportivo, as I would agree with the whole thing it is a little slow down low. But post recall the car is a lot more driveable and improved.

I think reviewers need to before they get into the guts of a review say what they like in a car as generally all reviews a biased a little towards what that is. If you prefer a classier type of car that has quiet refined driving there is no way the sportivo is for you and the review will generally reflect that. If you like to drive a car, to hear what the engine is doing the sportivo is a fabulous buy and you will love the way the engine screams if not you will just think it noisy.

I myself do not trust reviewers but instead talk to the people who already drive the cars I'm looking at and get their honest impressions and drive as many of them myself and if possible on a few occasions.

The sportivo is a car you will either really love or you won't. Test it for yourself. All of us here did and we loved it

This sound to me like to opinion of some 50+ year old who would be much happier in a V6 auto family sedan.

Anyone who doesn't like the sound of a high-tech 4cyl at 8000rpm is obvisouly on a completely different page to all the people on this forum.

OK the sportivo has it's limitations, low torque at low revs, open front diff etc. but you get way you pay for, and this this case you get a lot for your $30,000. If there is another car that comes close to the sportivo on performance, features & driving enjoyment for less money then go out and buy one.

Quote: "However the engine's relatively meagre ration of torque - 180 Nm - peaks only 1000 rpm lower."

Show me a 1.8 litre naturally aspirated engine that produces more than 180Nm. Heck, show me an engine that produces more than 100Nm per litre. The only one that I can think of is the Renault Clio Sport's 2.0 litre engine. Pushes 200Nm. Biased reviewer...

:angry::angry::angry:

Just went to the Sydney International motor show yesterday and i can say there were many cars i would love to own and drive rather than the Sportivo. Not to menytion the beautiful chicks at the Toyota stand :P

But come on, i bought a Sportivo and i can still say it is the best BFYB car on the market right now and even in the future. No car in the $30,000 bracket has an engine and 6 speed gearbox in the $40,000 sports car segment (except the Honda Accord Euro at $34,990). And what other car in the $30,000 segment has Toyota's reknown quality, reliabilty and resale value. It also has the practicality of a 5 door hatch. The only car i can see that comes close to matching the Corolla Sportivo in value is the Honda Accord Euro base model @ $34,990 RRP. Forget the Clio Sport and whatever else. The Honda Accord Euro is 5grand more than the Stivo but quality, refinement, comfort, equipment levels and safety are all up and above the $40,000 car segment. Reliability is unquestionablly Honda and it is packed with features. It has the best shifting short throw 6 speed gearbox other than the TypeR (now TypeS) and S2000. Not to mention it also has a fantastic engine 140KW @ 6800rpm and heaps of torque 220NM @ 4500rpm from the 2.4 i-VTEC, plus front and rear double wishbone suspension this thing has big potential and can really handle. I might sound biased but i do have an Accord Euro Luxury model in my garage and am allowed to drive it and it has very stiff chassis with little roll. Brakes are very very strong and the engine is one of the best in the i-VTEC range. Very useable around town and freeway like a V6 and when revved past 4500rpm the VTEC awakens and roars. I would have bought one for myself if i have another 5grand.

Baseline is test drive the cars for yourself. My father and i loved the Accord Euro when we test drove it. I loved the Sportivo when i test drove it. So it all depends on individual and how uch money you have. I now yearn for the Integra TypeS (replacing TypeR) with 154KW @7800rpm and 192NM@7000rpm. Full leather bucket seats and new colours! Just saw it yesterday at the Motor Show. But will costs $42,990RRP :( And i am still dreaming about the S2000 :rolleyes:

Well, I sat in a Sportivo a couple of times at the dealerships and i loved it.

hehe, i wouldn't mind the sweet sound of the engine as long it didn't sound like it was going to run out of breath or rev like lawn-mower which you get from fat V8s.

Well, i read that VVTL is pretty much similar to Honda's vtec. So, i'll be assuming that i'll enjoy the sound.

However, do you owners find the noise of the tyres irritating in any way?

Oh and another question, Does the the 2zz-ge engine perform worse than 1zz-fe between 1k to 4k RPM in terms of torque and power output?

Edited by 2zz-ge

I own a 1zz so I'm not biased. When the Sportivo goes into lift - it sounds very gutsy and is bound to make you smile.

Tire Noise isn't bad with the standard Bridgestone Turanza's but will be a little louder if you fit bigger wheels/tyres. But even then it's still not intrusive.

Torque and Power of the 2zz below 4000rpm would be very similar to the 1zz, Sportivo is geared shorter and has a six speed in lieu of the 1zz's five ratios, so any torque gap in low revs is compensated by the shorter gearing.

I was allowed a levin sedan do drive around for a few days while my car was having some warranty work done to it (melted bumper skirt, posted previously) and I can tell you that there is very little difference between the 1zz and 2zz at lower RPM (1-4K). The biggest difference I felt was of course in Lift :) and the cornering in the 1zz is not even close to that of the sportivo. It felt extremely soft and the car had only 600 k's on it. This was also well before the ECU recall so I don't really know how they would compare now, but I would assume the 2zz to now have the edge.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/corolla-sportivo_toycorolla_spo.asp

I'm in favour of buying the Sportivo but i came across this review

At the moment, i'm not trying to negatively criticise the car but i don't know which source i should trust. So i'm just posting to confirm some facts.

I've read the review by Bill Mckinnon and he seems to be giving idea of how poor the Sportivo is.

He is saying that the Sportivo seems to understeer and its fuel economy is only average.

Above all, it claims "it's not particularly good value"

Is his criticism of the Sportivo a bit too biased?

I mean, he says "The dash features high gloss fake metal inserts" and i find them appealing.

So, how would you sportivo owners respond to his view of the car? He has a point or is he exaggerating about the problems?

My opinion on some of those comments:

1) Yes, the Sportivo does understeer quite a bit;

2) Fuel Economy is nothing outstanding, could even be described as average;

3) Overall, the car IS GREAT value - e.g. 141kw engine, 6 speed manual, leather interior - what is he on about?

4) "The dash features high gloss fake metal inserts", this is a styling decision to match the charcoal/black interior with some 'sporty' silver bits. Its a matter of opinion. I do agree that there is a high gloss due to the clear coat, thats the cheaper way to do it, a better way to have done it would have been to get a matt finish by getting the parts satin chromed instead of painted, a more expensive process.

Overall, the car is great value. Just my $0.02 :)