Tecnical report on the 2zz-GE Engine

Hi Guys,

Here is a calculator to do your kw->hp & hp->kw conversions.

http://www.wentec.com/unipower/calculators/kw_hp.asp

I have read this before and as for the variation in power for the 2ZZ engine it possibly might have something to do with the feul they use over in the US and also to do with the fact that we dont even know what iginition timing etc etc etc as u will notice they achieve max power @ 200 rpm's less than us.

Also the reports was published start of 2000 a few years ago.....

another interesting fact is that the latest XRS Matrix is only pushing out the below numbers

170 hp @ 7600 rpm = 126.77KW

127 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm

Which again is dude to many other factors other than the engine i.e. fuel quality, ignition timing,fuel mapping etc

A clear example of this is you will all notice the difference on your cars pre and post recall. Y ???? because toyota changed the feul mapping & advanced the ignition timing. Which led to possibly adding 5-7KW @ the fly.

So what am i saying ? The report is only providing detail about the engine which isnt enough info to make conclusive jumps at a conclusion that its under powered.

As for the 1ZZ ....... im stumped as to how they pumped out more power :blink::blink::blink: As their fuel quality is worse than ours and advancing the timing would be a big mistake so yeah go figure. Unless toyota has de-tuned ours ????? No im not starting rumours & conspirecy's :P :P :P ;) ;) :ph34r::ph34r:

cheers

Bill

A clear example of this is you will all notice the difference on your cars pre and post recall. Y ???? because toyota changed the feul mapping & advanced the ignition timing. Which led to possibly adding 5-7KW @ the fly.

Actually I have heard from a friend who works within Yamaha (as an engineer for one of the ir factory teams) that he beleives more than just timing was changed. To get the mid range increase they were able to produce with a 3 degree timing advance and a play with mixtures does not quite workout. He believes this map also includes tweaks to the VVT too.

The asian model Corolla sedan with 2ZZ-GE (called the Corolla XRS) has 170hp because they wanted a fatter mid range torque curve. Hence the lower RPM at which peak torque occurs and so less torque at the higher rpms => lower peak power. I reckon they are using this same engine in the 2004 US Matrix XRS.