Caribbean Newbie

JDM RunX

Hi guys,

I found this website a couple of days ago and I think I've found my new home. I'm actually from Jamaica and I own a 2002 JDM 6spd RunX. I'm one of only a handful of owners here. I jumped for joy when I found this site. Its the first english speaking site I've seen with so many Runx/Sportivo owners. It really feels good to read the different posts. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning alot from you guys.

Thanks B)

Welcome JDM RunX!

how did you find us exactly?

So, in Jamaica, the Runx is considered an import?

Well actually I found your site through random searching on Google. I've been searching for info on my Runx everyday for the past 3 months. Everything was in Japanese :D . I just hit the jackpot one day.

Here in Jamaica, the RunX is very new. I am one of the few persons driving the 6spd version on the island. People are interested in them but are sceptical. I owned an Evo IV before and so I need another quick car that was more reliable. A friend of mine who works at a import dealership told me about the car, He drove me around in it like crazy and I was sold ;) . There is a war going on here between Hondas and Toyotas with Toyota on the losing side. With my car and a few others, we are leveling the playing field. ;)

I can't wait to start upgrading my car with your help.

Welcome JDM RunX!

how did you find us exactly?

So, in Jamaica, the Runx is considered an import?

Well actually I found your site through random searching on Google. I've been searching for info on my Runx everyday for the past 3 months. Everything was in Japanese :D . I just hit the jackpot one day.

Here in Jamaica, the RunX is very new. I am one of the few persons driving the 6spd version on the island. People are interested in them but are sceptical. I owned an Evo IV before and so I need another quick car that was more reliable. A friend of mine who works at a import dealership told me about the car, He drove me around in it like crazy and I was sold ;) . There is a war going on here between Hondas and Toyotas with Toyota on the losing side. With my car and a few others, we are leveling the playing field. ;)

I can't wait to start upgrading my car with your help.

Welcome mate, what have you had done to your EVO4 and what are you expecting to do to your Stivo?

On EVOs they are rare as in Australia but i have seen a guy driving in a Yellow EVO8 living in my area. I also thought EVOs are one the more reliable AWD turbos out there. They have strong drivetrains haven't they?

Zee

Zee

Its too bad you guys dont have a lot of Evos. We have them here in great numbers. Up to yesterday I was driving around in a friends Evo VII completely prepared by HKS fresh in from Japan. It was a beast. I really dont think there is a substitute for all wheel drive turbo. As for mine, I sold it. My plans for the Runx is to be faster than Type Rs and a nightmare for Evos and STIs.

Its amazing what the tuning culture is like down here. We have the latest cars from Japan and some OldSchool monsters. Everybody is going boost to keep up. The thing with Evos is that they break easily, granted not as easy as the WRX. If you really drive them HARD you are likely to damage a gear or your clutch especially in stock form. When you drive around to the performance garages here, there is no doubt that you will see Evos having gearbox, Diff or tuning work being done. I couldnt stand mine. I was at the garage everyweek tuning the car. The people who really enjoy their Evos are the guys who have more than one car, so they only drive thier Evos for fun.

When I had mine I was flying most of the time but it wasnt my style. The turbo did all the work and everybody backed off when they saw me coming. I envied Type Rs for the Vtec and the roar of thier engines, and the fun races they had on the streets, not to mention that I couldnt get them off my tail. You never saw them at the garage.

There is always a faster Evo on the street (a lot) so just when you thought your boost was high enough, some guy in a Evo 3,4,5,6 etc would run circles around you. The tuning never stops. The Runx satisfies my driving style which involves hard launches and a screaming engine. I just need to step it up from stock form. I've already scared a few Evos, beaten Levin BZRs, MIVECs, Turbo Starlets and a few 1600 vtecs. I'm pretty sure the Type Rs still have an edge. I cant wait to beat one.

As for best factory Boost with no lag, maybe that refers to the Evo VIII. My friend and I tried to chase another friend driving a 97' Hyper Sports Gear RVR (which carries te Evo 3 engine & drivetrain) and we could not close the 2 to 3 car length lead he had. And we were killing the new EVO VII. Those cars power and reliabilty are relative to the time and cash you have to pump into them.

Welcome JDM,

wow - sounds like you've got a very big tuning scene over there.

Well as you'll read through the previous posts here you'll find you really don't have to do all that much (Or spend big $) to get the 2zz-ge screaming and become a menace to the Honda's, Mitsu's and Subies. ;)