New Kluger but 07 badge.. thoughts?

Scott_C

Hi all, bit of a long story, we have choice of waiting nearly 3 months for a brand new Kluger from the factory or we can take one thats in the yard right now.

The problem is, the one in the yard has an 07 build date on it, a hundred ks or so on the clock, a very small scratch, and lots of dust in it. (Its at a regional dealer and sits in the lot all day with the tailgate and bonnet open)

How much does a vehicle with an 07 build date factor in to the price do you think? Should we be asking for a 3k discount or something?

Im concerned that if we sell in a few years, the car is already 4 years old not 3, going by the 07 plate on it. Do you think this will de-value the car by much?

Red book value already list the new style Kluger 2007 (my model KXR etc) for $32,100 - $35,100 :blink: (lists at $39990 for new 2008 model)

Our dealer has already hinted that he might not be able to do much with the price on this car compared to the new one coming in. So I pointed out that there's no advantage to me picking up a "shop-soiled" model except that I would have it sooner.

What do you think?

Hi all, bit of a long story, we have choice of waiting nearly 3 months for a brand new Kluger from the factory or we can take one thats in the yard right now.

The problem is, the one in the yard has an 07 build date on it, a hundred ks or so on the clock, a very small scratch, and lots of dust in it. (Its at a regional dealer and sits in the lot all day with the tailgate and bonnet open)

How much does a vehicle with an 07 build date factor in to the price do you think? Should we be asking for a 3k discount or something?

Im concerned that if we sell in a few years, the car is already 4 years old not 3, going by the 07 plate on it. Do you think this will de-value the car by much?

Red book value already list the new style Kluger 2007 (my model KXR etc) for $32,100 - $35,100 :blink: (lists at $39990 for new 2008 model)

Our dealer has already hinted that he might not be able to do much with the price on this car compared to the new one coming in. So I pointed out that there's no advantage to me picking up a "shop-soiled" model except that I would have it sooner.

What do you think?

As you have pointed out, an 07 plated car is already one year old. If you bought it it would be worth about $8000-$10000 less than an 08 build. I certainly would not entertain it for less than $6000 off the new car price. I just took delivery of a Kluger Grande AWD, the dealer quoted 6 weeks delivery. They delivered it in 3 weeks. So providing you are flexible about the colour and configuration I am sure you could get one in less than a few weeks.

I recently took possession of an '07 plated KXR with 9,000 kays on the clock.

We got ours with 7 seats, a towbar, 4 months rego, headlight protectors, mats, front and rear parking sensors and all on roads. Had we purchased it new it would have set me back nearly $49,000.

I paid $38,500.

I'm not really concerned about resale value as I go through a new car once every 6 to 10 years. I had a price that I wanted to pay and a new one simply wasn't going to fit into that price.

If you want to save the money, then go for it. It'll let you buy extra bits you might want. If money isn't an issue, then wait for the new one.

100% agree. Same story here - 6-7 weeks promise, 3 delivery. Yes, it as Grande AWS as well, but 3 month seems excessive for any model. I suggest you go for a 2008 car, indicate you are NOT taking a "demo" model (that's how would I call that car) and ask to put a reasonable delivery time (say 8 weeks max) on a contract. I'd guess how long would it take for a dealr to back away from 12 weeks. And if he insists... go for another dealer.

Inless the car is alreafdy dscounted heavily - but 3k is not good enough IMHO... and the dealer should offer the discount 1st.

I had the same story... didnlt realise 1st why the dealer is pressing hard for a demo when he can sell a new car; then he admitted that they pay interest on demo cars. Needless to say got my 08 car from a different one, no dramas.

As you have pointed out, an 07 plated car is already one year old. If you bought it it would be worth about $8000-$10000 less than an 08 build. I certainly would not entertain it for less than $6000 off the new car price. I just took delivery of a Kluger Grande AWD, the dealer quoted 6 weeks delivery. They delivered it in 3 weeks. So providing you are flexible about the colour and configuration I am sure you could get one in less than a few weeks.
Edited by Kruzenvax

Thanks for the replies. Ive negotiated my deal; KXR, 5 seat, with mats, cargo mat, bonnet protector, nudge bar, front and rear sensors - $41,400

Thats on an 08 model.

My dealer seems to vacillate between; "Of course, the 07 model can be done cheaper for you" to; "I dont think we can discount it, Id have to check with the boss"

Im prepared to take the 07 model if a serious discount (further to the existing deal) is in order.

I guess im just trying to gauge what kind of 'further discount' is reasonable.

I posted this comment elsewhere on this site, but it's starting to smell a little bit like this:

"I've heard of dealers quoting prices and signing contracts, only to continually tell customers that their car is still on order. In the mean time, the customer (thinking they got a bargain) sends a couple of other buyers in the direction of the dealer."

Now it seems that they are also going to try the old "Can't get your car for a while, but I have this great demo that we haven't been able to flog off" trick on you aswell!

I'd even say "Don't want to get a new car till I get rid of thsi demo, that we haven't been able to flog off, but we are paying for".

And as soon is the buyer mentiones the possibility of buying the demo model the little greed indicator inside turns amber and here comes the story "can't discount much, got to ask boss" :angry:

Now it seems that they are also going to try the old "Can't get your car for a while, but I have this great demo that we haven't been able to flog off" trick on you aswell!

"can't discount much, got to ask boss" :angry:

And they all use that one... you'd think they'd get a new line. There's two ways around it. You can either:

a) Tell them that when they manage to sort something out to ring you, or:

B) Ask to deal with the boss directly, since the salesman has no idea what is going on...

True, but I don't deal with that kind of dealers anymore :whistling:

My preferred trick is when I'm looking at a car with the missus I ask about colours and what interior would match, etc, while she asks about towing capacity and bluetooth connection... works magic on them.

And they all use that one... you'd think they'd get a new line. There's two ways around it. You can either:

a) Tell them that when they manage to sort something out to ring you, or:

B) Ask to deal with the boss directly, since the salesman has no idea what is going on...

I would rather get a new car.

Even it is only have less than 1000km in it. It is still old and should not have to pay for anything near new car price I am sorry.

My mate's Aston Martin has 1900km on the clock so far and only just 10 months old. He expects to lose $70K when he sells it from brand new.

I would absolutely scream at a dealer (and refuse to take the car) if my new car is more than 50km in the odometer. My last 3 cars there was only 38km, 13km and 5km respectively when I picked it up.

Thanks guys. Yeah, my dealer told me that any car with less than 5000ks on the clock is still a new car (I swear Im not making this up)

Id like to hold out for a new one, I think the Green is quite rare, perhaps if I change colour we could get something sooner. (They're saying end of May for our order)