towing

DHOUS

Has anyone fitted one and where did you locate the controller, my thoughts are under the steering column or somehow utilising the small storage compartment on the right of the dash or the open storage in the centre above the console?

Has anyone fitted one and where did you locate the controller, my thoughts are under the steering column or somehow utilising the small storage compartment on the right of the dash or the open storage in the centre above the console?

Interesting to know the reason behind electric brake control?

I am about to install one and I am mounting mine attached to the bottom of the dashboard panel below the small compartment you are suggesting.

Interesting to know the reason behind electric brake control?

Taka the electric brake control is required to operate the electric brakes on a caravan or heavy trailer.

I am about to install one and I am mounting mine attached to the bottom of the dashboard panel below the small compartment you are suggesting.

Don Houston

Thanks for the feedback let me know how it goes, my concern is knocking it with your knee when entering and getting out of the seat, also the manual lever if you ever have to use it will require you to reach and take your eyes off the road,

the idea of having it under the steering column if a special standoff bracket is made the units screen can be viewed through the bottom spoke of the steering wheel and the manual lever could be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

Edited by Don Houston

• 1 month later...

Don Houston

Thanks for the feedback let me know how it goes, my concern is knocking it with your knee when entering and getting out of the seat, also the manual lever if you ever have to use it will require you to reach and take your eyes off the road,

the idea of having it under the steering column if a special standoff bracket is made the units screen can be viewed through the bottom spoke of the steering wheel and the manual lever could be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

SAMF how did you go with your installation? have you had it wired up and trialed it for towing settings etc, I mounted mine under the steering column for a trial period and am happy to make it permanent, yet to wire it.

• 2 weeks later...

Don Houston

SAMF how did you go with your installation? have you had it wired up and trialed it for towing settings etc, I mounted mine under the steering column for a trial period and am happy to make it permanent, yet to wire it.

Still have not mount mine, but I must do it within the next two weeks as I have just bought a new caravan. I will let you know how I go.

• 2 weeks later...

Don Houston

Still have not mount mine, but I must do it within the next two weeks as I have just bought a new caravan. I will let you know how I go.

Hi Don, Just finished installing the Prodigy Electric Brake controller, all working well. Attached is a picture of the mounted Prodigy unit. No problem with hitting with my knee as it is to far away.

post-7031-1213945358_thumb.jpg

thanks SAMF looks good, does it comply with the angle allowed in the instructions, what are you going to tow and what load, I have a Van which will be all up close to the 2 tonne, but I have no doubt the Kluger will do it easily as I have towed a similiar van with a series 2 Commodore ute 5 sp manual and it was pretty damn good and economical, its a pity that Toyota have put a 2tonne towing limit on the Kluger I believe it could handle 2.5tonne easily.

thanks SAMF looks good, does it comply with the angle allowed in the instructions, what are you going to tow and what load, I have a Van which will be all up close to the 2 tonne, but I have no doubt the Kluger will do it easily as I have towed a similiar van with a series 2 Commodore ute 5 sp manual and it was pretty damn good and economical, its a pity that Toyota have put a 2tonne towing limit on the Kluger I believe it could handle 2.5tonne easily.

Hi Don, I have static tested it and works, this model Prodigy because it is all electronic, can be mounted up to 70 degrees from the horizontal. The way it is mounted on the Kluger it is about 45 degrees. I have bought a new Jayco Pop-top caravan (17 foot) the GMT is 1365 Kg ATM will be about 1575Kg, so well within the Kluger's specs of 2000 Kg. Have not towed it yet, but am leaving for Queensland for 6-8 weeks in mid July.

Have you installed yours under the steering column as yet ?

Hi Don, I have static tested it and works, this model Prodigy because it is all electronic, can be mounted up to 70 degrees from the horizontal. The way it is mounted on the Kluger it is about 45 degrees. I have bought a new Jayco Pop-top caravan (17 foot) the GMT is 1365 Kg ATM will be about 1575Kg, so well within the Kluger's specs of 2000 Kg. Have not towed it yet, but am leaving for Queensland for 6-8 weeks in mid July.

Sorry SAMF I have been sent to northern coast NSW on another project and the Kluger is sitting at home with nowhere to go, I definitely will install it under the steering column,

I have three wiring jobs that I would like alldone at the same time.

Hot wire to anderson plug on rear end adjacent to the trailer plug.

tap into the lightstalk wiring in the steering column for the fog lights I have fitted

Wire up the prodigy controller.

Then we are good to go, I hope to return back to Geelong in 2-4wks so I will not be able to report back to you until after that.

