Smart Start system on the Grande

rzkman

For me, it works about 80% of the time. For the other 20% I look like a bloody idiot trying to rip the door handle off because it hasn't unlocked itself...very annoying actually. Sometimes I find this happens even when I have the remote in my hand the smart entry will not work. I have to press the unlock on the remote before I can get in @$@#!

I suspect it could be radio interference depending on where I park. With my inlaws Kluger V1, whenever I parked at the local Coles, the remote on it would never work. Even tried pressing it under the wheel arch didn't work! Always had to use the key to open the door.

2 things when the handle does not work.

1) Do you have another key near by or in the car. It will not work.

2) hold the back of handle and wait the beep to take place. And do not wear gloves when you do so :P

2 things when the handle does not work.

1) Do you have another key near by or in the car. It will not work.

2) hold the back of handle and wait the beep to take place. And do not wear gloves when you do so :P

No, I was by myself.

I wasn't wearing gloves and tried pulling the handle twice before I gave up.

You mean it works close to 100% for you? Might have to speak to the service ppl if that is the case....let me drive back to the place around the corner where it failed today..see if it is radio interference or just a coincidence...

It was raining today..wonder if that would interfere...wouldn't think so..

For me, it works about 80% of the time. For the other 20% I look like a bloody idiot trying to rip the door handle off because it hasn't unlocked itself...very annoying actually. Sometimes I find this happens even when I have the remote in my hand the smart entry will not work. I have to press the unlock on the remote before I can get in @$@#!

I suspect it could be radio interference depending on where I park. With my inlaws Kluger V1, whenever I parked at the local Coles, the remote on it would never work. Even tried pressing it under the wheel arch didn't work! Always had to use the key to open the door.

Works fine for me.

Works fine for me.

Even my wife find it ok.

I think that my wife originally had a problem.

Because she doesn't need to take the key out of her handbag, she found that if her bag was too low and far away from where the sensor is, it didn't always work. I think she just lifts her bag a little now.

I have always had the key in my pants pocket.

Never had a problem (they key is always in my pants pocket). It actually works when your palm is "inside" the handle but not actually touching it.

Are you sure about this? I just tested it and it only opens when physical contact is made to the back of the handle.

You are saying it opens for you even without you physically touching any part of the door handle? Do you have hairy fingers or something? (j/k)

Will go and test now (need to wax my fingers 1st)...

Are you sure about this? I just tested it and it only opens when physical contact is made to the back of the handle.

You are saying it opens for you even without you physically touching any part of the door handle? Do you have hairy fingers or something? (j/k)

Works fine here but can be a pain, its easier to unlock from a distance if more people in the car, my wife drives me nuts using it instead of from a distance, I am left standing waiting for her to use it

Works fine here but can be a pain, its easier to unlock from a distance if more people in the car, my wife drives me nuts using it instead of from a distance, I am left standing waiting for her to use it

Works great for us both.

Has any one noticed if you walk past the car at night with the keys the lights sometimes turn on? :ph34r:

Works great for us both.

Has any one noticed if you walk past the car at night with the keys the lights sometimes turn on? :ph34r:

Yes, I think that is a standard feature. When it detects the key, the internal lights come one. And also the red LED on the remote starts to flash.

Can someone tell me the point of the 'headlights on' feature though. My headlights remain on after I have turned off the engine and turn off as soon as I open the door! I know in some cars, the headlights remain on for a preset time as a safety feature. I am not sure what the logic is here with the lights turning off as soon as the driver's door is opened....

I know in some cars, the headlights remain on for a preset time as a safety feature. I am not sure what the logic is here with the lights turning off as soon as the driver's door is opened....

You can do that. I think you have to get to a dealer to do so.

Nevet noticed... do the lights need to be on Auto for this?
Works great for us both.

Do you lock your car at home?

I never seen that

Well I first noticed this on the Kluger we took home for an overnight test drive. I was testing out the smart entry to see how sensitive it was and what distances it works from. When the car senses the remote, whether it be passenger, driver or rear boot sensors, the interior lights come on even before the car is unlocked.

Also you don't have to be parked at home to notice this. Go out any place at night and I generally notice this as I go to open the door. I guess there is only a split second between the sensor picking up the remote and when the door actually gets opened. Maybe that is why most people don't know about this feature....

Edited by rzkman