Project El Cheapo III.T

RME1

wow you found a manual one!

That wasn't the hardest part. It was price and condition. Some dude asked for $3000 - and that was AUTO. WTF? :ph34r:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Half cut came in on Monday. Good condition.

We made a DIY bush mechanic spec half pallet half cut mover. $50 worth of wheels. Pallet = free.

This weekend is the install.

Budget is edging towards the heavier side of 2.8k. >_<. The accessories are adding up. These include things such as:

-Dump pipe

-Exhaust

- Oils and filters

- Pumps

I want to find an engine cover off a landcruiser/camry to make that DIY intercooler mod. Unfortunately I'm having a bit of a rough time finding one :( BOOO

The joys of Ebay! :D

540e_1.JPG

Subaru Liberty Engine Cover

Look at the grill spec :D Hopefully we can put our creative minds together and get a pipping thing going on to the grill :D

Ebay Spec Dump Pipe

Aus ebay = 120

US Ebay = 100. I made an offer....Maybe I could of gotten more off?

Edited by RME1

Quick Updates with photos.

DIY Nascar:

2926623_65_full.jpg

The rubber trial fit. We used two pieces at first, but then found out we could use one - We made them bend by boiling them in water. Bush mechanic styles!

2926623_66_full.jpg

There is some mesh there as well, I think the shot was a bit too far. Sorry about that dodgy camera work. Can you see the silver funnel on the passenger side? :D Hopefully it will do a world of good for the turbo conversion.

2926623_67_full.jpg

Front Strut bar on rear - Dunno how it works, but it does.

2926623_68_full.jpg

Paseo Seats

Deep dish wheel (OMP copy)

Tom's handbrake cover

Toyota Sportivo Gear knob

2926623_69_full.jpg

DIY Half pallet Engine trolley FTW!

Quick Updates with photos.

DIY Nascar:

2926623_65_full.jpg

The rubber trial fit. We used two pieces at first, but then found out we could use one - We made them bend by boiling them in water. Bush mechanic styles!

2926623_66_full.jpg

There is some mesh there as well, I think the shot was a bit too far. Sorry about that dodgy camera work. Can you see the silver funnel on the passenger side? :D Hopefully it will do a world of good for the turbo conversion.

2926623_67_full.jpg

Front Strut bar on rear - Dunno how it works, but it does.

2926623_68_full.jpg

Paseo Seats

Deep dish wheel (OMP copy)

Tom's handbrake cover

Toyota Sportivo Gear knob

2926623_69_full.jpg

DIY Half pallet Engine trolley FTW!

omg ur crazy jules

power/weight will be amazing :) let us know how she goes!

maybe take out more seats and the spare wheel, door trims :) hahaha...

do i sniff a roll cage in the future too?? hahahah

anyhoo keep it up..i wanna hear how it goes on the weekend

Thank you cousin. I'm looking forward to the install process too.

Quick update:

Tonight we removed the airbox, intercooler, headlight and radiator to ease the process of engine swapping this weekend. Only took 30mins. Quicker than expected. Will be buying oils etc. on the weekend :D

Day one. 5 Hours.

Engines out of half cut and EP91.

Drained oils and new clutch in.

Day Two. 7 Hours.

4EFTE in.

Both interior and exterior loom out of Halfcut

Exterior loom out of EP91.

4EFTE engine loom in EP91.

We flaffed around on day two with regards to thinking about splicing vs. Loom transplants, and decided the latter, due to the fact that we wanted the EP82 dual boost-a-ma-tronics to work. The EPGT has a stock hi/lo boost setting :D

Things we could of done better:

Less flaffing around. - Could of worked on the looms earlier :(

Tomorrow night. Interior loom.

The original cluster, a/c surround, radio and glove box are out already, just need to remove the dash...without breaking it. >_<

Edited by RME1

Mighty words MR Tee! THank you for the boost of confidence - It is freezing here in Newy at night time. I'm going to buy some hostage lamps to warm us up and also provide better lighting.

At the moment we are using a single study light between two of us to do the wiring, filling up of oils and other random stuff. It's quite amusing.