Your Van sounds great, hope it all goes well, the Kluger will pull it easily, be interesting how the fuel goes, smooth tecnique and choice of cruising speed will be the answer, some recommend 90Km/hr I would definitely go for 100Km/hr with your van and I believe the results will be better, use manual shft when starting up hills in preference to applying the accelerator. good luck and have a great break.

Did you setup the controller to any procedure? do you intend to fine tune it again with the Van on?

Sorry SAMF I have been sent to northern coast NSW on another project and the Kluger is sitting at home with nowhere to go, I definitely will install it under the steering column,

I have three wiring jobs that I would like alldone at the same time.

Hot wire to anderson plug on rear end adjacent to the trailer plug.

tap into the lightstalk wiring in the steering column for the fog lights I have fitted

Wire up the prodigy controller.

Then we are good to go, I hope to return back to Geelong in 2-4wks so I will not be able to report back to you until after that.

Your Van sounds great, hope it all goes well, the Kluger will pull it easily, be interesting how the fuel goes, smooth tecnique and choice of cruising speed will be the answer, some recommend 90Km/hr I would definitely go for 100Km/hr with your van and I believe the results will be better, use manual shft when starting up hills in preference to applying the accelerator. good luck and have a great break.

Did you setup the controller to any procedure? do you intend to fine tune it again with the Van on?

Hi Don

I am retired so I have plenty of time and I normally tow the van at 90-95 kmh. I found that with my V8 Calais the difference between 95 and 90 kph meant a cruising range difference per tank of about 50-100Ks. I normally set up the Prodigy controller on the road. I set it at its lowest level of boost and apply the brakes a few times to warm them up and then increase the boost until I can just feel the caravan brakes being applied. This is the setting I then normally leave it on. I find that first thing in the morning when leaving caravan parks that the brakes grip a bit until they get warm, but no dramas.

Just I word of caution if you are going to install your unit under the steering column, make sure it is well away from the knee airbag that is under the column, otherwise it will interfere with its operation.

Just remember your true speed is quite a bit slower than indicated just above 100kph on Kluger Spedo is an actual 96.0kph on a certified speed measurement device (see my own test below), and this offset if typical across the useful or applicable speed range.

So when people drive past you giving yo a dirty look and a finger out the window there is good reason! your driving way too slow and should not p1ss off other normal road users cause your a stinking jew trying to save $10 off your fuel bill lol :lol:

To sit an an actual 100kph your speedo needle needs to be on line with the right hand edge of the second "0" in the 100 on your dial ;) and dead on 110kph your only doing really 105kph so stand little chance of getting booked or p1ssing off other motorists while on your fuel miser mission :rolleyes:

klugrice7vq9.jpg

85 kph is one of the most ideal speeds you can do to minimize fuel usage, but do you really want piles of rubbish thrown at your car as people pass you with immense pent up frustration? and rightly so I must say!

I don't want to add to the road rage on our roads and will drive at the posted speed limits, driving at speeds under it only really serves to give others the ****s and its totally pointless in a car as powerful as the Kluger.

With towing, if there is two lanes in the one direction, go the fuel efficient speed if you like, when its only one lane, if you dont want to or dont feel comfortable, when you can pull over and let the cars go. I did this on a rough pieces of road where i felt uncomfortable going the limit.

Its courteous to do so and also place less stress on you knowing they are on their way.

85 kph is one of the most ideal speeds you can do to minimize fuel usage, but do you really want piles of rubbish thrown at your car as people pass you with immense pent up frustration? and rightly so I must say!

I don't want to add to the road rage on our roads and will drive at the posted speed limits, driving at speeds under it only really serves to give others the ****s and its totally pointless in a car as powerful as the Kluger.

"Rice cracker" strikes again, quite the oracle,

In relation to towing caravans there is a Caravan World magazine that came out earlier this year, it featured an article on the Kluger and a 16 foot pop top, they talked about Toyotas criteria for the transmission 1800rpm 100klm/hr that the computer looks at, they experienced irregular in and out of O/D at 90klm/hr, Toyota recommends manually locking out of O/D when towing at this speed. the test gave a 17ltr/100km return.

where I am coming from is that my experience with the Kluger on the open road I got consistently better instantaneous readings for fuel consumption at 100Km/hr than at 80-90km/hr (my best run over 50klm was 8.3). Not Towing of course

So I am saying to SAMF if he gets out on a quiet open stretch no hills and good weather try it and let me know what your results are. I believe you will do better than their 17ltr/100km.

