Replacement/Reconditioned 1994 Camry engine ADVICE PLEASE!!

sakura

hi there friendly people!

ive recently purchased a 1994 Camry, with about 200k on the dial, and a cylinder blown.

i was thinking of replacing the engine, and wanted to know if anyone out there has done it, and how much is an average price?

also, what are the models and types of engines that are compatable with mine. is it an easy task to put a v6 in?

and finally, any advice please on somewhere to find a well priced replacement or reconditioned engine in Sydney.

thanks people!

:)

im guessing you have the 4 cylinder?if so basically what you would do is just replace the engine with another 5sfe, or get the one you have rebuilt. if you do have the 4 cyl one than the v6 is (practically) out of the question. if you really want more performance im guessing you can put a 3sgte in a camry (can any1 confirm this?) if it originally had a 5s.

Yeah you could swap with a V6 -3VZ-FE or 1MZ-FE, or even a 3SGTE.

However all of those options are going to cost big dollars.

Personally I would look into rebuilding the engine you have depending on its condition of course and if your happy with NA 4Cyl rather than swapping out your engine.

My reason for this is that any engine you find cheap is gonna have well over 100 000km on it and you wont know a thing about it's history.

5SFE's are prone to sludge and grit as well as blowing there heads around 200K so buying one with say 160K cheap and putting it in your car is kinda so so in my opinion (might get a few years out of it before your back in trouble).

At least if your engine is worth rebuilding you can start with a clean slate once it's done and have a great car for a long time after.

i did this exact swap with my brother on his wife's car. i'd suggest getting a low klm donor engine (same 4cyl engine) from an importer - you can get them with warranty etc and really i wouldn't think it would cost much more than about $700, but make sure you shop around. it's a pretty easy swap over just use a slow and steady approach. if it's a manual, lining the clutch back up is about the hardest thing, but just take your time and think through the process carefully and it won't be too difficult. you'll need the usual tools for an engine transplant - decent hydraulic jack, engine stands, engine crane, sockets, spanners etc + you may as well replace all filters (oil [+new oil of course], air, fuel) & spark plugs at the same time & it's also the perfect opportunity to do the timing belt and clutch, should they require replacement.

engine swap overs are very satisfying, rewarding, and you get to learn quite a lot about your car in the process.

if you decide to get someone to do this for you, expect to pay between $800 and $1000 for labour + the cost of any replacement parts such as those outlined above.

-oh yeah, so you don't end up with a big mess on dad's driveway, make sure you drain the tranny fluid before separating the gearbox from the engine!

Edited by anothercamry

• 4 weeks later...

I own a 94 Camry Vienta Ultima that has 240K on the clock.

It is a V6, and this model has all the fruit of it's range.

It stunk of fresh burning oil everytime I took her up hills etc.

Wanted to merely replace the rear main seal, turns out the whole engine was in dire need of an overhaul.

The overhaul would normally cost $4700 - I got mine done wholesale for $3560. I got mine done at a well-known firm (which I am reticent to mention, but these guys are usually expensive @$100/hr).

The 2.2 Litre engine would cost about $2100 (or thereabouts).

An engine exchange is a little bit cheaper. About $1800-2000 for the 4 banger, and ~$3000 for the 6.

Just my $0.02c.