Is this possible

buzz

hi guys,

i am putting in a carputer in my 2 month old corolla hatch. but i am faced with this issue, hope you'se can help...

firstly, the screen position. I am thinking of removing the double din stereo and replacing it with a single din one. the reason being I want to be able to put in a stereo and a motorised 7" screeen in there as well

my issue is that the screens that i am looking at fold out upwards. This means that if i have the screen at the bottom and the stereo on the top, then the stereo will be blocked when the screen is open (i need to be able to operate the volume etc)

if i put the screen on top, then the air con vents will be blocked as they are directly above the unit.

please see this pic to get a better ideapost-5903-1202362006_thumb.jpg

so, my question is...is there a way to do this in my car...

(just need to watch the first and last 10-15 seconds)

will the air con get it the way or will there be enough space? anyone tried something like this or know how much clearance there is under there?

Edited by buzz

is it such a major problem that the air vents will have the screen in front of them by a few cm's ? the other thing is u also shouldnt be driving with the screen on anyway ;)

ur best bet is go 2 a shop like strathfields or autobarn etc and see how the pop out screens actually extend outwards a cm or 2 anyway so when it flips up there should be a gap between the back of the screen and the vents of a cm or 2 ... maybe more. Thats ur best option given u cant us the alternate solution of place the deck anywhere else on the centre console and having an integrated screen.

I have seen 7" single din touch screen units that have in-built AM/FM functions. Im not sure if it played CD's but I know that you could operate some of the functions with the screen folded in. I remember it had RCA outputs to run the audio to an amp.

If you wanted to get the HU to get AM/FM then somthing like this example would be handy.

well considering your dash is so sloped. When u put a single din motorised screen in, u would want it to be in an optimal view for you, so it would be upright, which means it will clear the aircon vents by around 7cm

I have seen 7" single din touch screen units that have in-built AM/FM functions. Im not sure if it played CD's but I know that you could operate some of the functions with the screen folded in. I remember it had RCA outputs to run the audio to an amp.

If you wanted to get the HU to get AM/FM then somthing like this example would be handy.

I have seen those units, but the problem with them is that they do not have vga input for the computer, and the picture looks crap when connected through the normal composite plug. also, i need to be able to use the touch screen as a mouse, which those units cannot do as there is no separate USB for that.

well considering your dash is so sloped. When u put a single din motorised screen in, u would want it to be in an optimal view for you, so it would be upright, which means it will clear the aircon vents by around 7cm

I too have the 10th Gen Corolla but I have opted for the double din Pioneer head unit (AVH-P6850). The dash is at an angle but the driving position compensates for this, so with my unit no angle adjustment is needed.

I have seen those units, but the problem with them is that they do not have vga input for the computer, and the picture looks crap when connected through the normal composite plug. also, i need to be able to use the touch screen as a mouse, which those units cannot do as there is no separate USB for that.

What are the main reasons why you want the head unit? If it is just for sound processing then maybe a 3Sixty.

I too have the 10th Gen Corolla but I have opted for the double din Pioneer head unit (AVH-P6850). The dash is at an angle but the driving position compensates for this, so with my unit no angle adjustment is needed.

What are the main reasons why you want the head unit? If it is just for sound processing then maybe a 3Sixty.

I want the sound from the computer to go through the head unit. This is primarily to control the volume while I am driving. I do not want to be taking my eyes off the road to use the touch screen to control the volume, just need to be able to reach the knob. Also, I'll be connecting the Hu to a couple of amps and a sub, which seems a lot easier than from a comp sound card. Also, a bonus the convenience of knowing that if I feel like just listening to the radio or something, I can get by without actually using the comp

this problem is one of the reasons why i didnt go the carputer route.

best thing you can do is find a carputer with in dash screen (not motorised screen, but an exposed screen in a fixed position -2 din) that can do everything a regular head unit can do straight out of the box... and thats not gonna be cheap.

as for the screen opening up at the flick of the ignition like the mazda in that youtube vid you posted up, it looks as though the screen is located in a large storage compartment on top of the dashboard, which is only able to move cos the guy installed a linear actuator to the actual lid - not the screen. totally different to your corolla dash, which i doubt would be able to provide enough space for an actuator along side/behind your 2din space.

if you are ballzy enough to attempt a custom job like that yourself then good luck to you, but looks as though your only options are to deal with a motorised screen that would cover up your regular 1 din head unit/ airconditioner vents or buy a 2din usb tft touch screen.

dont motorised screens adjustable angles anyway?

this problem is one of the reasons why i didnt go the carputer route.

best thing you can do is find a carputer with in dash screen (not motorised screen, but an exposed screen in a fixed position -2 din) that can do everything a regular head unit can do straight out of the box... and thats not gonna be cheap.

as for the screen opening up at the flick of the ignition like the mazda in that youtube vid you posted up, it looks as though the screen is located in a large storage compartment on top of the dashboard, which is only able to move cos the guy installed a linear actuator to the actual lid - not the screen. totally different to your corolla dash, which i doubt would be able to provide enough space for an actuator along side/behind your 2din space.

if you are ballzy enough to attempt a custom job like that yourself then good luck to you, but looks as though your only options are to deal with a motorised screen that would cover up your regular 1 din head unit/ airconditioner vents or buy a 2din usb tft touch screen.

dont motorised screens adjustable angles anyway?

This is another reason why I decided to get a double din unit and not the the carputer option. I even find it hard to use when driving and imagine having a full operating system. I guess there are programs that can run like a head unit but the touch screen aren't as good in my opinion.

Yes... most moterised screens that I know of do have adjustable angles to suit each application.

Edited by 2ZR - FE