In relation to the speed argument there is also a tachometer installed for your convenience.

good luck

DONH

In relation to towing caravans there is a Caravan World magazine that came out earlier this year, it featured an article on the Kluger and a 16 foot pop top, they talked about Toyotas criteria for the transmission 1800rpm 100klm/hr that the computer looks at, they experienced irregular in and out of O/D at 90klm/hr, Toyota recommends manually locking out of O/D when towing at this speed. the test gave a 17ltr/100km return.

where I am coming from is that my experience with the Kluger on the open road I got consistently better instantaneous readings for fuel consumption at 100Km/hr than at 80-90km/hr (my best run over 50klm was 8.3). Not Towing of course

So I am saying to SAMF if he gets out on a quiet open stretch no hills and good weather try it and let me know what your results are. I believe you will do better than their 17ltr/100km.

In relation to the speed argument there is also a tachometer installed for your convenience.

good luck

DONH

Was the story about towing with the Kluger referring to the new model or the previous? It's just that if talking about manually locking out O/D, that would mean the older models with the overdrive button on the shifter. That would mean that whatever testing was done for fuel consumption would be irrelevant.

If you are on a flat road, 80kmh should be the optimum speed for economy, as 5th gear should have engaged and wind resistance is minimal at 80kmh. As your speed increases above 80, wind resistance will definitely affect fuel economy, and much more so when towing anything, especially a caravan.

I never tow anything, so it doesn't apply to me, however I can't see any reason for someone towing not to go slower than the speed limit as long as they are courteous and let people pass when it is possible.

As for the speedo inaccuracies in the Kluger, I now generally only trust the GPS, not the speedo. It even gives different inaccuracies depending on whether you accelerated or decelerated to the speed you wanted.

good luck

DONH

Was the story about towing with the Kluger referring to the new model or the previous? It's just that if talking about manually locking out O/D, that would mean the older models with the overdrive button on the shifter. That would mean that whatever testing was done for fuel consumption would be irrelevant.

If you are on a flat road, 80kmh should be the optimum speed for economy, as 5th gear should have engaged and wind resistance is minimal at 80kmh. As your speed increases above 80, wind resistance will definitely affect fuel economy, and much more so when towing anything, especially a caravan.

I never tow anything, so it doesn't apply to me, however I can't see any reason for someone towing not to go slower than the speed limit as long as they are courteous and let people pass when it is possible.

As for the speedo inaccuracies in the Kluger, I now generally only trust the GPS, not the speedo. It even gives different inaccuracies depending on whether you accelerated or decelerated to the speed you wanted.

Sorry Mikeyboy I dont agree and yes the article was the new model KXS I would give you the details but I dont have access to the magazine at the moment, in a week or so I will quote you the exact details.

good luck

DONH

Sorry Mikeyboy I dont agree and yes the article was the new model KXS I would give you the details but I dont have access to the magazine at the moment, in a week or so I will quote you the exact details.

For those that are interested the magazine was Caravan World Feb 2008 edition.

and I quote:

Toyota recommends that sport or 4th gear be selected when towing ("In order to maintain efficient engine,braking and electrical charging performance," Toyota say's).

While it handles 5th gear on flat gound quite easily, inclines do cause the transmission to shift up and down as it unsuccessfully attempts to settle down to its 1800rpm at 100kph fifth gear cruise.

end quote,

I have some reservations about these statements particularly the electrical charging, but you make of it what you want.

What I have suggested if you want good economy, try to maintain that 1800rpm/100kph and think ahead when 4th is required select it manually dont stab on the juice keep it smooth, put it back to 5th when it feels comfortable and settled on 100kph.

maybe some time down the track we can all provide our findings and best technique's.

I have also a report from a friend towing a small pop top with Hyundai sante fe who also experienced erratic transmission shifting at 80 - 90kph.

Good luck

Don

• 1 month later...

If anyone has carried out their own wiring or has any information on the following questions some feedback would be appreciated.

1. Patching the blue wire into pin 5 of the 7 pin plug, the Kluger has a pre wired harness under the rear deck compartments, when the tow pack is installed the plug and associated wiring is routed up into this area and plugged into the harness and also an installation of a trailer ECU module. I would assume this is where you would patch in the service brake wire from the prodigy controller? But you would need to be sure there is no chance of feedback to this ECU?

2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram and details of the prewired harness and trailer ECU?

3. It may then be possible to wire in back at the origin of this pre wired harness?

4. The US forum Toyotanation has a good rundown on prodigy install but the writer does not touch on this subject and appears that he may not have had this pre wired harness in his Highlander and therefore wired directly to the plug. He also suggested that the brake switch was difficult to access(I agree) and he patched into a grey wire on the converter? Box under the dash in his case LHS, the Kluger does have a similair box under the RHS “Converter”? I am a bit uncertain of this ?

The wiring of the Prodigy is a very simple exercise on paper but on the Kluger is made very difficult by lack of access and options to patch in wires.

I have successfully routed the wires through the bonnet release cable grommet and into the wheel arch (also a bit tricky and tight going).

If anyone has any feedback on the above it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Don