fuel mileage

fatman

Hi, i'm new and wondering how much mileage (or more relevantly) kms do you get out of your car around town and on the highway, I only just bought an 83 diesel tarago and I THINK it does around 10km to the litre around town, haven't taken it on a road trip yet. Is this good or bad?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thats nothing, I just bought an 05 2.4 Petrol Tarago and from 75L down to 3 Litres left I got a massive 389 Ks. (Should of kept the Prado) Got heaps of black sooty junk flying around on the back door and not happy. Luckily she's still under New car warranty. Anybody got any ideas why she's so thirsty and blowing soot?

Edited by moondog450

Thats nothing, I just bought an 05 2.4 Petrol Tarago and from 75L down to 3 Litres left I got a massive 389 Ks. (Should of kept the Prado) Got heaps of black sooty junk flying around on the back door and not happy. Luckily she's still under New car warranty. Anybody got any ideas why she's so thirsty and blowing soot?

Righto, found the problem, oxygen sensors (apparently there are 2) 1 is dead the other is half dead. Not really what you expect from Toyota, but hey, such is life. The back of my Tarago was getting a nice spray of sooty carbony type gunk and the most recent trip got 220 Ks for 3 quarter tank thanks to the sensors.

Edited by moondog450

Righto, found the problem, oxygen sensors (apparently there are 2) 1 is dead the other is half dead. Not really what you expect from Toyota, but hey, such is life. The back of my Tarago was getting a nice spray of sooty carbony type gunk and the most recent trip got 220 Ks for 3 quarter tank thanks to the sensors.

Also check your airflow meter. My 01 was running like a P.O.S. till I fiund the problem. $380 for the part and half an hour to fit, now it runs like a dream getting about 10.5l/100k.

Hi, i'm new and wondering how much mileage (or more relevantly) kms do you get out of your car around town and on the highway, I only just bought an 83 diesel tarago and I THINK it does around 10km to the litre around town, haven't taken it on a road trip yet. Is this good or bad?

hmm.. dont own a tarago.. but my best mate does... and took it for a spin a few times... i think the problem with tarago is that when u accel, it always goes on high RPMS.... well... if i compare it with my rolla... it should be fine if you only drives around 2000-3000rpm.... but with tarago its much higher... i assume its the body weight... but yeah. my friend still have the fuel consumption sticker sticking on his car... its says 10L/100kms... so u should be getting just pretty much right.....

EDIT: Sorry... dint read your post properly... i read it and i notice it was a diesel T_T... but i reckon u should get better fuel econ with diesel??

:rolleyes:

Edited by LEGEND888

• 1 month later...

Hey moondog450, were the oxygen sensors expensive to replace or were they covered under warranty? Have a 2003 Tarago GLX (70,000km's) which is under used car warranty and is running around 14.2L/100km highway only driving so I'm keen to identify any way of reducing the consumption. Note I don't seem to have any sooty exhaust.

Cheers,

solly

Edited by solyxius

Hey moondog450, were the oxygen sensors expensive to replace or were they covered under warranty? Have a 2003 Tarago GLX (70,000km's) which is under used car warranty and is running around 13.6L/100km city only driving so I'm keen to identify any way of reducing the consumption. Note I don't seem to have any sooty exhaust.

Cheers,

solly

Mine were under warranty mate, but I recall the figure of 260 big ones somewhere in the issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

robie,

I noticed on another thread you mentioned you were a Toyota mechanic ... can you shed any more info on mileage vs air flow meters and O2 sensors (or any other factors). I've got my major 80,000kms service in 3 weeks (2003 Tarago GLX) and was hoping to glean some info about what to ask / insist on regarding these parts to reduce the consumption while the vehicle is still under used car warranty.

PS - With regards to the rear seat in these, mine seems to lock in position either fully forward against the middle row or at the furtherest back - I noticed holes i the tracks every few inches in between - should you be able to lock in to any of these stops?

Cheers in advance,

solly

robie,

I noticed on another thread you mentioned you were a Toyota mechanic ... can you shed any more info on mileage vs air flow meters and O2 sensors (or any other factors). I've got my major 80,000kms service in 3 weeks (2003 Tarago GLX) and was hoping to glean some info about what to ask / insist on regarding these parts to reduce the consumption while the vehicle is still under used car warranty.

PS - With regards to the rear seat in these, mine seems to lock in position either fully forward against the middle row or at the furtherest back - I noticed holes i the tracks every few inches in between - should you be able to lock in to any of these stops?

Cheers in advance,

solly

well the only servicable items that can effect efficency are spark plugs air filter and fuel filter (on petrol engines) and fuel filter (in diesel) but other things like build up in injectors and the obvious normal wear and tear cause slight fuel consumption increases also. 1 more thing that can effect the milage is the quality of fuel if you use e10 that causes a higher fuel consumption

• 1 month later...
robie,

Cheers in advance,

solly

well the only servicable items that can effect efficency are spark plugs air filter and fuel filter (on petrol engines) and fuel filter (in diesel) but other things like build up in injectors and the obvious normal wear and tear cause slight fuel consumption increases also. 1 more thing that can effect the milage is the quality of fuel if you use e10 that causes a higher fuel consumption

Update - had the major service, mentioned it to the service guys, they recommended doing an injector clean for $95 .... fuel economy increased from 14.1 l/100km to 11.4 l/100km ... tested over the same 4 doay trip down to the coast including town driving. Apparently there is something involved where unused fuel is recycled but if the injectors are gummed up the fuel is expended rather than recycled. Anyways worked a treat!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI All,

Another Petrol Tarago owner here, mine's a 95 model. I'm lucky if I get 6km per liter though the car sees a lot of short trips and frequently has 6 people in it. I had her fully serviced a month ago and the mechanic couldn't find anything off the bat to explain the poor fuel efficiency. So if anyone has suggestions where to look I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Bastiaan

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 95 Tarago.. mine pretty much does exactly the same milage as stated in factory specs.. bout 9klm a L round town, and about 11klm a L on highway.. Might add also mines runs very smoothly and has always been serviced.. at the moment she has just under 250 000 klms on the clock.

• 3 months later...

HI guys, I've recently bought a 2000 petrol model just had the first fill up this morning and I'm getting 11.6lt/ 100km or about 58 lts in and traveled 500km, average city traffic, but having issues with the spark plugs or coil, which is giving me a jerky move off at the lights. will take it into the mechanics tomorrow anyhow.