Tire pressure

Kruzenvax

Tyre's are meant to be checked and reduced before the car is delivered in the predelivery schedule from Toyota....told info by a Toyota Mechanic friend

That's pretty pathetic delivery serivice I got then. you'd think dealerships would just have deflater devices set to the right preasure and it would be the first thing they do when they prepare to deliver a new car.

It got it's 1,000km check up today. The service guy also seemed pretty surprised. He recommended 36-40psi for that car.

They all come inflated between 42-50 from factory.

At Pre-Delivery they must all be adjusted to recomended pressure.

But,like in any job,some technician had a bad day.................

Or maybe 3 bad days.

All 3 of my Klugers came with high pressures. I set my pressures with a gauge every week on all my cars, so it wasn't a big problem.

I also tell Toyota not to set my pressures when I have service as they would never be able to check them cold as I do.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe 3 bad days.

All 3 of my Klugers came with high pressures. I set my pressures with a gauge every week on all my cars, so it wasn't a big problem.

I also tell Toyota not to set my pressures when I have service as they would never be able to check them cold as I do.

I think the dealer technicians are smoking pot at work judging by the trend evident in this thread. What preasure do you set your tyres at every week Mikeyboy?

Or maybe 3 bad days.

I think the dealer technicians are smoking pot at work judging by the trend evident in this thread. What preasure do you set your tyres at every week Mikeyboy?

38psi on the Grande (Bridgstones). 36psi on the KX-R (Dunlops).

I only check the spare every month or 2, or if I'm going on a long trip. I just wind it down near the ground, I don't take it out.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up my new Kluger Grande and I noticed that the tyres are over inflated - 50 PSI! I've read the safety advice on the tyre and the tyre's maximum recommended tyre inflation pressure is 44 PSI.

The manual recommends 32 PSI and I set all tyres on 35 PSI. The driving was much more comfortable particularly over bumps or potholes.

I filled the tank with BP Ultimate (98 octane) and I have to say that I am more than happy with the consumption of 12 ltr/100 km. This was based on the first a few hundred kilometres of city driving.

Edited by Gorry

• 2 months later...
I don't think it is because air absorbing heat. Instead with more air inside tyre is more ridged thus less distortion while rolling, therefore less heat generated.

That is the reason I keep forgeting too. I forgot we have high profile tyres :rolleyes:. But the casing is much stronger and can get rid of heat more, so it can tolerate lower pressure but I really don't want to risk it. Have a cushion or something to get myself comfortable.

Holiday season coming up, if anyone going away (like us), should do an once-over (eye ball all fluid levels and check tyres for puncture) before setting off, since there will be a queue at tyre shops just before Easter. And Victorians have a long weekend coming up too.

Actually more air in the tyre does help to cool it. The reason is that the air transfers the heat generated by the side wall to the wheel which is cooled by the wind. You will notice that when you stop on the highway, the wheels are pretty warm/hot though you have not applied break heavily.

We are running 40 psi in our Kluger with 22 inch rims (can't recall exact tyre profile after a few beers...) almost 20000kms and no noticeable wear patterns so all in all happy at 40. I definitely notice the bumps in the road but the Kluger feels responsive and very grippy in all situations so far.