camry wide body 93-97 Head gaskets?

HaydnG

Hi just wondered if any one new of any information about head gasket problems . I was reading on the net that toyota changed the head gasket material (non aspestos) as I have seen a few camry over the 200.000 mark with head gasket problems I do know that they like to have good coolant in them which is a must with alumium heads and cast blocks

But just wondered if any one new any more . I do know that toyota had warranty on head gasket replacement in the usa during the early 90s but not sure which models

Haydn

Edited by HaydnG

• 2 weeks later...
Hi just wondered if any one new of any information about head gasket problems . I was reading on the net that toyota changed the head gasket material (non aspestos) as I have seen a few camry over the 200.000 mark with head gasket problems I do know that they like to have good coolant in them which is a must with alumium heads and cast blocks
But just wondered if any one new any more . I do know that toyota had warranty on head gasket replacement in the usa during the early 90s but not sure which models

Haydn

Seems to be a weak link on these 10 yr car with say 200k plus...

Simple enough to remove and have pressure tested, for hardenss and straightness as well...

only take the troubled head of, naturally...

then replace as you would any other alloy head motor... heaps of data on net for diy re: timing belt and tensions etc..

Since it is common, seems a good way to pick up a bargain, once repaired you know what u got,

all fresh and clean to go.. not bad and it's just nuts and bolts if your familiar with that sort of thing, it's doable.

Care with cleaning out ALL fine alloy particles after head shave if water jacket has to be welded...

My radiator was 80% blocked...10K after head job with alloy particles caused to re-heat..

lets us know progress, I interested.

Haydn

Seems to be a weak link on these 10 yr car with say 200k plus...

Simple enough to remove and have pressure tested, for hardenss and straightness as well...

only take the troubled head of, naturally...

then replace as you would any other alloy head motor... heaps of data on net for diy re: timing belt and tensions etc..

Since it is common, seems a good way to pick up a bargain, once repaired you know what u got,

all fresh and clean to go.. not bad and it's just nuts and bolts if your familiar with that sort of thing, it's doable.

Care with cleaning out ALL fine alloy particles after head shave if water jacket has to be welded...

My radiator was 80% blocked...10K after head job with alloy particles caused to re-heat..

lets us know progress, I interested.

Yes its a good way to pick up a bargain I did my sons 94 wagon (blown head gasket and slipped in reverse slightly)that way but I put in a motor and trans 95.000klms in his car as the original wasnt serviced properly anyway ( I usally drain the diff in these cars and that tells me straight away also if no coolant.When buying a motor , the motor has to still be in the car and I make sure its got toyota coolant in it if not I wont buy it, and a good look around to see if the car has been properly serviced as far as I was concerned. I recenltly picked up a 95 wagon gsx with a blown head gasket its done 230.00 klms no coolant .I bought a 96 model car with a rear quarter pushed in with 115.00klms I am going to put that motor and trans in the wagon as it was serviced properly at toyota it belonged to a older guy from new so if you know any one that wants any parts I have a complete car with no dents not one mark in the front and three dentless doors, Drivers side rear door was slightly damaged , perfect inside as well csi trim. The car was parked on the street at his daughters home and some drunk hit the rear quarter and hit the RH rear wheel thats where all the damage is . The dog leg at the rear guard hit the rear drivers door slightly fixable

HaydnG

Yes its a good way to pick up a bargain I did my sons 94 wagon (blown head gasket and slipped in reverse slightly)that way but I put in a motor and trans 95.000klms in his car as the original wasnt serviced properly anyway ( I usally drain the diff in these cars and that tells me straight away also if no coolant.When buying a motor , the motor has to still be in the car and I make sure its got toyota coolant in it if not I wont buy it, and a good look around to see if the car has been properly serviced as far as I was concerned. I recenltly picked up a 95 wagon gsx with a blown head gasket its done 230.00 klms no coolant .I bought a 96 model car with a rear quarter pushed in with 115.00klms I am going to put that motor and trans in the wagon as it was serviced properly at toyota it belonged to a older guy from new so if you know any one that wants any parts I have a complete car with no dents not one mark in the front and three dentless doors, Drivers side rear door was slightly damaged , perfect inside as well csi trim. The car was parked on the street at his daughters home and some drunk hit the rear quarter and hit the RH rear wheel thats where all the damage is . The dog leg at the rear guard hit the rear drivers door slightly fixable

HaydnG

absolutely and thanks for the offer of free parts... :)

what are are you from?...I need both near side (passenger) doors... you haven't got a spray painter in the system have you, mines white...or I could paint them myself, but not really set up to go, but hey it wouldn't take much...

Your advice on picking engines is very good, and strategy of buying damaged and then swapping / fix to value add is also spot on...

it's great to 'build' your own car and use your skills, I'm a bit the same way & toyota seem so easy to work on...

You're strong on the ome coolant, is that to be carefull and tells a story about the service history

or is it better than the generic stuff, and how can u tell just by looking...

Every dollar is worth a dollar, nothing clever about spending money, any clown can do that...

and the shopkeeper will never give it back...

From what I understand, you can unbolt the front sub chassis and drop the whole unit out...

lift the body off the the brive unit intact by just releasing a few bolts / shafts and connections...

if you got the head room or a hoist...

Boy would I love to have a hoist in my garage...

These drunks are sure a pest, pity our young get hooked on the poison... give me normal anyday.

Anyway, great to hear the way u go about it...

please keep us informed, well done...

joking about the 'free'..