Tire pressure

Kruzenvax

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have those TPMs (Tyre preasure monitors)? Are they worth it? I was just thinking it would be hancy not to have to check the tyre presure all the time.

I've noticed that all the Toyota SUV/4WD except Kluger have the option of a TPMS. Surely this should be available on the Kluger? Does anyone know if it can be fitted to a Kluger?

DOnt get them through toyota, i believe i saw them advertised at bselect or some dedicated tyre place for couple hundred less... same unit!

I just check it about every 2 weeks, handy with your own air compressor and accurate gauge:) and do it cold, not after a long run.

I like to drive them at 38psi, 40psi if I go interstate. It is just the best pressures I found on firmer pressures. The car is much more responsive but it is much harsher ride though (a comprise).

Edited by Taka

• 3 weeks later...
Prados are set to 50PSI from Japan :)

Well, my KX-S has just done 950Km. I checked the tyre pressure for the first time tonight. Probably drove about 4km to the servo and the road was wet so the tyre temperature should have been pretty low. They certainly weren't hot to touch. Every tyre was 50psi (345Kpa)! I set them all to 40psi and then went to the next servo a few hundred metres away to make sure the first one was't faulty. Sure enough it was spot on 40psi (what I had just deflated them to at the first servo).

Does the Kluger come from the factory with 50psi or did the dealer do that? Pretty weired that every tyre was spot on 50psi. Perhaps the dealer puts it at 50psi for the first 1,000km for some reason??

On the other hand, it was built in Japan in November and complianced in December. It can get pretty cold in Japan in November/December so maybe the factory put in 40psi when it was really cold??? Could a 30 degree temperature difference equate to 10psi extra.

Anyway, I'll ask the dealer when it goes in for the 1,000k checkup next week.

PS

I've checked a few sites and it seems that we can safely ignore Owner's Manual recommended tyre preasure and use the maximum tyer side wall preasure instead for best performance, wear and fuel economy. I assume this would be 50psi since that's how it came from the factory.

For comfort, lower preasure, but not less than that recommended in the Owner's Manual (31psi, 33psi, front/rear).

http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp...19&id=27281

Lots of other info out there on google. One interesting tidbit.. Those with KX-R 17 inch tyres actually have the same grip (assuming same compound tyres) as the KX-S 19 inch tyres. That's all thanks to the 2nd Law of Friction. 19 inch tyres should just give longer wear, or better grip only if the tyre uses a softer compound.

http://stevemunden.com/friction.html

http://www.stle.org/resources/lubelearn/fr...on/default.aspx

I think I'll set mine at 44psi since I do want some comfort. (set them to 100psi for going on 2 wheels)

The information that I've come across seems to suggest that larger vehicles like SUVs need considerably higher tire preasure. So we probably shouldn't be putting in just 35psi like those driving around in a corolla.

Edited by Colonel

Anyone have those TPMs (Tyre preasure monitors)? Are they worth it? I was just thinking it would be hancy not to have to check the tyre presure all the time.

I've noticed that all the Toyota SUV/4WD except Kluger have the option of a TPMS. Surely this should be available on the Kluger? Does anyone know if it can be fitted to a Kluger?

It is available now for Kluger (genuine) !!!!!!!!!!!

Well, my KX-S has just done 950Km. I checked the tyre pressure for the first time tonight. Probably drove about 4km to the servo and the road was wet so the tyre temperature should have been pretty low. They certainly weren't hot to touch. Every tyre was 50psi (345Kpa)! I set them all to 40psi and then went to the next servo a few hundred metres away to make sure the first one was't faulty. Sure enough it was spot on 40psi (what I had just deflated them to at the first servo).

Does the Kluger come from the factory with 50psi or did the dealer do that? Pretty weired that every tyre was spot on 50psi. Perhaps the dealer puts it at 50psi for the first 1,000km for some reason??

On the other hand, it was built in Japan in November and complianced in December. It can get pretty cold in Japan in November/December so maybe the factory put in 40psi when it was really cold??? Could a 30 degree temperature difference equate to 10psi extra.

Pretty sure I mentioned this before, imported cars have their tyre pressures set ridiculously high so that the tyres don't flat-spot in transit and when they sit at the docks. Usually the dealer should drop them down to a road-worthy pressure before they leave the showroom floor, but obviously some miss this.

Pretty sure I mentioned this before, imported cars have their tyre pressures set ridiculously high so that the tyres don't flat-spot in transit and when they sit at the docks.

Now I remember reading that. Well, today I set the preasure to 44psi (the tire rating). 50psi is over inflated.

Edited by Colonel

I set mine at 38-40psi, but still getting unacceptable front left wheel wear.

A bit more preasure might fix it. Lower preasure allows the tires to deform and the contact patch to move onto the sides more in turns. If you turn a lot the this will create more wear on the outsides of the tires.