Hostage lamps = Flood lit lamps. *Reference: Assualt on Precint 13, and any other hostage situation where the bad guys are holed up in a house and the cops use those massive F/Off lights? $20 @ Super cheap!!

We didn't end up getting the genuine replacement parts in time for the half cut, so we had to use non-OEM. >_<

Waiting on OEM:

- waterpump

- Timing belt. (Currently the car is at 93,000 @ Odometer...so we shouldn't be too worried).

Fellow modding partner in crime believes that we can DIY all those things, so fingers crossed when that happens - probably after at least 5,000km's (i.e. 2/3 months...also the time period for track day! )

Edited by RME1

:D You never know MT, I might just take you up on that.

Update:

Night three. 3 Hours.

Engine loom is complete and we've rewired the side indicators. Now we have a problem. THe bonnet will not close properly due to the top mount intercooler. What a shame. It seems we may need to go bush mechanic once more and cut the support cross member of the bonnet? I guess we could use the same clark rubber style protectors to hide any fact that we've bush mechanic'd it. It is either that of cut a complete hole in my bonnet where the intercooler sits. EVO EP91. :) ...alas, that would be rice, but functional. Not ninja at all. :(

We worked on getting the interior loom out after dinner. It was freezing. Once we got it all out it was about knock off time (10:20). Unfortunately I think our spirits were a bit low due to the fact that we were thinking the car could be started tonight. Soldier on tomorrow.

wrx scoop FTW!

Lol Angelo how could he call his car a ninja with a huge 2ft bird catcher on his front bonnnet?

gt4.jpg

Yes it is from Intial D. >_< Such a ricer.

I'm so tempted to get an AXE and bush mechanic out an EVO/Celica GT4 style TMIC hole in the bonnet. Just to let out my frustrations a little bit. But no. Haven't gone that far as yet. Or I could just mallet the crap out of the bonnet.

This dude didn't mallet the bonnet - he fibre glassed the bugle on.

newdawn_01.jpg

I can't be stuffed factoring in a FMIC as it will bust my balls with the budget. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't got the dough, but if I don't stick to the budget now, what are the chances of sticking to budgets for THE BOX in the future?

... i..e Oh yeah, I can buy that turbo...and that dump pipe...and that BOV, and that MANIFOLD...and this Rice CF that cost $50,000...etc.etc.

Subaru on Fire - Heat soak. This dude actually wrapped his turbo in some protective cloth - Turbo = hot = fire = GONE. Death is optional. Shot gun CF rear boot to act as a Roof for the EP91 :D

wrx_fire01.jpg

There are rubber grommits on the TMIC housing which can be removed to gain a few extra CM's. Some mallet Love will then increase that extra CM to give us a clearing for the bonnet. This will be done later as we have other concerns at this minute:

1. Wiring - What a shambles. It seems a lot of EP91 owners have had transplants, but don't document their DIY's. And when it is DIY'ed, the interior wiring is clearly understated. There was a DIY that included 'going to an autoelectrian' - is that really a DIY, then?

2. Fuel pump. (see wiring)

3. Indicator stalks (see wiring) - EP82 indicators don't line up with EP91. The brackets are wielded onto the steering column. (see wiring)

4. Drive. Team Bush mechanic also have Full time work + other commitments. We WILL PREVAIL.

My mate in crime wired most things up when I got to his place after work (Army). It was late, cold and for a spirit booster, we decided to give the engine a whirl. :( Unfortunately no love. However, the starter motor is giving it a read hot go, thumping noises - but no cranking over. We presume this must do with the wiring. It looks like a mess, but with a fresh set of eyes, a feed and determination, I am sure we can be successful.

At this point I am budgeting in an Autoelectrian. He/she will bust the budget above 3k. He/She will be last resort, as we bush mechanics are stubborn and things can be fixed with a hammer.

WE WILL PREVAIL.

Edited by RME1

LMFAOROFL, burnt WRX = Epic Fail

Mate you are an inspiration, stay strong I'm sure you will find a way to fix all those issues - and yes there isn't enough documentation on wiring for the GT Starlets. I trust you have tired scouring/PMing austarletclub.com for some love? Good luck!

