Smashed Corolla- Advice to Fix

Hey guys and girls,

My 1997 Corolla was involved a front end smash with a Commodore's towbar. I was travelling probably less that 30-40km/h. Damage is the radiator and fans are smashed and just seem to nearly touch the engine, and also the bumper and bumper brackets are bent in. All the coolant leaked out over the next couple of hours. All the hoses and belts are still attached and the engine is un touched (including the water pipe etc...), even the airconditioner is untouched, just slightly bent back. I drove it a couple of blocks back to my front yard.

My question is how to go about getting it fixed, it is only insured 3rd party and I have limited cash so is it a DIY job with wrecker parts? What about the bonnet? How much should it cost to get that fixed up? I don't have alot of car experience but I have a switched on brain (cept for one lazy sunday afternoon:) I was saving up to move over to WA and planned to drive it over. The only problem is now I have to get the car to do quite a few km's in not the best shape. I want to get it running totally reliably but at minimal cost. I am not concerned about whether it looks pretty just that it has a solid engine. Any advice really would be appreciated...louise

l_56574fd79a49d32834be6c1b5094e29f.jpg

l_f19562f0a4c2c92744fd633cd62e536b.jpg

i'd get a radiator from a wrecker, install it and check if the system leaks. Get someone to check the aircon if u plan to use it on your trip. Bonnet could be bent back into shape pretty easily. Get a bumper from a wrecker as well, and a bonnet if u really wish. Could be fixed easily for under 500 i reckon. Thats if u can do some basic panel beating with a hammer and dolly, otherwise maybe more.

at first look thats about a $2000 job, find a panel beater that will do for cash and tell him you have no insurnce and they will just fix cosmetic side of it ..

roughly ... $200 per panel to paint ...

new bonnet $100-300

2 new headlight ... 50 - 200

radiator // raidator suppport panel - new fans ... $200 - $500

front bumper cover and metal rio bar $50-200

radiator support panel support panel will need welding in

Accidents like this actually cost more than they look

need a pic under bonnet for better look ... if bonnet supports crack it has to come off

hope this helps

i had a bit of experince with smashed cars

Edited by DrivInGScHool

I want to get it running, totally reliably but at minimal cost.

pick 2 but u cant have all 3 so choose:

u can get it running and totally reliable but will cost u

u can get bits totally reliable at minimal cost but it probably wont get the car running

u can get it running at minimal cost and it wont be reliable.

To get all 3 ur gonna have to take a slightly different approach and work out exactly wats needed and what its going to cost not work the other way .....

I want to get it running, totally reliably but at minimal cost.

pick 2 but u cant have all 3 so choose:

u can get it running and totally reliable but will cost u

u can get bits totally reliable at minimal cost but it probably wont get the car running

u can get it running at minimal cost and it wont be reliable.

To get all 3 ur gonna have to take a slightly different approach and work out exactly wats needed and what its going to cost not work the other way .....

can't drive it with a bent radiator supprt panel . .so if anythings bent inwards it will cost you .. cant be a cheap fix ..

if its just cosmetic then cheap fix

from Ozeparts Chinese copy panels are:

Bonnet $145

Bumper Skin $110

Bumper reinforcement $55

Headlight $80

Radiator Support $110

Radiator $195

Radiator Fan $110

The radiator support panel is the hardest to replace as the spotwelds have to be drilled out and the new one tacked in place, everything else is easy to DIY.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from an apprentice panel beater. I think try to get a bomb car with rear damage. Get a drill, lots of tools, a helping hand and a mig welder. You will need to replace the bonnet, bumper, lights, well really what is damaged. You shoud be able to do it yourself. As for the main frame damage, look for the spot welds and drill them with a 3/8th drill bit. Drill only half way then a bigger drill bit half way, if ya do go full way it doesnt matter just try not to do it cause it is a pain to weld back. You will need a hammer and dolly ( block of mettle) just to do some little bashing then if ya need like raidiator and belts and fans you got a spare car so might aswell take it off that.! hopefully this has helped you!!