Knocking noise

Suprathai

Booo....

Got the tein coilovers installed that I bought off morice a little while ago.......after installing it, I'm getting a constant knocking sound when I go over bumpy surfaces and the like. No probs on the super smooth motorways though.

Any opinions guys.......besides don't buy second hand products :(

The knocking noise is only fromthe front though, no problems with the rear....

• 1 month later...
Booo....

Got the tein coilovers installed that I bought off morice a little while ago.......after installing it, I'm getting a constant knocking sound when I go over bumpy surfaces and the like. No probs on the super smooth motorways though.

Any opinions guys.......besides don't buy second hand products :(

The knocking noise is only fromthe front though, no problems with the rear....

I'm running a set of D2's and I get the same knocking noise - particularly if the shocks are cold, once they have warmed up it appears less. It only comes from the front - nothing from the back. I have made sure everything is tight, no binding and even oiled everything up. I'm at the point of pulling them out to inspect them. Alternatively if someone knows somewhere in Sydney where they rebuild/service coilovers I am sure they will know this issue and how to fix it. Don't feel bad for buying second hand as I am sure you are happy with the awesome handling!

I think this has been covered before. anyway, the noise is coming from the ball pillow mount. they have to be tight and lubricated pretty well.

for those who don't know what it is, it's the large center bolt on top of the strut tower. the stock one is 19mm and you may need a deep socket to get to it. I'm not sure about the size of the aftermarket ones though. the pain with tightening them is that when they get to a certain tightness, you just end up turning the piston of the strut. you need some way to hold the strut piston while turning the bolt to tighten it.

i got this noise....but only from rear left? i got springs not coilovers....can someone tell me what the noise is from? only statred like 4 days ago....

what springs do you have and does the noise only happen when hitting big bumps? If they may have sagged then they may not be tight in the strut/shock body. when you hit a bump and the shock extends, the spring could be "floating" free and clanking when the shock compresses and the spring comes in contact with the spring seats again. It could also be the plastic apron that drapes over the shock piston has brocken and is hitting the spring.

It may also be unrelated to the spring.

ooops, forgot to mention that it could also be a loose nut on the top of the rear shock. you can access this by removing the boot trim. the nut sits on a rubber grommet and could have come loose over time.

Edited by qkslvr

I think this has been covered before. anyway, the noise is coming from the ball pillow mount. they have to be tight and lubricated pretty well.

for those who don't know what it is, it's the large center bolt on top of the strut tower. the stock one is 19mm and you may need a deep socket to get to it. I'm not sure about the size of the aftermarket ones though. the pain with tightening them is that when they get to a certain tightness, you just end up turning the piston of the strut. you need some way to hold the strut piston while turning the bolt to tighten it.

Thanks - I think you are right re the pillow mount. I also see the fun to be had tightening it. Will try this over the weekend on one side and see if it makes a difference.

They are pillow mounts, I changed back to stock. Upon further investigation and testing, it was found that the pillow mounts are able to move about 0.5mm up and down. So i'll need to tighten those before putting them back in.

i got this noise....but only from rear left? i got springs not coilovers....can someone tell me what the noise is from? only statred like 4 days ago....

what springs do you have and does the noise only happen when hitting big bumps? If they may have sagged then they may not be tight in the strut/shock body. when you hit a bump and the shock extends, the spring could be "floating" free and clanking when the shock compresses and the spring comes in contact with the spring seats again. It could also be the plastic apron that drapes over the shock piston has brocken and is hitting the spring.

ooops, forgot to mention that it could also be a loose nut on the top of the rear shock. you can access this by removing the boot trim. the nut sits on a rubber grommet and could have come loose over time.

ummm ok? so whos gona come fix it for me. lol i have no idea about anything you said :(

ummm ok? so whos gona come fix it for me. lol i have no idea about anything you said :(

can you make it happen without driving it say bouncing that corner of the car?

if your in the city round ultimo tafe monday or wednesday night i can have a squiz for you