7th Gen Celica advice

Avi

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be buying a Gen 7 celica SX manual.

I've looked at 2 so far (both around the mid teens in price, and both Appear to be accident free):

the first one is a 2000 model, same owner since about 2001, with excellent service history (book stamped & service descriptions) with 141k's (a few more than I would have liked) and an interior that is showing its age a little (slightly worn drivers seat bolster and a few scratches on the dash). It drives & handles very well however.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...amp;Make=TOYOTA

The second is a modified '99 with 17inch rims, exhaust, lowered, trd kit and lcd stereo. Same owner since 2000, perfect interior and exterior (maybe a little to perfect), 104 k's. The guy is young and I'm a bit weary of that - I get a bit of a bad feeling about the car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...amp;Make=TOYOTA

Considering that I once owned a 1990 SW20 MR2 with 210 k's that drove perfectly (until someone wrote me off), which would you go for?

Or should I keep looking?

I appreciate your responses.

Regards,

Avi

Things to be mindful of...

Clutch / Noisy Thrust Bearing (Noisy when backing off in 3rd or 4th gears).

Broken Lift bolts (Not switching over to high cam properly at 6200rpms).

Worn Syncros (Gearbox hard to get into reverse or hard to shift from 1st to 2nd quickly at high rpm - i.e. land lift, keeping it above 6200rpm).

Can all be fixed and may not really be a critical problem but its money you wouldn't want to have to spend straight up.

But really they are a great car and are pretty well built, I bought mine with 90K on it and it now has 130K and I've been to the track with it 4 or 5 times and no real problems at all, it loves it.

Good luck with your search :D

Does the car run on a cam belt? and if yes, how many k's before it needs changing?

The 2ZZ-GE uses a timing chain.

I think the Major Service for the 7th Gen was 80 000ks so I guess another at 160 000 ks.

Lift Bolt TSB - http://teamcelica.com/tech/installs/liftbolts/liftbolts.pdf

Other Info - http://www.pressroom.com.au/pressroom/samp...99celicakit.htm

• 1 month later...

I relised that when i did my research before i bought my car. that the Celicas has 2 trim types.. the SX and the ZR..

I was wondering whats are the diffrences..

SX - Lower KiloWatts than the 2ZZ-GE not sure how much lower (corrent me if i am wrong)

ZR - Has MoonRoof (AKA Sunroof)

- Aluminium Pedals

- Side Rails on the Interior

- 141KW 2ZZ-GE Engine

- Come in 6 Speed Manual or Auto

- Sports Suspension ( Maybe inacurate )

well the prices of the SX are ranged from $12,000~$18,000 Depending on quality and Kilometres

and the ZR are ranged from $13,000~$20,000 vice versa

Private Sale normally ok, or Dealership you get warranty...

Those are my 2 cents ^^

Conan

Hey Avi the first thing I would recommend you do is check out www.Newcelica.org. It's an American site but the information is still very much accurate. I'm quite sure the power output on the SX and ZR is both 141kw, as they both have the noice 2zz-GE. The states on the other hand get a lower model GT (It has the standard 1zz Corolla engine). Only their high end model, the GT-S, has a 2z.

The differences between the SX and ZR are as Freakster listed, minus the engine spec. You will fine some SX with ZR options fitted as they were available at request when purchasing.

If you're still definitely interested in the ZZt231 (the 7th gen) then personally I would spend a bit more and get a nice zr with low k's. For the last few months there's been a few nice ones listed on carsales but unfortunately I've not been in the position to grab one.

Hope you find the site to be of use, we need more performance Celicas! :yahoo:

Just a bit more info. The lower spec engine is in overseas country. In Australia it only comes out as a standard (160bhp) 2ZZ-GE 141kw vvti-L which means variable valve timing and Lift (where there is more power) overseas countries have 1ZZ-GE with only (120bhp), similar engine without Lift.

• 3 weeks later...

WTF?

i just bought a Celica 7th Gen and it was sold as an SX. Nowhere on the car or ENGINE does it have the L for lift! eg: VVTL-i

And as for feeling the lift @ 6200RPM... the Supercharger is usually engaged by then so i have not noticed ( OMFG, i just laid myself bare as a complete car n00b! ).

BTW, just for your research, i paid $25K for my Celica, but it has all the fruit ( see sig ) and has only done.....wait for it..... 45 000 Kms so there are little gems out there, you just have to look.

LoL :D someone must of carved off the VVTL-i engraving on the engine :P and taken (debadged) the Stickers on the Side Fenders :P

Nice car but, hehe if i get a blitz Super charger as well.. hmm i might have to get my Full license first X_X damnz!

weird but the SX are 2ZZ anyways, its physically impossible not to have Lift, lol im imagining things now.. they comverted twincam into single cam :P

good work. 25 is cheap, lol my car will be up at that stage soon..

You really are a freak........

i been driving this ride hard to test the Lift factor, it is there but pales in comparison to the SC.

BTW - not a stock color - so there is the explanation to the "L" missing on the sides. As for the VVTL-i on the engine..... :unsure:

:ph34r:

Edited by funke