If anyone has access to a race track it would be good if they could do a performance comparison, say, 35, 40, 44psi. Obviously the ideal preasure for the KX-R would be different to the KX-S as they have completely different tires and rims.

Edited by Colonel

$495 RRP

$622 RRP fitted

check Toyota web site

Checked under Accessories - couldn't find. Which section?

Thanks

UPD: There's one for Landcruiser/Prado: perhaps Kluger's is the same (Kluger's list may not be updated with it yet).

Edited by Kruzenvax

$495 RRP

$622 RRP fitted

check Toyota web site

Checked under Accessories - couldn't find. Which section?

Thanks

UPD: There's one for Landcruiser/Prado: perhaps Kluger's is the same (Kluger's list may not be updated with it yet).

Not on site yet.

Same unit.

Harness and bracket is probably different,i'm waiting on manual with fitting position.......dont know where it gets fitted on Kluger.

I done some LC200 and Prado's and they work well and dont give false warnings like some cheaper aftermarket ones.

Not on site yet.

Same unit.

Harness and bracket is probably different,i'm waiting on manual with fitting position.......dont know where it gets fitted on Kluger.

I done some LC200 and Prado's and they work well and dont give false warnings like some cheaper aftermarket ones.

Thanks for the info. That is great I was waiting for something like this (e.g. actual accurate readings not those ones that just signal when the tyre in punctured only) for a while.

I wonder how does it affect tires - e.g. is it fitted to existing ones, what happens when I replace one tyre (or all of them), does iy affect normal service by people like tyrepower, etc. Btw, how are these sensors inside the tires powered (don't like to change tyres because of a flat battery in a sensor)

It would be great if you would kindly clarify that.

Thanks

Not on site yet.

Same unit.

Thanks for the info. That is great I was waiting for something like this (e.g. actual accurate readings not those ones that just signal when the tyre in punctured only) for a while.

I wonder how does it affect tires - e.g. is it fitted to existing ones, what happens when I replace one tyre (or all of them), does iy affect normal service by people like tyrepower, etc. Btw, how are these sensors inside the tires powered (don't like to change tyres because of a flat battery in a sensor)

Thanks

I have seen Kluger TPMS today.

Display gets mounted on mid console,between shifter and snow/hill descent button.

Sensors/valves replace egzisting valves.......any tyre shop can do it and dont affect any tyre change/repair/service.

Sensors batteries last longer then normal tyres do.

Not on site yet.

Same unit.

Thanks

Display gets mounted on mid console,between shifter and snow/hill descent button.

Sensors/valves replace egzisting valves.......any tyre shop can do it and dont affect any tyre change/repair/service.

Is it for the 5 tyres?

I thought I had seen somewhere on a US site that the pressures were displayed on the multi-function display; it could have been a different car. That would be more useful as the display really is underutilsed.

Is it for the 5 tyres?

I thought I had seen somewhere on a US site that the pressures were displayed on the multi-function display; it could have been a different car. That would be more useful as the display really is underutilsed.

If this the same unit as used in Prado's and LC's - the picture of the monitor on the website suggest it is for 5 tires. I agree, MFD would be better for that, but of not possible I'd go along with the design available.

Thanks CroToy

Pretty sure I mentioned this before, imported cars have their tyre pressures set ridiculously high so that the tyres don't flat-spot in transit and when they sit at the docks. Usually the dealer should drop them down to a road-worthy pressure before they leave the showroom floor, but obviously some miss this.

Tyre's are meant to be checked and reduced before the car is delivered in the predelivery schedule from Toyota....told info by a Toyota Mechanic friend

Tyre's are meant to be checked and reduced before the car is delivered in the predelivery schedule from Toyota....told info by a Toyota Mechanic friend

That's pretty pathetic delivery serivice I got then. you'd think dealerships would just have deflater devices set to the right preasure and it would be the first thing they do when they prepare to deliver a new car.

It got it's 1,000km check up today. The service guy also seemed pretty surprised. He recommended 36-40psi for that car.

Is it for the 5 tyres?

If this the same unit as used in Prado's and LC's - the picture of the monitor on the website suggest it is for 5 tires. I agree, MFD would be better for that, but of not possible I'd go along with the design available.

iTS SAME UNIT.

5 TYRES.

That's pretty pathetic delivery serivice I got then. you'd think dealerships would just have deflater devices set to the right preasure and it would be the first thing they do when they prepare to deliver a new car.

It got it's 1,000km check up today. The service guy also seemed pretty surprised. He recommended 36-40psi for that car.

They all come inflated between 42-50 from factory.

At Pre-Delivery they must all be adjusted to recomended pressure.

But,like in any job,some technician had a bad day.................