how low is too low

wil_rolla

hi all,

i'm looking to lower my '02' corolla but i just wanted to get some feedback from

all you other guys and girls out there with lowered corolla's.

i know that the legal hight is 100mm or so..

i love the look of the king spring super lows but i'm not interested in having the cops on my back all the time,

so i'm looking at just the lows, not super..

how low can i drop the car before it's illegal??

will the lows still keep me legal??

have any of you guys out there had any trouble from cops??

king springs or pedders, any recomendations??

king springs seem to be highly prased around here, does anyone have anything bad to say about them or pedders,

i was told that you can get your springs compressed, and that way you can choose how low you want to go, true???

my car has no body kit and standered exhaust,

and imagin my car has a set of corolla sportivo rims (which i'm still trying to source out :help: )

thanks

Lows are no problem at all.

Kings are 'highly praised' around here, as you put it, simply because they are cheap and easy to come by. In fact there are a couple of sets for sale in the Buy/Sell section right now...

If 3-4 four fingers (vertically) doesnt clear the tyre to the top of the arch then thats too low,My opinoin would to use common sense before coolness probably becoz I wen I was workin for coventrys & spare parts was easily procured (sometimes before purchasing) I fitted super lows to cover my 16s & they lookd great until the car was loaded)

So always think clearances loaded & unloaded,It'll save from the cozzers & premature wear of tyres (being low profiles they'de be pricey) & It affect driving performance..

how low can i drop the car before it's illegal??

I would also run any planned lowering past your insurance company since they are the ones who pay out if there is an accident. They don't care if it is legal still, if you are lower than their company policy they wont care.

I ran super lows in the rear and low in the front to get the car to sit level. I had 215/40/17 on it and loaded(5 Adults) had no dramas at all. the offset of your wheels also will play a big part in whether or not they scrub. My sportivo handled as good as any car with coilovers(also had koni's in it) and for normal everyday driving it rode great. My wife drove the car 90% of the time and never complained about the ride at all.

• 2 months later...
I ran super lows in the rear and low in the front to get the car to sit level. I had 215/40/17 on it and loaded(5 Adults) had no dramas at all. the offset of your wheels also will play a big part in whether or not they scrub. My sportivo handled as good as any car with coilovers(also had koni's in it) and for normal everyday driving it rode great. My wife drove the car 90% of the time and never complained about the ride at all.

Sorry to dig up an old thread... but i am also looking at running this setup (Lows Front, S/Lows rear) on my car.. but with KYB Excel Gas Shocks.... just wanted to know what offset you were running on your 17's with that setup?

I'm planning on runnin 215/45-17 on my +40 Offset SSA's