Rev Limit at 3000

ok i have a problem with my 2003 Corolla Levin, yesterday when i was leaving work my car wouldnt rev to over 3000. The ecu seems to be stopping the fuel from getting to the engine at 3000, so i have no power. I took the car to Toyota, and they said that because the guy who used to own the car did some mod work to the car, they wont touch it. I bought the car from them, and was under the impression that my car would be covered with the 3 year manufacturers warranty I bought. But what i wasnt told was that the warranty didnt cover the mods, and whats more, the guy did his own wiring directly to the ecu.

Ok now back to my problem, I have an Apexi S-AFC2 (super air flow converter). The car was fine yesterday morning while on the way to work, while on my break I was going through the Apexi S-AFC2, Now i dont think i changed anything, but after work the car wouldnt run right. Its too much of a coincidence for the 2 things not to be related, has anybody has the same or similar issues?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I've had the limp home mode kick in before. Is there an engine light coming on on the dash? If so have someone other than Toyota, since they don't want to know you, scan for the code. I don't know which workshops use the OBDII scanners, but Kmart, Jaxx, Auto Leader and Midas spring to mind. If you don't have the check engine light, try resetting the ECU and see how that goes.

Edited by SuperDave

Is there a way to turn the SAFC off??

If you can, after that just reset your ecu and clear the CEL.

Im not sure how to turn the safc off, id rather not try. Just in the off chance that it F&^ks up my car.

I've had the limp home mode kick in before. Is there an engine light coming on on the dash? If so have someone other than Toyota, since they don't want to know you, scan for the code. I don't know which workshops use the OBDII scanners, but Kmart, Jaxx, Auto Leader and Midas spring to mind. If you don't have the check engine light, try resetting the ECU and see how that goes.

Yeah I have the engine check light on, cheers for the possible places to check out the car, Im going to a mate of my boss who is supposed to be pretty good at sorting stuff like this out. So if that doesnt work ill go to one of the guys you suggested.

Cheers again guys.

looks like the guy u bought it off used a cheap ebay resistor to trick the MAF sensor....jst try to remove it...bt considering it is if its been fused on i wld go to an auto electrician to remove tht....good luck mate!!

• 3 weeks later...

I took my 03 sportivo to Toyota for the 80k service (478 **** dollars) and the MIL was on and they told me I needed a new o2 sensor - another $410 plus fitting but there was no stock. I told them not to do a **** thing with it and I got another o2 sensor from Autobarn for $110. Now the piece of **** is running in a limp mode - I bought a ELMScan 327 but am having problems clearing the code (it doesnt appear to have logged a code). Is there a quick way of resetting the ECU?