GearBox and Clutch

Some of you may remember a previous post I discussed clutch/gearbox noises emanating from my car but when I pushed the clutch in the problem went away.

I was in at Toyota and mentioned it the other night and they said that I should take it in and get it looked at but that car behaviours that were intermittent were hard to deal with. I seem to be able to reproduce the noise reasonably consistently now... sometimes the noise is loud and very noticeable, sometimes not.

Can anyone who has had any work performed on their clutch or gearbox, list the symptons, cause and fix please? An indication of how long it took Toyota to rectify the problem i.e number of visits to the service centre would be appreciated.

Cheers.

if the noise goes away when you depress the clutch it's most likely a noisy thowout bearing, which is quite common. Easy to fix with a new $30 bearing, it's the labour to remove and install the box which is a pain... Removing and installing FWD gearboxes is my most hated corolla task.

Edited by rollamods

is this noise a whistling or whining noise when gearing down and letting go of the clutch or does it sound like a scraping noise? Coz I seem to have both these noises.

Its a scraping, grinding noise. Cars I've had in the past where the throw out bearing is the problem usually make the whistling noise until the clutch is depressed.

Well, my baby is in the shop right now for clutch, i started the noises, and then the car was just not responding, revving like a biatch and not going n e where, turned out the clutch was completely worn and the flywheel was scorched to buggery, trd **** now though, so all good, my advice would be address problem early, just is case it decides to go the way of my car!:)

Well, my baby is in the shop right now for clutch, i started the noises, and then the car was just not responding, revving like a biatch and not going n e where, turned out the clutch was completely worn and the flywheel was scorched to buggery, trd **** now though, so all good, my advice would be address problem early, just is case it decides to go the way of my car!:)

You had the gear shifting issue too before your clutch went?