GO YOU!!! This is awesome.. now when u do drive that beast down the street.. u will feel very proud as it was the result of countless hours of hardwork!!

wrx scoop FTW!

Lol Angelo how could he call his car a ninja with a huge 2ft bird catcher on his front bonnnet?

:ph34r: will look more ninja with the rex scoop.. needs to get some fresh air strait on the top mount, what better way to do it :D

Edited by $ANGELO$

wrx scoop FTW!

:ph34r: will look more ninja with the rex scoop.. needs to get some fresh air strait on the top mount, what better way to do it :D

Hahah lets just let RME decide shall we - you argumentative f*ck :)

wrx scoop FTW!

Hahah lets just let RME decide shall we - you argumentative f*ck :)

BAHAHAHA! I went ninja spec and used a hammer. The bonnet closes, but the TMIC is touching slightly. It is a write off TMIC anyway, we'll go RX7 FC TMIC a while later - it is already sitting in the 'inventory room'. :toast:

IT IS ALIVE!! A_L_I_V_E!!!!

Update:

- Fiddle around with wires. Turn key. Gurggling. Puffing Coughing. SMOKE! :toast:

"OMFG there is smoke! Keep cranking it!!" :spiteful: *whilst getting high on toxic smoke*

Then Nothing. FIddle with more wires. Same thing. Then we went backwards and rewired the wires we thought were not the fuel pump and tried again. Cough. Cough. Puff.. VROOOM YA MF'ers! WAKE UP THE WHOLE NEIGHBOURHOOD

Excited about the prospect of actually getting her on the road again, we work feverishly to get the electrics in order.

The only problems we face are the ones that mean we can't drive her on the road. <_<

1. Indicator lights. (major)

2. Reverse Lights (major)

3. Interior light (minor).

Haven't bothered with radio, fan, ac, heater etc. Bare essentials first. :ph34r:

Fingers crossed that we can get the indicators working. The interior is a mess. My fellow bush mechanic has a dog, and during the night whilst we were working on the engine, the dog did a ninja attack and fell asleep on the driver side seat. T__T Hair everywhere. So we get the dog off the seat (yes they are comforatable paseo seats) .... a while later, we spot him sleeping on the Passenger side seat.... :angry: Frikkin' dog, the least he could of done is the internal wiring. :whistling:

Something came in the mail for me as well. Could be:

1. Dump pipe

2. Subaru Engine cover

3. Rice lights that arn't HIDs

Project El Cheapo III.T: On the road soon.

Thanks for the kind comments mate :D Your not too bad yourself! You can rule half of Oz (i.e. the West), and i'll have the East. We'll leave a spot for a South Aus dude/dudet to claim that spot.

2926623_70_full.jpg

Went for celerbratory drive. Went to good old Jackers. Had meal. Some dudes in Magna were parked next to us.

Start up:

(VROOOMMMMMMm......IDLE....POP POP.....VRRRRR Insert rally noises *here* )

Dudes in Magna: WTF!? :shock:

Me and mate: :D (Easy left onward crest, medium right, hard left...*random childish rally comments)

It sounds about as loud as Bill's (XOOM's) car...except with only an eigth of the power LOL!

The wheel tread on the CSA Honets are worn to almost the canvas - i.e. there is no such thing as tread. So they are basically slicks. - must of been the camber from the Teins, or my driving. Although they have lasted a track day from November a long drive from Melb to Newy. They have served me well. :whistling:

2926623_73_full.jpg

So I picked up a set of Mazda Eunos rims from a bunch of suspect looking guys who happen to be living right next door to a tire place :roll: Anyway, they are 215 x 60 x 15. Fat.

2926623_74_full.jpg

2926623_75_full.jpg

I thought the rims would look crap, but after staring at this picture for a while, they have grown on me. Weekend jobs are the following:

- Find demister

- Find heater

- Find interior light

- The fuel gauge doesn't work. SO i'll have to rely on ninja senses.

Could we trace the wire colours back to the original EP91 ECU perhaps? Who knows. She drives. I'm stoked.

Edited by RME1